I am just vaguely asking about this, what would you recommend to buy as the cheapest blackberry to use as a basic phone with a tiny bit of smart feature now and again (gps, email, web browser, doc editing, youtube, 3g tethering/hotspot)..

Out of the super cheap second hand ones, are they all capable of these things even today in 2021?

Actually if they are, they are a unique phone as its one of the non iphone or android choices with a qwerty keypad that still gives you the smart phone basics yet without all that android crap, I mean the temptation to install addictive apps like Tinder and stupid games...

I need a digital detox and I have been fed up with my basic numerical phone. I would love to have options like tethering and a qwerty keypad as I hate touchscreens and numerical is so frustrating to write on! haha..
    11-16-21 08:20 PM
    I am just vaguely asking about this, what would you recommend to buy as the cheapest blackberry to use as a basic phone with a tiny bit of smart feature now and again (gps, email, web browser, doc editing, youtube, 3g tethering/hotspot)..

Out of the super cheap second hand ones, are they all capable of these things even today in 2021?

Actually if they are, they are a unique phone as its one of the non iphone or android choices with a qwerty keypad that still gives you the smart phone basics yet without all that android crap, I mean the temptation to install addictive apps like Tinder and stupid games...

I need a digital detox and I have been fed up with my basic numerical phone. I would love to have options like tethering and a qwerty keypad as I hate touchscreens and numerical is so frustrating to write on! haha..
    There are no BlackBerry devices worth buying under any circumstance.

Anything built in the last 6 years are well beyond security patch and support life.
    cgk likes this.
    11-16-21 09:12 PM

BlackBerry is shutting down their backend servers at the first of the year, that will most likely kill BBOS powered phones from a decade ago... Curves, Bolds..... BB10 powered devices could be functional to some degree, but BlackBerry warns they maybe unreliable, so that would be a risk. Depending on where you live and your carriers plans to roll out 3G.... BB10 might not even be an option at this point.

The later Android devices... are all now out of support as well. Stuck on older versions of Android that are not being patched. But due to the limited production of the last two, the KEY2 and KEY2 LE... neither falls into the cheap category.
    11-17-21 07:18 AM
    There are no BlackBerry devices worth buying under any circumstance.
    That's a bit of a stretch, it can be done safely as previously discussed.

And wow the irony of that sentence on a forum called "CrackBerry".
    11-17-21 07:45 AM

I've always been an advocate for security. I'm not going to change just because BlackBerry no longer has a secure device - that would be hypocritical.

Nor would I throw money at a device in 2021 that is not 5G.
    11-17-21 07:52 AM

How safely? By hopefully avoiding what appear to be “safe” websites that have been unknowingly compromised by third party bad actors?

The whole point of a mobile device is convenience. Having to dual carry a device simply because certain aspects just aren’t usable is ridiculous. If the device isn’t secure, other than CrackBerry, what exactly is the device good for?

Using BBAndroid is just as unsafe as using BB10 or even BBOS for information that should be kept safe for the average person. Whether it happens or how often it happens doesn’t change the unsafe aspect. The fact that Google publishes all the Android exploits like a DIY hacking guide only raises the probabilities of bad actors successfully using the published exploits.
    11-17-21 08:29 AM
    Digital detox.... they make apps for that
    dmlis likes this.
    11-17-21 08:49 AM
    "gps, email, web browser, doc editing, youtube, 3g tethering/hotspot"

I'd suggest any of the last three: Q10 or Classic or Passport. Whatever form/size you like and what you can get at a reasonable price and condition. Youtube and browsing will be not smooth, but that can help to "detox".

Safety concerns remain, of course.
    boogywstew likes this.
    11-17-21 12:33 PM
    The whole point of a mobile device is convenience. Having to dual carry a device simply because certain aspects just aren’t usable is ridiculous.
    Dual carry can be convenient for some people. I'm one of them.
    Actually, I "triple" carry sometimes: when I listen to music on my Sony player or I need the larger screen of the tablet or of the Kindle.
    Probably this is ridiculous.
    boogywstew likes this.
    11-17-21 12:42 PM
    Dual carry can be convenient for some people. I'm one of them.
    Actually, I "triple" carry sometimes: when I listen to music on my Sony player or I need the larger screen of the tablet or of the Kindle.
    Probably this is ridiculous.
    I’ve dual carried since 2006 but I’m just not sure the value of dual carrying a no longer supported device. For me, privacy and security extends to my contact list, phone calls, texts and emails.
    11-17-21 12:53 PM
    "gps, email, web browser, doc editing, youtube, 3g tethering/hotspot"

I'd suggest any of the last three: Q10 or Classic or Passport. Whatever form/size you like and what you can get at a reasonable price and condition. Youtube and browsing will be not smooth, but that can help to "detox".

