Hi everyone. Long time Bold 9930 user here, Sprint branded.
    TMobile tech support is telling me that that phone is on an industry-wide list of phones which are no longer compatible with the various networks.

In recent days my 9930 very regularly drops back to 1G from 3G and shows the 'Roaming' warning. TM says that that's my phone, not them. Disconnecting the carrier via the check box, then reconnecting the carrier, results in 'searching for CDMA', then successful connection to 3G, and with a minute or two, 'Roaming' and 1G.
    I have tried different batteries to no avail.
    Finding good quality batteries for that 9930 is an entirely separate issue; new 10 yr old BBRY JM1 batteries from EBay will not hold but a small charge. The best batteries I now have are good for not more than 1/2 day of very light use.

Sprint, now T-Mobile, is CDMA on 3G and below. I have a couple pristine Verizon-branded 9930's. Verizon is also CDMA. Might one of those Verizon-branded 9930's with my TM SIM card installed, connect up to and work on TM's CDMA network?
    If yes, then I need to track down how to disable the password to get into one or both of those EBay-sourced phones purchased by a sibling years ago now.
    If one of those Verizon-branded 9930s would work properly, and would hold 3G, that would buy me some time.

Anyhow, my 9930 has to be moved off of the phone plan it is on, and soon. I seem to have been forced to part company with the person owning that phone plan.

A local TM store in my area, East side of Akron Ohio, tells me that my choices are a separate plan or a prepaid plan. That is of course if TM will accept that Bold 9930 onto either a separate or a prepaid plan, thus my searching for that obselete phones list.
    TM's IMEI checker on TM's web site says that my 9930 'may not be compatible with TM's network'.

It will not surprise me to be forced into a later technology phone.
    I have searched high and low on Crackberry and elsewhere for a list of BBRY phone models showing which phones are being forced off the carrier networks, versus which phones will soon be, versus which are likely safe for some while.

Just because a BBRY model is 4G or LTE doesn't mean it is a safe choice, now or in the near future.
    By the way, do the 4G and later BBRY phones make it easier to move an unlocked phone from one carrier to another, for example from TMobile to whomever?

I wanted to find a list showing which networks are the default access, such as CDMA.

Why not just buy a recent technology new or used phone? I am a senior and have enough arthritus and carpal tunnel in my hands and fingers that virtual keyboards are a major frustration. I have a notepad with such a keyboard which I find nearly unusable for any significant typing.

Why not a new phone, a decent Android or iPhone phone? An iPhone I will not go near. I would strongly prefer as secure an Android phone as I can find. Why not a new phone? Very very limited fixed income senior here...

This isn't the first such question you fine folks have seen posted, nor will it be the last such question.
    Whatever suggestions or links you can offer I will much appreciate!

Red
    01-13-21 01:50 PM
    TMobile tech support is telling me that that phone is on an industry-wide list of phones which are no longer compatible with the various networks.

In recent days my 9930 very regularly drops back to 1G from 3G and shows the 'Roaming' warning. TM says that that's my phone, not them. Disconnecting the carrier via the check box, then reconnecting the carrier, results in 'searching for CDMA', then successful connection to 3G, and with a minute or two, 'Roaming' and 1G.
    Finding good quality batteries for that 9930 is an entirely separate issue; new 10 yr old BBRY JM1 batteries from EBay will not hold but a small charge. The best batteries I now have are good for not more than 1/2 day of very light use.

Sprint, now T-Mobile, is CDMA on 3G and below. I have a couple pristine Verizon-branded 9930's. Verizon is also CDMA. Might one of those Verizon-branded 9930's with my TM SIM card installed, connect up to and work on TM's CDMA network?
    If yes, then I need to track down how to disable the password to get into one or both of those EBay-sourced phones purchased by a sibling years ago now.
    If one of those Verizon-branded 9930s would work properly, and would hold 3G, that would buy me some time.

Anyhow, my 9930 has to be moved off of the phone plan it is on, and soon. I seem to have been forced to part company with the person owning that phone plan.

A local TM store in my area, East side of Akron Ohio, tells me that my choices are a separate plan or a prepaid plan. That is of course if TM will accept that Bold 9930 onto either a separate or a prepaid plan, thus my searching for that obselete phones list.
    TM's IMEI checker on TM's web site says that my 9930 'may not be compatible with TM's network'.

