I currently have two BB10 smartphones not in use and pending for sale, a Q10 and a Q5. Likewise, my backup Z30 will soon be passed onto my father.

In the case of the Q10, is it advisable to remove the battery while being stored? What about the Q5, since the battery is non removable, are there are any negative effects? Should I turn it on every now and then?

Regarding the Z30‎, I bought it exactly one year ago in April and have recently updated it via Sachesi to 10.3.1.1784, as to allow my father to switch devices via Link (his Z10 has 10.3.1.1779). However, since he lives abroad, I'll be sending the Z30 in about one or two months time.

In the meantime, I've been using the Z30 at home for playing "Real Football 2013", watching some videos and browsing. However, I've been reflecting on whether this will ultimately affect the overall life expectancy of the battery or the device itself.

So what is recommended, to keep using the Z30 or security wipe it and put it away? In the latter case, as the battery is non removable as the Q5, if stored would there be any negative effects?

On the same note, what is more advisable for the Z30, a "Security Wipe" or a "Factory Reset" via Link?

Finally, what is the overall life expectancy of BB10 devices and/or its batteries?

Thanks for any input.‎

Sent from the powerful and masterful Passport!
    04-15-15 06:35 PM
    Anyone? Any ideas?

Sent from the powerful and masterful Passport!
    04-17-15 11:23 AM
    In my unqualified opinion:

In the case of the Q10, is it advisable to remove the battery while being stored? What about the Q5, since the battery is non removable, are there are any negative effects? Should I turn it on every now and then?
    Check it periodically and aim to keep the battery around 60% charged. I wouldn't remove the battery since there may be a non-removable on-board micro cell which could potentially discharge faster. If that battery is emptied, it may be the end.
    In the meantime, I've been using the Z30 at home for playing "Real Football 2013", watching some videos and browsing. However, I've been reflecting on whether this will ultimately affect the overall life expectancy of the battery or the device itself.
    An unused device is worthless. The value is realised in its use.
    So what is recommended, to keep using the Z30 or security wipe it and put it away? In the latter case, as the battery is non removable as the Q5, if stored would there be any negative effects?
    If you can keep using it, then do so, but don't neglect your expensive new device.
    On the same note, what is more advisable for the Z30, a "Security Wipe" or a "Factory Reset" via Link?
    Security wipe if there is super confidential data on it. Reload OS if not.
    Finally, what is the overall life expectancy of BB10 devices and/or its batteries?
    Some people say DOA, others have been using the same devices for years. It's just treating the device with respect and lots of luck.
    Lithium ion/polymer batteries will last 2-4 years if treated well. Keep them cool, avoid fast charging (heat dissipation) , don't empty completely, but don't leave on the charger for days or weeks. Irrespective of whether used or not, they will degrade over time.
    I reckon, since the devices are no longer being produced, neither are the batteries. So even buying a replacement battery will mean getting one that is a year old and somewhat knackered.
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    04-17-15 12:06 PM