Safety concerns remain, of course.
    And as long as the OP isn't in the US, where these can't even be activated anymore.

Will they work beyond Jan 4th else where?????
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 11-17-21 at 02:32 PM.
    11-17-21 01:22 PM
    I’ve dual carried since 2006 but I’m just not sure the value of dual carrying a no longer supported device. For me, privacy and security extends to my contact list, phone calls, texts and emails.
    I understand that. My Passport SE evolved into a typewriter and e-reader/media player eventually from the business device.
    11-17-21 02:15 PM
    I've always been an advocate for security. I'm not going to change just because BlackBerry no longer has a secure device - that would be hypocritical.
    On the other hand, it would also be hypocritical for a forum to call itself CrackBerry if people are constantly told to leave their Berry.

Nor would I throw money at a device in 2021 that is not 5G.
    Not everyone is in the US, and those who are, I doubt 4G LTE networks are gonna be unusable (resulting in dropped signals/calls/etc) as early as next year.
    11-17-21 07:50 PM
    On the other hand, it would also be hypocritical for a forum to call itself CrackBerry if people are constantly told to leave their Berry.
    More that people shouldn't INVEST in a BlackBerry at this point. Nor should we be disingenuous and suggest it's even close to being as secure as a currently updated, and patched device - regardless as to how it's used.

Not everyone is in the US, and those who are, I doubt 4G LTE networks are gonna be unusable (resulting in dropped signals/calls/etc) as early as next year.
    Have you ever been dropped from LTE to 3G when moving around?
    Last edited by conite; 11-17-21 at 08:23 PM.
    11-17-21 07:57 PM

When CrackBerry started, it was largely to help support BlackBerry users that were being let down from BlackBerry’s lack of consumer support although it was accepting it’s monthly SAF knowingly and happily. The CrackBerry forums are built on helping people with brutally honest answers when they need to be.

As far as dropping calls, for the last 5-6 weeks I’ve noticed a degradation in voice and data quality, since it appears I’ve lost some 3G coverage in my immediate area. It’s the reason I’ve been testing a Pixel 5a with 5G coverage on TMO/AT&T recently.
    11-17-21 09:06 PM
    More that people shouldn't INVEST in a BlackBerry at this point. Nor should they delude themselves into thinking its as secure as a currently updated, and patched device.

Have you ever been dropped from LTE to 3G when moving around?
    I think it could be VERY beneficial to (whatever's left of) the community if someone stickied a guide on how to safely use/dual carry a KEYBerry going into 2022.

The tips I mentioned before weren't necessarily exhaustive as I'm no security expert.
    11-17-21 09:30 PM
    I think it could be VERY beneficial to (whatever's left of) the community if someone stickied a guide on how to safely use/dual carry a KEYBerry going into 2022.

The tips I mentioned before weren't necessarily exhaustive as I'm no security expert.
    There is no safe way to use a KEY device - hotspot or not. It changes nothing.
    11-17-21 09:31 PM
    There is no safe way to use a KEY device - hotspot or not.
    That's not what you said when I mentioned the procedures I would take when dual carrying it with my Pixel.

Please explain, I would like to know how I would be at risk if:

-I don't download anything whatsoever that's not from a trusted developer/source on the actual Play Store

-I don't touch anything that involves logging into banking apps and making any financial transactions

-I don't connect to Public Wi-Fi's

-I don't visit any fishy websites

-I don't click on any links in, or even open any suspicious looking e-mails

If we are going on the basis that even an old Priv is not yet unsecure when first landing on the homescreen after the initial setup, what puts me at risk with a KEYBerry that's carefully set up?

What vector of attack could there possibly be if not through a public Wi-Fi network, or a malicious app/link?
    11-17-21 09:43 PM
    That's not what you said when I mentioned the procedures I would take when dual carrying it with my Pixel.