I have searched high and low on Crackberry and elsewhere for a list of BBRY phone models showing which phones are being forced off the carrier networks, versus which phones will soon be, versus which are likely safe for some while.

Just because a BBRY model is 4G or LTE doesn't mean it is a safe choice, now or in the near future.
    By the way, do the 4G and later BBRY phones make it easier to move an unlocked phone from one carrier to another, for example from TMobile to whomever?

I wanted to find a list showing which networks are the default access, such as CDMA.

Why not just buy a recent technology new or used phone? I am a senior and have enough arthritus and carpal tunnel in my hands and fingers that virtual keyboards are a major frustration. I have a notepad with such a keyboard which I find nearly unusable for any significant typing.

Why not a new phone, a decent Android or iPhone phone? An iPhone I will not go near. I would strongly prefer as secure an Android phone as I can find. Why not a new phone? Very very limited fixed income senior here...

This isn't the first such question you fine folks have seen posted, nor will it be the last such question.

Red
    3G is being shutdown as we speak and will be completed at the end of the month. After that, no more calls or texts with BBOS.
    01-13-21 02:04 PM

Red
    T-Mobile inherited Sprint CDMA network as part of Sprint acquisition. T-Mobile is shutting down the 3G CDMA side as part of their own 3G GSM shutdown. With the risks of buying phone that could lose VoLTE support or some other problems therefore wasting your limited resources, I’d suggest buying from T-Mobile, whatever latest Android phone is your budget and preference. Otherwise, just buy a non-smartphone.
    01-13-21 02:09 PM
    Thank you Chuck.
    So, either buy a new 4G LTE phone from T-Mobile or whomever, or identify a pre-owned 4G LTE phone which will run on T-Mobile's or Verizon's or whomever's network?
    Per Wirecutter, the Nokia 6 at about $250 or the Motorola MOTO G Power at $220. Neither of which T-Mobile sells it appears.
    In the BBRY space, the choices seem to be KeyOne, KeyTwo, DTEK, Priv, Classic?, or which other BBRY phones are 4G LTE?
    To get a physical kb, the choice seems to be KeyOne or KeyTwo? Other threads suggest staying away from International phones. I am in Ohio USA and foresee no int'l travel.
    01-13-21 03:28 PM

Red
    Welcome to CrackBerry and ask your questions all you want.

BlackBerry BBOS powered phones require CDMA or GSM (3G and below) . T-Mobile and Verizon are shutting these down in the coming weeks. AT&T will still be operating their 3G network (in most areas), for another year.... but they no longer are activating those devices - so you can't move over. So other than those BBOS users already active on AT&T... this is the end.

BlackBerry BB10 powered phones do have LTE Bands, but they seem to be in a early class that doesn't support the newer VoLTE systems the carriers are using. So they aren't in much better position than BBOS

There are a number of BlackBerry powered phones.... but with Android UPDATE and PATCHES are a big part of security. So not sure that your desire for a secure phone can really be meet by any of these older devices from 2018 and before. And there just isn't a PKB option on the market at this time. Willing to risk it for a PKB... I'd get the KEY2 LE, if you budget allows.

But the other issue is few of the carriers officially support the BB Android phones... so hard to find on any compatibility list. Thankfully for you, T-Mobile does seem to be the most supportive...

Too be honest... iOS is probable the simplest solution, might be easier for a senior. But if it's not for you, a Pixel 4A is a lower cost Android phone that should get updates for several more years... and thus be secure (just no PKB).
    01-13-21 03:41 PM
    To get a physical kb, the choice seems to be KeyOne or KeyTwo? Other threads suggest staying away from International phones.
    And KEY2 LE
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-13-21 03:41 PM
    Dunt, much appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. You too, boon.
    IOS on the face of things does seem a simple solution. I however want nothing to do with Apple.
    Key2 phones on EBay right now start around $300 and go waay up from there.
    Just spent some time and will spend more in the Key forums on this board. I already get that the Key2 LE is an upgrade with the bigger Key2 keys and longer security updates ahead.
    01-13-21 04:17 PM
    IOS on the face of things does seem a simple solution. I however want nothing to do with Apple.
    Just spent some time and will spend more in the Key forums on this board. I already get that the Key2 LE is an upgrade with the bigger Key2 keys and longer security updates ahead.
    Based on your specific and unique situation, I would suggest a Unihertz Titan before I’d suggest any Key device at this point, if PKB is a must but I’m not sure how well it will do once 3G is shutdown. Pixel models, if you can deal with VKB, have awesome carrier support.

