I love my Blackberry Q10, but have finally realized that it is time to upgrade to the KEYone. My network is AT&T. Should I be buying the phone unlocked from Best Buy or directly from AT&T? I've tried researching the Pros and Cons, but I just get overwhelmed and confused. My concern is not the price. My concern is with getting access to help when problems arise with the phone. When I've had issues with my Q10 I have gotten ZERO help from both AT&T and Blackberry. Any advice?
    09-02-17 07:05 PM
    I love my Blackberry Q10, but have finally realized that it is time to upgrade to the KEYone. My network is AT&T. Should I be buying the phone unlocked from Best Buy or directly from AT&T? I've tried researching the Pros and Cons, but I just get overwhelmed and confused. My concern is not the price. My concern is with getting access to help when problems arise with the phone. When I've had issues with my Q10 I have gotten ZERO help from both AT&T and Blackberry. Any advice?
    I don't have a K1 (Dtek60) but have been with Att since way back when they bought Cingular. I made the mistake on my first BB in 2003 from Att, I was always behind with updates and upgrades, plus being locked into their contracts. I hate Att, but they have the best coverage in SoCal. Ever since, I bought all my other six BB's direct from BlackBerry or unlocked thru authorized dealer. I don't know if things have changed with the whole BlackBerry Mobile thing or not, with how Branded phones get their security updates, or OS upgrades thru carriers. I for one haven't had a contract with Att in ten years, I always buy direct.... Good luck.
    09-04-17 12:29 PM
    The difference now is that certain features on modern phones are available only with a phone bought through AT&T. I know that wi-fi calling and HD voice are only on AT&T branded phones. You won't get those services on an unlocked phone used on AT&T, even if the phone is capable of it.

So, it depends on what you want out of your service. If those things aren't important to you, then go with what works best.

Except for a few instances, AT&T has only been a week or two behind everyone else on making security updates available on their phones. They are still way behind on full-on OS version updates - if they decide to even update a given phone model.

I've been with AT&T since the Cingular days too, but I honestly can't give any opinion on how they handle problems with phones. My first BlackBerry through them was the Pearl 8100, and to this day, I've never bothered AT&T with anything to do with my phone. All my OS updates were by me going and finding newer OSs released elsewhere and loading it myself. All the way until I retired my Z10 a month ago. I provided my own service for OS updates. I only dealt with AT&T on actual cell service - working with the plans, making deals and such. Even getting a lot of late fees refunded when we had personal issues several years ago. For service in that regard, they have been great for me.

I now have a Galaxy S8, so anything OS related will, for the first time for me, be strictly from AT&T. That will be a new experience.
    Last edited by joeldf; 09-04-17 at 01:05 PM.
    09-04-17 12:53 PM
    The difference now is that certain features on modern phones are available only with a phone bought through AT&T. I know that wi-fi calling and HD voice are only on AT&T branded phones. You won't get those services on an unlocked phone used on AT&T, even if the phone is capable of it.

So, it depends on what you want out of your service. If those things aren't important to you, then go with what works best.

Except for a few instances, AT&T has only been a week or two behind everyone else on making security updates available on their phones. They are still way behind on full-on OS version updates - if they decide to even update a given phone model.

I've been with AT&T since the Cingular days too, but I honestly can't give any opinion on how they handle problems with phones. My first BlackBerry through them was the Pearl 8100, and to this day, I've never bothered AT&T with anything to do with my phone. All my OS updates were by me going and finding newer OSs released elsewhere and loading it myself. All the way until I retired my Z10 a month ago. I provided my own service for OS updates. I only dealt with AT&T on actual cell service - working with the plans, making deals and such. Even getting a lot of late fees refunded when we had personal issues several years ago. For service in that regard, they have been great for me.

I now have a Galaxy S8, so anything OS related will, for the first time for me, be strictly from AT&T. That will be a new experience.
    Agree with everything you said. I "hate" Att mainly because they just keep swallowing every small carrier in their path, denying customers the choice to use a smaller Co
    Like Cricket..nope they just buy them like they did with Cingular.... I don't blame them, it's business! Also agree with you on th taking care of my every need billing wise, dispute wise, really anything I ask, once they see how long I have been with them (grandfathered) they will bend over backwards to accommodate me.