Please explain, I would like to know how I would be at risk if:

-I don't download anything whatsoever that's not from a trusted developer/source on the actual Play Store

-I don't touch anything that involves logging into banking apps and making any financial transactions

-I don't connect to Public Wi-Fi's

-I don't visit any fishy websites

-I don't click on any links in, or even open any suspicious looking e-mails

If we are going on the basis that even an old Priv is not yet unsecure when first landing on the homescreen after the initial setup, what puts me at risk with a KEYBerry that's carefully set up?

What vector of attack could there possibly be if not through a public Wi-Fi network, or a malicious app/link?
    You could ask the same question about ANY unsupported device - nothing improves by using a hotspot.

You can reduce your exposure by sensible behaviour of course, but updated & patched software reduces it substantially further.
    11-17-21 09:49 PM
    You could ask the same question about ANY unsupported device - nothing improves by using a hotspot.

You can reduce your exposure by sensible behaviour of course, but updated & patched software reduces it substantially further.
    It would be nice to have an explanation of how there is any exposure at all, if the above points are rigorously applied. I'm genuinely curious about that.

Prior to visiting here, I could not care less about any of this. But it does make sense how security updates are important with Google's publishing of vulnerabilities.

However, I also consider it somewhat important to enjoy the device that is all day in your hand or pocket, even after the 2 week honeymoon period. Having a fully supported device that leaves you bored doesn't seem ideal at all to me.
    boogywstew likes this.
    11-17-21 10:08 PM
    It would be nice to have an explanation of how there is any exposure at all, if the above points are rigorously applied. I'm genuinely curious about that.

Prior to visiting here, I could not care less about any of this. But it does make sense how security updates are important with Google's publishing of vulnerabilities.

However, I also consider it somewhat important to enjoy the device that is all day in your hand or pocket, even after the 2 week honeymoon period. Having a fully supported device that leaves you bored doesn't seem ideal at all to me.
    Even SMS, Play Store apps, and "good" websites can be compromised.

Also: "To protect devices from attacks that might exploit WebView's capabilities, Google recommends that all Android users run the latest version of the operating system and update WebView when prompted."

A large number of popular apps use Webview.
    11-17-21 10:19 PM
    Even SMS, Play Store apps, and "good" websites can be compromised.

Also: "To protect devices from attacks that might exploit WebView's capabilities, Google recommends that all Android users run the latest version of the operating system and update WebView when prompted."

A large number of popular apps use Webview.
    The Google SMS app automatically detects spam style messages and moves them there.

And thankfully WebView seems to be able to be updated even on an EOL device.

What's less risky, using an EOL KEYBerry as implied above, taking many steps to minimize any risks/exposure, or using a fully supported device such as a 4a, 5, 5a, 6/Pro and hanging out on fishy websites, downloading apk's from unknown sources and other careless usage?
    boogywstew likes this.
    11-17-21 10:29 PM
    The Google SMS app automatically detects spam style messages and moves them there.

What's less risky, using an EOL KEYBerry as implied above, taking many steps to minimize any risks/exposure, or using a fully supported device such as a 4a, 5, 5a, 6/Pro and hanging out on fishy websites, downloading apk's from unknown sources and other careless usage?
    Neither is safe. They are just different attack vectors.
    11-17-21 10:39 PM

Option 3: using an updated/patched device AND using your brain while doing so.

Webview updates, as suggested by Google, can only go so far without the matching OS updates. That close relationship is clearly demonstrated by the unusual behaviour with the HUB Suite exclusively with Oreo.

And yes, many apps can detect some kinds of payloads - IF they are known.

Security is a fast moving target and all cylinders need to be firing together. If you are tying to convince me that updates don't matter, you're wasting your time.
    Last edited by conite; 11-17-21 at 11:04 PM.
    11-17-21 10:52 PM
    Option 3: using an updated/patched device AND using your brain while doing so.

Webview updates, as suggested by Google, can only go so far without the matching OS updates. That close relationship is clearly demonstrated by the unusual behaviour with the HUB Suite exclusively with Oreo.

And yes, many apps can detect some kinds of payloads - IF they are known.

Security is a fast moving target and all cylinders need to be firing together. If you are tying to convince me that updates don't matter, you're wasting your time.
    Not saying updates don't matter, but "just get a new slab" is not an answer for those who are trying to keep using their beloved keyboard.
    Dual carry is very much a viable option, especially if the second supported slab device is in a wallet case acting as double duty and limiting bulk in other pocket, for example.
    11-18-21 06:14 AM
45 12