The point is to make your decision on what device your carrier sells from their branded selection to guarantee as much future support for as long as possible.
    01-13-21 05:31 PM
    Hi again Chuck and thank you again. I had never heard of that Unihertz Titan, fascinating concept and execution.
    Pardon my weak tech knowledge right now; I spent near a decade as sole 7x24 caregiver for my Mom. Didn't leave a lot of time and $$ to suss out what's going on in the phone tech world. So I am making up ground with help from people like you. TY!
    01-13-21 07:22 PM
    There are no planned security updates ahead for the BBMo devices. If security is really a concern, they just aren't an option for someone looking to buy a phone today and then keep it a few more years.

If I were you I'd go down to your local T-Mobile store... and pick a phone off the shelf that is current, and is FULLY supported now and in the future by them. And what might be on SALE for you.
    01-14-21 07:56 AM
    There are no planned security updates ahead for the BBMo devices. If security is really a concern, they just aren't an option for someone looking to buy a phone today and then keep it a few more years.

If I were you I'd go down to your local T-Mobile store... and pick a phone off the shelf that is current, and is FULLY supported now and in the future by them. And what might be on SALE for you.
    He did say that he wanted a phone with a keyboard...
    01-14-21 08:19 AM
    He did say that he wanted a phone with a keyboard...
    "prefer as secure an Android phone as I can find."

vs

"senior and have enough arthritus and carpal tunnel in my hands and fingers that virtual keyboards are a major frustration"

Sophie’s choice.... he can't really have both, can he.

His only real options for his budget are the KEYone or the KEY2 LE... but the KEYone is far behind on patches, enough so I'd drop it from consideration.

But while I'd say the KEY2 LE is fine to use right now... from a "secure" standpoint. I'm not really sure that's going to be the case six months from now or especially a year or more from now. Really depends on what vulnerabilities come about and how common the attacks become.

Frustration about typing is one thing, owning an always connected device that WILL have new vulnerabilities each and every month.... is more than a little frustrating. At least in my book.

I don't view the Titan as an option, nor do I think that the upcoming OM device is going to be budget friendly. Maybe the SE Mobile attachment (if it ever comes to market) might be an option.
    01-14-21 08:40 AM
    "prefer as secure an Android phone as I can find."

vs

"senior and have enough arthritus and carpal tunnel in my hands and fingers that virtual keyboards are a major frustration".
    One doesn't have to be in the above situation to find VKB's frustrating.

Let's not pretend that PKB's are solely needed from a medical standpoint, but rather a preference for those who can do fine on glass, but prefer actual keys.
    01-14-21 08:43 AM
    Hello again and I am thanking each of you for your thoughts and information.
    Sometimes advancing years and changing life circumstances teach us things that when younger we would never have thought of, let alone thought might become critically important, as in potentially life or death important.
    This old man lives by himself out in the country on a farm.
    Had a little skin surgery a few months ago. Wound was well cauterized when the excavation was complete. About 5 days later while standing in the kitchen nuking dinner, a small artery in that surgical site burst. Blood sprayed all over. Amazing how fast I was soaking big paper towel wads. Direct pressure was a total waste of time. Some say I lost around a quart. I thought of driving myself to ER, 15-20 minutes away, but decided I couldn't risk for example blacking out on the road. OK, call 911. Found out really quickly that touch screens do not cope with bloody fingers. I could not dial even 911 on that screen to save my life. Finally used one bloody finger on that kb to successfully dial 911.
    There is now an entry at the top of Contacts for 911 to save me time and fumbling. Couldn't figure out how to add a shortcut icon to that screen for 911 or I would have.
    01-14-21 09:28 AM
    Hello again and I am thanking each of you for your thoughts and information.
    Sometimes advancing years and changing life circumstances teach us things that when younger we would never have thought of, let alone thought might become critically important, as in potentially life or death important.
    This old man lives by himself out in the country on a farm.
    Had a little skin surgery a few months ago. Wound was well cauterized when the excavation was complete. About 5 days later while standing in the kitchen nuking dinner, a small artery in that surgical site burst. Blood sprayed all over. Amazing how fast I was soaking big paper towel wads. Direct pressure was a total waste of time. Some say I lost around a quart. I thought of driving myself to ER, 15-20 minutes away, but decided I couldn't risk for example blacking out on the road. OK, call 911. Found out really quickly that touch screens do not cope with bloody fingers. I could not dial even 911 on that screen to save my life. Finally used one bloody finger on that kb to successfully dial 911.
    There is now an entry at the top of Contacts for 911 to save me time and fumbling. Couldn't figure out how to add a shortcut icon to that screen for 911 or I would have.
    It is good to know what to do in an emergency.... most phones have several options for calling emergency service., like 911/Emergency call options on the unlock screen... but you do still have to slide the toggle on the screen.

