It feels like for a few versions of Android now, apps have been managed pretty aggressively. Just checked my Priv and it has 37 apps in the multi window, some still open from probably a month ago. Think if it gets past about a dozen currently, the phone will start trimming them.
    09-09-22 01:21 AM
    It feels like for a few versions of Android now, apps have been managed pretty aggressively. Just checked my Priv and it has 37 apps in the multi window, some still open from probably a month ago. Think if it gets past about a dozen currently, the phone will start trimming them.
    Keep everything closed.
    09-09-22 06:30 AM
    Keep everything closed.
    Maybe you don't follow my question - is there a way to *NOT* close everything?
    09-09-22 05:40 PM
    Your first post doesn't seem to indicate a problem, is there an issue not having 37 apps open? They are not actually open because they tiled up..
    09-09-22 06:06 PM
    I'm not following what you mean by "for a few versions of Android now".

The current version of Android is 12, but the Priv only got up to Android 6... from 2015 - 7 years ago.

That's not very "now".
    09-09-22 07:11 PM
    I'm not following what you mean by "for a few versions of Android now".

The current version of Android is 12, but the Priv only got up to Android 6... from 2015 - 7 years ago.

That's not very "now".
    So I first noticed this on my key1 when it got Oreo (more than a few versions ago, admittedly) and by "now" I mean my pixel 6a.

Like many other phones I've tried, it refreshes and gets rid of apps pretty regularly (unlike the Priv example) and even if I'm just trying to check back between a couple recent apps (say I'm comparing a site in chrome to the notes I have in my notepad - the chrome app will very easily try to "refresh" and I'll have to scroll back to the point on the page that I need, etc)
    09-10-22 08:41 AM
    Your first post doesn't seem to indicate a problem, is there an issue not having 37 apps open? They are not actually open because they tiled up..
    Well, as I understand it they actually are "open" in some sense, since they're in the "recently" roledex. The biggest benefit is their windows show exactly the part of the app you were last looking at, so you're able to glance back at exactly what you were looking at w out even going into the app (even if it's an app opened so long ago, that once you do go into it, it does completely refresh the screen and reloads everything)
    09-10-22 08:44 AM
    It takes memory to keep all of those apps "open".
    09-10-22 10:22 AM
    It takes memory to keep all of those apps "open".
    Right exactly. Is there a way to bump up the restriction on memory (if there is such a thing) and allow them to remain open longer? Right now I have a list of 12 apps in my pixel 6a multi window, and I find this to be about the avg it keeps open (I've used well more than double that) and actually the 37 I have open on my Priv are from 3 weeks ago when I used it last - I've had 50 or more open at times, it was another of my party tricks hehe, scrolling thru this endless list of apps it could keep open w out closing them down.
    09-10-22 11:46 AM
    Right exactly. Is there a way to bump up the restriction on memory (if there is such a thing) and allow them to remain open longer? Right now I have a list of 12 apps in my pixel 6a multi window, and I find this to be about the avg it keeps open (I've used well more than double that) and actually the 37 I have open on my Priv are from 3 weeks ago when I used it last - I've had 50 or more open at times, it was another of my party tricks hehe, scrolling thru this endless list of apps it could keep open w out closing them down.
    For the record, when exiting an app you're swiping up and out, or do you use the back function?

Maybe try turning off adaptive battery in settings.
    09-10-22 01:06 PM
    For the record, when exiting an app you're swiping up and out, or do you use the back function?

Maybe try turning off adaptive battery in settings.
    Well, usually I'll end my use of an app by tapping home, as I've got the 3 button nav setup that I've grown so used to over the years (actually another selling point of the 6a for me was this flexibility) but when I'm describing "open" apps it's those in the list of recent apps you get by tapping the square nav button (via gesture control I believe it's a swipe up from the pill and then a brief hold (or a swipe up and to the right on iPhone)).

The thing w adaptive battery is that it's a bit of a vague desc, and I'm not exactly sure of all the processes it can be involved in. For the day or so, when my 6a developed surprisingly poor battery life, turning it off did not seem to have any effect.

Hoping someone has come across a more specific setting, such as for ex I remember in developer options there's an option to terminate a process (like an app) upon exit - I'm kind of looking for almost the opposite of that.
    09-10-22 02:07 PM
    All those apps were never actually "open". It's basically a list of screen shots of those apps as you switched to another one.

Only a few of those are actually still running in the background - up to the ram limit of the device. Usually because there are a lot of system level services that are also running in the background taking up some of that ram too.

I don't know what's up with that Pixel, but I regularly find a bunch of apps in my recent apps list on my Samsung S20 FE, my Amazon Fire Tablet HD8, and a very old Kindle Fire 1st Gen tablet that I rooted and run Android 4.4 on. I know that old Kindle Fire has next to no ram, yet it still shows all the recent apps. But what happens is many of them are shut down already and simply reload if you pick it from that list. It's just more noticeable on the old tablet because it's so slow.
    09-10-22 02:13 PM
    Well, usually I'll end my use of an app by tapping home, as I've got the 3 button nav setup that I've grown so used to over the years (actually another selling point of the 6a for me was this flexibility) but when I'm describing "open" apps it's those in the list of recent apps you get by tapping the square nav button (via gesture control I believe it's a swipe up from the pill and then a brief hold (or a swipe up and to the right on iPhone)).

The thing w adaptive battery is that it's a bit of a vague desc, and I'm not exactly sure of all the processes it can be involved in. For the day or so, when my 6a developed surprisingly poor battery life, turning it off did not seem to have any effect.

Hoping someone has come across a more specific setting, such as for ex I remember in developer options there's an option to terminate a process (like an app) upon exit - I'm kind of looking for almost the opposite of that.
    Hitting the home button would keep the app cached at the current screen it's at, but the app wouldn't be running. Tapping back would have the app close without caching the current screen which is what you wouldn't want, so we're all good from that standpoint.

Turning off adaptive battery would keep the system from clearing the cached processes if it decides on its own that you don't want it cached - I'm not sure how much battery is saved from doing that in reality.

The next thing I was going to suggest is to make sure that battery optimizations are turned off for all apps that you do not want to keep refreshing.
    09-10-22 02:21 PM
    All those apps were never actually "open". It's basically a list of screen shots of those apps as you switched to another one.

Only a few of those are actually still running in the background - up to the ram limit of the device. Usually because there are a lot of system level services that are also running in the background taking up some of that ram too.

I don't know what's up with that Pixel, but I regularly find a bunch of apps in my recent apps list on my Samsung S20 FE, my Amazon Fire Tablet HD8, and a very old Kindle Fire 1st Gen tablet that I rooted and run Android 4.4 on. I know that old Kindle Fire has next to no ram, yet it still shows all the recent apps. But what happens is many of them are shut down already and simply reload if you pick it from that list. It's just more noticeable on the old tablet because it's so slow.
    They aren't running, but they take up memory holding the app in place.
    09-10-22 03:35 PM
    Just get used to closing them when you are done with them. Keeping them pinned the recent apps just cloggs resources.
    09-10-22 03:37 PM