Not saying updates don't matter, but "just get a new slab" is not an answer for those who are trying to keep using their beloved keyboard.
    Dual carry is very much a viable option, especially if the second supported slab device is in a wallet case acting as double duty and limiting bulk in other pocket, for example.
    Unfortunately that's a reality though. If you did a factory reset on your PKB device, what information do you feel is ok to have on your device in the event it's exploited; contacts, texts, emails or electronic notes?
    11-18-21 06:30 AM
    Unfortunately that's a reality though. If you did a factory reset on your PKB device, what information do you feel is ok to have on your device in the event it's exploited; contacts, texts, emails or electronic notes?
    Read my post #18 and tell me where the exploit would possibly come from.
    11-18-21 06:44 AM
    Read my post #18 and tell me where the exploit would possibly come from.
    It comes from any bad actor(s) that don't follow your "rules" of fair play and limit their actions to only bad internet neighborhoods or to only people that behave irresponsible on the internet highway.

In real life, criminals go to good safe neighborhoods because people have their guard down and fatal traffic accidents kill safe drivers following the rules that simply make a single mistake at worst time. The internet just simply magnifies that aspect because people visually don't see the virtual hazards around them.
    dmlis likes this.
    11-18-21 06:59 AM
    This is how I understand this:

There are different groups of people currently using or preferring a PKB handset or a BB branded handset:

1. Someone has a physical disability because of which he/she can write on a physical keyboard but not on a virtual keyboard
    2. Someone who is ideologically committed to PKB input method or the brand Blackberry, for whatever reason, or someone for whom getting rid of the physical keyboard would trigger psichological or emotional anxiety.
    3. Someone who, when all thing are equal, prefers a PKB (or the brand BB) but is not prepared to assume compromises for this aim (be that dual carrying, settling with a lesser spec device, lack of SW support, etc.)

Nobody want to convince Group 1. Group 2 cannot be convinced even if someone wanted to. But what is the problem if some posters here inform members of Group 3 about currently supported and available non PKB or non BB alternatives? Nothing.
    Except maybe someone who expects this site to serve as a safe space for PKB diehards and have their delicate feelings hurt because of this simple act described above.
    11-18-21 07:56 AM
    This is how I understand this:

There are different groups of people currently using or preferring a PKB handset or a BB branded handset:

1. Someone has a physical disability because of which he/she can write on a physical keyboard but not on a virtual keyboard
    2. Someone who is ideologically committed to PKB input method or the brand Blackberry, for whatever reason, or someone for whom getting rid of the physical keyboard would trigger psichological or emotional anxiety.
    3. Someone who, when all thing are equal, prefers a PKB (or the brand BB) but is not prepared to assume compromises for this aim (be that dual carrying, settling with a lesser spec device, lack of SW support, etc.)

Nobody want to convince Group 1. Group 2 cannot be convinced even if someone wanted to. But what is the problem if some posters here inform members of Group 3 about currently supported and available non PKB or non BB alternatives? Nothing.
    Except maybe someone who expects this site to serve as a safe space for PKB diehards and have their delicate feelings hurt because of this simple act described above.
    Fairly well put.

It's very unfortunate that no manufacturer cares about group 1. Offering burner style T9 phones is not a complete solution.

There's also group 4. Those who understand the pros and cons of each input method and still want a PKB because in their experience it gave them better results
    dmlis likes this.
    11-18-21 08:17 AM
    There's also group 4. Those who understand the pros and cons of each input method and still want a PKB because in their experience it gave them better results
    But is there really so much to gain from a pkb (over a modern vkb) that it's worth such a degraded experience with the other 90% of things done on a smartphone?

To me, this smells a lot like group 2.
    Last edited by conite; 11-18-21 at 08:42 AM.
    11-18-21 08:28 AM
    Fairly well put.

It's very unfortunate that no manufacturer cares about group 1. Offering burner style T9 phones is not a complete solution.

The OEMs care about Group 1 but it’s better served through a T9 input KB for most of that demographic group. Typical physical disabilities for many don’t just require ANY PKB, since a LARGER PKB or T-9 button for dexterity reasons.

I’ve noticed with people, many elderly, when an iPad VKB isn’t usable, it requires my laptop for electronic input from the client. It’s commonly misunderstood that elderly aren’t capable of using technology but often misunderstood the reason. I realized this more with my late mother. She often refused technology under pretense of lack of understanding but I realized over time it was really lack of physical ability or hand control plus the physical size of the screen.
    11-18-21 09:23 AM
    But is there really so much to gain from a pkb (over a modern vkb) that it's worth such a degraded experience with the other 90% of things done on a smartphone?

To me, this smells a lot like group 2.
    90% for some, but for others the typing part is quite significant.
    11-18-21 09:50 AM
    The OEMs care about Group 1 but it’s better served through a T9 input KB for most of that demographic group. Typical physical disabilities for many don’t just require ANY PKB, since a LARGER PKB or T-9 button for dexterity reasons.