I know on my iPhone all it takes is "Hey Siri, Dial 911". That will start a five second countdown with BIG "Emergency Call" on the display. I'm sure Google Assistant should be able to do the same on most Android phones. But other ways of doing it as well (hold power and volume up to provide the power and Emergency call options). (Phones for the Indian market, all have the press the power button three times to call - might be more a nuisance and than a feature)

I know some that are medically challenged, have gotten smart watches... because they will call based on some situations, like falling down. But that have simple manual options as well.
    01-14-21 01:48 PM
    Regarding when T-Mobile and when Sprint will be shutting down their GSM and CDMA coverage, I have now had two long calls with T-Mobile Tech Support, including 15 minutes of a Supervisor call. I was asking for some hard date when the Sprint shutdown would occur.
    No one has been willing or able to tell me, whether this month, the end of this year, 2021, or when.
    I now do understand more clearly that Sprint and T-Mobile continue operating their networks pretty much separately, as separate companies. I suppose that is to be expected thinking through the actual technical mechanics of T-Mobile acquiring Sprint and digesting that acquisition while keeping the revenues flowing from the Sprint customer base.
    As of Feb 1st 2021 my 9930 will drop off of that ex-friend's family plan. That order was entered into the Sprint system now 4 days ago, so I was told by the T-Mobile Supervisor. That phone plan change order action may or may not release the phone number I have been using, sidestepping the nasty legal contract involved, the Change of Ownership agreement.
    How this will all work out will be seen over the next 2 to 4 weeks.
    My thanks to each of you on this thread who have offered your thoughts and information and suggestions!
    Conite, Chuck, Dunt, the_boon, Thanks to you all!
    Red
    01-14-21 07:04 PM
    Regarding when T-Mobile and when Sprint will be shutting down their GSM and CDMA coverage, I have now had two long calls with T-Mobile Tech Support, including 15 minutes of a Supervisor call. I was asking for some hard date when the Sprint shutdown would occur.
    No one has been willing or able to tell me, whether this month, the end of this year, 2021, or when.
    I now do understand more clearly that Sprint and T-Mobile continue operating their networks pretty much separately, as separate companies. I suppose that is to be expected thinking through the actual technical mechanics of T-Mobile acquiring Sprint and digesting that acquisition while keeping the revenues flowing from the Sprint customer base.
    As of Feb 1st 2021 my 9930 will drop off of that ex-friend's family plan. That order was entered into the Sprint system now 4 days ago, so I was told by the T-Mobile Supervisor. That phone plan change order action may or may not release the phone number I have been using, sidestepping the nasty legal contract involved, the Change of Ownership agreement.
    My thanks to each of you on this thread who have offered your thoughts and information and suggestions!
    Red
    What state or part of the USA you located?
    01-14-21 09:24 PM
    Red
    Did they tell you that you'd be able to reactive your 9930 on a new line? From what I've heard, activation of non-VoLTE devices has already ended for T-Mobile and all their MVNO. So if your getting kicked off your existing plan and forced to open a new account, it sounds like the 3G shutdown "date" really doesn't matter in your case.

