Using search here on Android CB and I cannot seem to find a step by step process to wipe a Blackberry 10 device. I am getting ready to sell my Cobalt Classic and White Passport (both are like new with boxes, accessories, etc) and I want to ensure the next user for whoever might be interested has zero issues logging in and using.

Thanks in advance-
    01-20-19 03:19 PM
    Using search here on Android CB and I cannot seem to find a step by step process to wipe a Blackberry 10 device. I am getting ready to sell my Cobalt Classic and White Passport (both are like new with boxes, accessories, etc) and I want to ensure the next user for whoever might be interested has zero issues logging in and using.

Thanks in advance-
    Disable BlackBerry Protect both on the device and online. Confirm it's off.

Perform a security wipe, or use an autoloader.
    01-20-19 03:46 PM
    Thank you
    01-20-19 04:20 PM
    I'd use an autoloader because the security wipes can take HOURSSSSSS. Autoloader will wipe and reinstall the OS in a matter of minutes.
    01-21-19 12:30 PM
    I'd use an autoloader because the security wipes can take HOURSSSSSS. Autoloader will wipe and reinstall the OS in a matter of minutes.
    For the average user, the two may be equivalent, but I believe a security wipe scrambles the storage memory in a way that cannot easily be recovered with advanced forensic tools. An autoloader doesn't do that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-21-19 12:34 PM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    You're wrong. - the autoloader completely wipes the device and writes over everything giving you a pristine OS. Nothing previously on the device will be retrievable. And, by the way, that security wipe software is a disaster. In the same league as BlackBerry Link. Avoid the security wipe and save your sanity.
    01-21-19 12:55 PM
    You're wrong. - the autoloader completely wipes the device and writes over everything giving you a pristine OS. Nothing previously on the device will be retrievable. And, by the way, that security wipe software is a disaster. In the same league as BlackBerry Link. Avoid the security wipe and save your sanity.
    My understanding is that the autoloader certainly gives you a fresh OS, but it does not write over every byte with random data the way a security wipe does. As I said, for most users they are equivalent, but they are not identical. That's why a security wipe takes substantially longer.

Are you saying that a security wipe does not systematically destroy all data, or are you saying that an autoloader does?

I think an autoloader is like a fresh install of Windows on a reformatted hard disk. The OS is completely new, but much of the underlying data from any previous installation can be retrieved by someone with the right forensic tools. The indexing has been destroyed, but the data has only been partially overwritten.

01-21-19 01:26 PM
    Are you saying that a security wipe does not systematically destroy all data, or are you saying that an autoloader does?
    I am now backtracking and admitting that YOU are NOT WRONG. My apologies. After further research, it does seem that a disc overwritten with an autoloader may be able to forensically give up data that was on the disc before being reloaded. I was always under the opinion that autoloader=security wipe but now I realize, although good enough for MOST folks, there is that difference. If you are looking to totally remove all previous data so that nothing is recoverable, do the security wipe. Me personally, I have no patience to let that thing run for 2-5 days but ymmv. Once again, my apologies to you bb10adopter111.

p.s. If the security wipe does indeed wipe everything how would we really know, I mean without the resources of the FBI?
    01-21-19 02:11 PM
    If one ever needs to do a true security wipe, it's still best to run an autoloader first. Then the wipe will take a matter of minutes instead of hours or days.
    brookie229 and Vladislavt like this.
    01-21-19 03:44 PM
    If one ever needs to do a true security wipe, it's still best to run an autoloader first. Then the wipe will take a matter of minutes instead of hours or days.
    Good to know!
    01-21-19 03:49 PM
    Great advice! The ONLY time I'd do a security wipe would be when transferring the phone between users, just like I'd do for a PC hard drive either with a utility or by using the /P parameter with the Format command.

01-21-19 04:02 PM
    I got a Z10 that has little "usage" on it and I did a security wipe (which also reloads default apps) in about 45 minutes, even said something about "backing up apps.." at the beginning and in the last 25% it said "installing Default Apps" (here's an image of it) I initiated it from BB Link app on a PC and it only asked once "are you sure" than BAM! it said something like "the device must be disconnected to complete secure wipe.." Then it restarted and asked the standard setup questions like a brand new phone! Is there a step by step process to correctly wipe a Blackberry 10 device?-img_20190614_023448_edit.jpg
    06-14-19 05:28 AM
    I got a Z10 that has little "usage" on it and I did a security wipe (which also reloads default apps) in about 45 minutes, even said something about "backing up apps.." at the beginning and in the last 25% it said "installing Default Apps" (here's an image of it) I initiated it from BB Link app on a PC and it only asked once "are you sure" than BAM! it said something like "the device must be disconnected to complete secure wipe.." Then it restarted and asked the standard setup questions like a brand new phone! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190614_023448_edit.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	444825
    If you're selling it or giving it away, make sure you disabled BlackBerry Protect prior to the wipe, or it will ask for it during the setup process.
    06-14-19 06:34 AM