The HD Voice was a biggie when I went from my Unlocked Branded Priv to my Dtek60, but I have gotten used to it.
    How do you like the S8?
    09-04-17 02:26 PM
    The S8 is a nice phone. I've BlackBerry-fied it though. Using the BlackBerry keyboard, hub, calendar, contacts, tasks and notes. I went back and forth on the calendar app and the Samsung calendar app, but I've settled on the BlackBerry version now. Especially since the Nova launcher changes the date on the app icon, while Samsung's TouchWiz can't.
    09-04-17 03:33 PM
    Cool, thanks. I am looking at the 1+5, S8, or Pixel as a new phone to do the same with too, (BB suite) if BlackBerry completely shelves the Dtek60 by years end. I was really hoping the 60 would be a 2-3 year phone when I bought it in February. Still a BB fan at heart but can't see spending a bunch a cash waiting on them to decide what they are calling themselves month to month, or who will the support be handed off too month to month. Sad! It was a good 14 year run for me though.

Thanks for the info.
    09-04-17 03:48 PM
    Cool, thanks. I am looking at the 1+5, S8, or Pixel as a new slab to do the same with too, (BB suite) if BlackBerry completely shelves the Dtek60 by years end.
    I was really hoping the 60 would be a 2 maybe 3 year phone when I bought it in February. Oh well.. Still a BB fan at heart but can't see spending a bunch a cash waiting on them to decide what they are calling themselves month to month, what manufacturer has its logo on it month to month, who will the support be handed off too month to month. Sad! It was a good 14 year run for me though.

Thanks for the info.
    09-04-17 04:32 PM
    I am looking for clarification on something stated above.

Now that at&t is selling the KeyOne, will those unlocked versions, on their network, still not support advanced calling features? Those features will not be flashed in with an update?
    09-04-17 04:43 PM

Now that at&t is selling the KeyOne, will those unlocked versions, on their network, still not support advanced calling features? Those features will not be flashed in with an update?
    All I know is that I bought an AT&T unlocked Priv last year and it indeed had advanced. But at that time they were still selling the Priv.
    I can't speak to the K1 though. Maybe call or walk in to a store and ask?
    09-04-17 05:14 PM

My understanding is that AT&T only supports advanced calling features on devices that it sells. The excuse was so that if some feature were to cause issue with your phone, they wouldn't be responsible for replacement of your device.

That being said, I've had no problems using DTEK 50 and 60 on AT&T.

The argument for going factory unlocked was that you get updates direct and faster.
    That may have been the case with BBOS and BB10. With Android, I'm still waiting for DTEK60 update. Never got August on 60 but the PRIV and 50 got it at same time and my PRIV, I bought through AT&T. Furthermore, many Android OEMs push the carrier updates out to carriers first so they can be reviewed and they don't push out to factory unlocked before carriers have reviewed and sometime push out to carrier locked first.

OEMs are not going to upset carriers or risk losing their massive distribution channels. Face it, the OEMs care about the carriers who in turn are supposed to care about you.
    09-04-17 07:45 PM
    I will not recommend att. If you are getting some discounts on att then its may b good deal. Otherwise by unlocked from best buy and get your preferred carrier.

BlackBerry Passport
    09-05-17 12:37 AM
    It's not that simple anymore. It's to the point now that some features will not be available to you if you bring an unlocked phone to AT&T (and perhaps some other carriers as well).

Sure, it will still work as a smartphone, but it may all depend on what advanced calling features you want.

Plus, it's actually 50 bucks cheaper straight from AT&T, than either from Best Buy or Amazon right now.
    09-05-17 09:41 AM
    It's not that simple anymore. It's to the point now that some features will not be available to you if you bring an unlocked phone to AT&T (and perhaps some other carriers as well).

Sure, it will still work as a smartphone, but it may all depend on what advanced calling features you want.

Plus, it's actually 50 bucks cheaper straight from AT&T, than either from Best Buy or Amazon right now.
    I'm saying it again. Carrier locked in this situation is probably a better choice for this model. Sprint and/or AT&T wield far more power with TCL/BBMo compared to Amazon or general retailers. Coupled with this being a BBMo first in many categories, it makes sense to let a carrier do the heavy lifting.

Additionally, don't buy this device carrier locked and use carrier unlocked somewhere else. Buy this carrier locked and leave it there or buy factory unlocked if you plan on switching carriers.
    09-05-17 03:50 PM