T-Mobile did say it might take up to three years to fully integrate Sprint into its operations and network setup. But they have put forth (incentives on devices and plans0s) efforts to transition people over from Sprint services to T-Mobile... which in most areas does offer more coverage.
    01-15-21 07:51 AM
    Dunt, you raised painfully valid questions. Thank you again. You certainly have crystalized my analysis.
    Unfortunately TM's IMEI checker fails those 9930 phones. That suggests to me that I may well NOT be allowed to add that 9930 to a new TM plan. Sounds like a 3rd TM support call is coming very soon, and maybe another 20 mile drive each way to the nearest TM store. Why? To ask the same questions and compare answers.
    The way this whole BBRY 9930 situation is spiraling around the bowl I am thinking that I will have to break my BBRY and pkb addiction, move to an unlocked 4G LTE phone with no physical kb, and join the 21st century. My only other choice seems to be to buy off EBay, a KeyTwo LE non-international phone, and hope it works ok for some while. But the Android version is an issue, as are recurrent pkb problem reports.
    A used KeyTwo LE at the low end will be about the same $$ as a new 4G LTE phone such as a Nokia 6.2 or a Moto G Power.
    A BBRY Evolve, a 2018 phone, has no pkb but does have the DTEK. However the Evolve was an India phone and brings very weak coverage for US bands. Nope.
    I want nada to do with anything Apple and as little to do with Google as I can achieve. I am already considering the Android version on each phone I look at, and my choices are limited to lower-end price points.
    Thank you again Dunt. Sigh ...
    01-15-21 04:51 PM
    Dunt, you raised painfully valid questions. Thank you again. You certainly have crystalized my analysis.
    Unfortunately TM's IMEI checker fails those 9930 phones. That suggests to me that I may well NOT be allowed to add that 9930 to a new TM plan. Sounds like a 3rd TM support call is coming very soon, and maybe another 20 mile drive each way to the nearest TM store. Why? To ask the same questions and compare answers.
    The way this whole BBRY 9930 situation is spiraling around the bowl I am thinking that I will have to break my BBRY and pkb addiction, move to an unlocked 4G LTE phone with no physical kb, and join the 21st century. My only other choice seems to be to buy off EBay, a KeyTwo LE non-international phone, and hope it works ok for some while. But the Android version is an issue, as are recurrent pkb problem reports.
    A used KeyTwo LE at the low end will be about the same $$ as a new 4G LTE phone such as a Nokia 6.2 or a Moto G Power.
    A BBRY Evolve, a 2018 phone, has no pkb but does have the DTEK. However the Evolve was an India phone and brings very weak coverage for US bands. Nope.
    I want nada to do with anything Apple and as little to do with Google as I can achieve. I am already considering the Android version on each phone I look at, and my choices are limited to lower-end price points.
    You can just buy a new Android phone that can be rooted, and install AOSP & anti-tracker software. Boom. No Google.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-...ng-and-modding
    01-15-21 05:00 PM
    Check out all the various prepaid offerings. ANY of them should be good for 2-3 years at least depends on what you spend. Friend of mine swears by the A21 for the price, however, you need to do you.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/home
    01-15-21 08:27 PM
    Question: which of the BB10 devices meet the VoLTE standard that my 9910 cannot meet? And are any of those BB10 devices 4G or LTE? Thanks.
    01-17-21 11:02 AM
    Question: which of the BB10 devices meet the VoLTE standard that my 9910 cannot meet? And are any of those BB10 devices 4G or LTE? Thanks.
    With about 95% certainty, no BB10 VoLTE compatibility. All BB10 LTE components and device internals are from 2012-2013 timeframe regardless of when devices were announced or released.

Unlike traditional device production, all BB10 PKB and VKB devices shared lots of the same internals due to having purchase commitments needing to get burned through.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-17-21 11:24 AM
    Thanks again Chuck
    01-17-21 01:16 PM
    I'm not sure what you will be doing.... I assume you want to keep your phone number, so maybe you wouldn't qualify as a "new line" which normally is how you get the best deals.

But between being a Sprint customer and being "forced" into an upgrade.... you might qualify for a heavily discounted devices. Don't assume you can't afford a nicer phone, until they give you all the options.

And doesn't hurt if you are willing to move to another carrier.... or at least for them to think that you might.
    01-18-21 07:47 AM
47 12