I’ve noticed with people, many elderly, when an iPad VKB isn’t usable, it requires my laptop for electronic input from the client. It’s commonly misunderstood that elderly aren’t capable of using technology but often misunderstood the reason. I realized this more with my late mother. She often refused technology under pretense of lack of understanding but I realized over time it was really lack of physical ability or hand control plus the physical size of the screen.
    In that case, the prospective PKB smart/feature phone would have to have keys at least as big as the KEY2, preferably closer to the Passport.
    11-18-21 09:56 AM
    In that case, the prospective PKB smart/feature phone would have to have keys at least as big as the KEY2, preferably closer to the Passport.
    That’s my point though, Key2 button keys are too small for many of the disabled. Even T9 keys can be a struggle…it seems to eliminate many of your target demographic and explains why you don’t see QWERTY instead of T9 dumbphones.
    11-18-21 10:01 AM
    I am quite sure an automatic transmission would be the choice to enable attention to other details in piloting an automobile, and especially if you're plowing or pulling a trailer. That being said, I'll go with the stick shift every day of the week. I want a pkb for similar reasons. Typing on smooth glass or driving an automatic transmission isn't actually degrading but sure as hell isn't uplifting. I like tools, always have. A pkb feels more like an actual tool.
    Many, many folks drive older cars because they can still get from point "A" to point "B" and they enjoy the ride. If you feel your old BlackBerry isn't secure enough, just text and call with it and do your banking on your computer. That's what I'm currently doing on my Q10.
    My cell phone strategy is to buy a Titan and keep that as a backup phone if a new BlackBerry arrives.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-18-21 03:48 PM
    That’s my point though, Key2 button keys are too small for many of the disabled. Even T9 keys can be a struggle…it seems to eliminate many of your target demographic and explains why you don’t see QWERTY instead of T9 dumbphones.
    In that case, it would leave the market that wants detox style phones but would prefer one with a full keyboard for texting/WhatsApp/e-mailing purposes.
    boogywstew likes this.
    11-18-21 04:21 PM
    I am quite sure an automatic transmission would be the choice to enable attention to other details in piloting an automobile, and especially if you're plowing or pulling a trailer. That being said, I'll go with the stick shift every day of the week. I want a pkb for similar reasons. Typing on smooth glass or driving an automatic transmission isn't actually degrading but sure as hell isn't uplifting. I like tools, always have. A pkb feels more like an actual tool.
    Many, many folks drive older cars because they can still get from point "A" to point "B" and they enjoy the ride. If you feel your old BlackBerry isn't secure enough, just text and call with it and do your banking on your computer. That's what I'm currently doing on my Q10.
    My cell phone strategy is to buy a Titan and keep that as a backup phone if a new BlackBerry arrives.
    Yeah there's always that extra level of tactility with physical buttons/levers/switches that glass just cannot provide.

And don't waste your time on the Titan, but you may like the Pocket.
    boogywstew likes this.
    11-18-21 04:26 PM
    In that case, it would leave the market that wants detox style phones but would prefer one with a full keyboard for texting/WhatsApp/e-mailing purposes.
    Exactly but that's not a market that any carrier or even OEM has interest with.
    11-18-21 06:51 PM
    Exactly but that's not a market that any carrier or even OEM has interest with.
    It seems like it would be very cheap and easy to produce. Worth at least one shot!
    11-18-21 09:58 PM
    It seems like it would be very cheap and easy to produce. Worth at least one shot!
    It's smaller than dumbphone T9 and the carriers and OEMs know this. A regular PKB smartphone has more demand. So if the carriers and OEMs were going to offer a PKB then smartphone would be the strategy to pick. You've discovered the problem of niche products. Once no longer mainstream, it appeals to it's unique niche and those prospective customers make individual niche demands and refuse to move quickly to accept the initial offerings. Those niche customers will simply wait until the next model that is their preference. It's always the next one. They only move after it's too late and the compromise niche product offering had failed.

Just look at the PKB fragmentation here. Too big, too small, to low spec, not high spec enough, too cheap, too expensive. It's what BlackBerry Mobile experienced and now Unihertz experiences. Beggars can't be choosers and now here we are.
    11-19-21 07:59 AM
    I think if Punkt had seen any level of sucess... nothing breeds copycats like sucess.

But in the end the MP02 was too minimalistic at too high a price.
    11-19-21 08:30 AM
    I belong to the combination of groups 1 and 4. Probably not a real disability, but as my eyes became weaker I liked PKB even more than before.
    11-19-21 04:18 PM
    I used to use this phone because I needed a second phone number for work. But time goes on, and technology doesn't make a standstill. I recently found out an excellent chalkboard app that I can use to get a second phone number and many more different features that I can choose for myself. This app is excellent for business people and those who have to communicate with customers.
    Last edited by Lapskata; 02-01-22 at 04:14 PM.
    01-08-22 02:22 PM
    Voice, sms, mms still working fine on my att 99Q0. Jan 6, 22. No email nor browsing. But GREATEST single thumb typing ever, imo. Still. Till 3G shutdown? I doubt any carrier would knowingly activate any bbos, tho.
    01-08-22 10:26 PM
45 12