Here's the question is there a GPS that I can get for my phone that will work best in Costa Rica and to they use data or just run off the network? We have a garmin but think it only has the maps for North America. Thanks
    02-11-17 01:07 PM
    Here's the question is there a GPS that I can get for my phone that will work best in Costa Rica and to they use data or just run off the network? We have a garmin but think it only has the maps for North America. Thanks
    Seriously, if you don't want to get eaten alive by Pumas in the Costa Rican jungle, then use professional GPS equipment if you value your life. Rather buy maps @ Garmin for your GPS Device. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssues-1052626/
    02-11-17 01:31 PM
    At a 140 bucks no way ,I just need it for driving and getting around the areas over there , waze navigation looks like it could be the one, I just need to confirm that someone has used it over there and that it doesn't require data witch I believe if figured out it doesn't require data only network for the GPS
    02-11-17 02:31 PM
    At a 140 bucks no way ,I just need it for driving and getting around the areas over there , waze navigation looks like it could be the one, I just need to confirm that someone has used it over there and that it doesn't require data witch I believe if figured out it doesn't require data only network for the GPS
    Aside from Waze, you could also simply use Google maps and download "offline maps" of the area(s) you need. But here's the thing, notwithstanding available normally good working apps, the GPS module in the Priv just isn't reliable at all to an awful lot of people all over the globe. The thread (and the links therein) I referred you to just speaks for itself. The GPS just hardly finds the satellites and rarely locks, which becomes extremely frustrating when it yet again happens when you need it the most. I speak from experience since I travel a lot throughout Europe. I can't imagine it would be any better in a place like Costa Rica. I'm just saying that if you decide to only (!) rely on your Priv and its GPS, that I wouldn't be surprised if you threw the Phone out of your car window sooner or later because satellites don't or hardly lock because GPS signal will keep on searching GPS signal. Personally, I don't need that kind of frustration, especially not in a place that I'm not familiar with (or speak the language of).
    02-11-17 03:06 PM
    Really that bad ?? **** . So your suggesting to use the offline Google maps over the waze app? I've used waze quite a bit and it's very impressive. I definitely don't want to throw the priv out the window lol cause I do like it . All this aside I do have a big data plan witch I will bring with me to Costa Rica it's 6 GB and if necessary I will use it ,that being said what app can u recommend that do use data and is as reliable as say waze . Cheers 🍻
    02-11-17 03:36 PM
    Really that bad ?? **** . So your suggesting to use the offline Google maps over the waze app? I've used waze quite a bit and it's very impressive. I definitely don't want to throw the priv out the window lol cause I do like it . All this aside I do have a big data plan witch I will bring with me to Costa Rica it's 6 GB and if necessary I will use it ,that being said what app can u recommend that do use data and is as reliable as say waze . Cheers ������
    Personally (when I still had an iPhone that never had any GPS issues whatsoever) I have always used both Waze and Google maps with a strong predilection for Google Maps because of its simplicity. I find their: "Offline maps" feature very handy. Make sure you download those often big maps at home already or @ your hotel using their WI-FI network (if they have any). Depending on the map selction you're making, offline maps can be 1GB. It would be a waste to download it using your credits.

I'm not saying all GPS modules in all Privs are botched, but the chances that they are aren't small imho. But if you used your Privs GPS a lot in the past and never ever encountered issues where both 2 GPS apps continue to search for GPS signal, then you might have a good one; but would you trust it when your life depends on it (in a country where you perhaps don't speak the language of)? I would certainly not after my experiences with BlackBerries and I would prefer to buy a cheap Tom Tom navigation kit @ Walmart or wherever. You can read my major misfortunes in that thread I referred you to. I have stopped using GPS apps with my Priv as I found it unreliable beyond words. Will be buying the Mercury, hopefully in 3-4 weeks. Since it isn't made by BlackBerry any longer but by TCL, perhaps it has their GPS module which hopefully will be more trustworthy. BTW, I always had bad luck with GPS modules inside BlackBerry phones. 8900 Javelin/9900 were $hitty too in that regard. If more people are coming along with your road trip, I would suggest that you have a back up GPS plan. Have all accompanying people install both Waze and Google Maps on their phones (if you really don't have the funds to fork out a cheap GPS kit and/or Garmin road maps for the area you're going to). And even though it sounds stupid, I would maybe buy a cheap physical road map at a gas station as another back up. Yeah, I know, it's not the way it supposed to be in this era of smartphones, but as you can imagine, I have little trust in BlackBerry's GPS issues after my(!) misfortunes. P.S. would be interesting to read about your GPS adventures when you come back. Best of luck.
    02-11-17 04:30 PM
    Thank you for all your input very helpful, I did try the Google maps off line thingy and I found the area that we are visiting in Costa Rica and got it downloaded, but from there I'm stuck it won't let me do really anything else after that I just get this
    Attached Thumbnails traveling to Costa Rica need a GPS for my priv-51872.jpg  
    02-11-17 04:48 PM
    Thank you for all your input very helpful, I did try the Google maps off line thingy and I found the area that we are visiting in Costa Rica and got it downloaded, but from there I'm stuck it won't let me do really anything else after that I just get this
    There is a lot to find via Google in this regard.
    Google for: how to use offline maps google

For example:
    Use offline areas

After you download an area, use the Google Maps app just like you normally would. If your Internet connection is slow or absent (note: or tuned off), you'll see a lightning bolt and Google Maps will use your offline areas to give you directions.

Get directions and see routes
    Use navigation
    Search for locations

Note: You can get driving directions offline, but not transit, bicycling, or walking directions. In your driving directions, you won't have traffic info, alternate routes, or lane guidance. You also can't modify routes like avoiding tolls or ferries.
    https://support.google.com/maps/answ...rm%3DiOS&hl=en

Maybe someone else can still chime in with additional info, but I think Waze/Google Maps (and perhaps "Here" (Nokia) & "GPS Navigation & Maps Sygic") are the top dogs for off-line navigation. I hardly have any experience with the two latter apps, but you could extensively try them before your trip to see if they are something for you. But like I said, even tho all these GPS apps can be perfect companions under perfect conditions, if the GPS module inside your Priv isn't working 100%, you will jettison your Priv sooner or later like I almost did a couple of times before realizing that I almost paid 700 Euro's for it.
    02-12-17 06:01 AM
    There used to be an app called NavFree (I think it is now called NavMii) that would let you download off line maps for different countries or areas of the world. I am sure it is in PlayStore.

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    02-12-17 08:51 AM