Is there some combination of keys to press to revive it? It's apparently dead, except for the LED that comes on (red) for 2-3 seconds when I reinsert that battery...3rd time in 6 months.

Background details:

Loved 9800 so much I replaced it March 2016 with NIB AT&T 9810, from [pretty reputable] online 3rd party (no warranty, looked genuine) vendor. Love it BUT: This is the 3rd time it has gone "black screen" despite fully-charged battery (works well in old 9800). Pulling/reinserting battery, SIM, media card in all combinations/permutations does nothing. Laptop w/BBDM says "USB device not recognized" and "previously connected device malfunctioned...", so I cannot do anything that requires connecting 9810 to laptop.
    History:
    1st time: May? Stopped working, didn't see ANY lights; after trying everything I knew (admittedly not that much), I took it to AT&T shop where guy seemed totally UNfamiliar with older Blackberries. Confirmed it wasn't working, tried charging it in-store (no luck), checked battery (good), told me I'd dropped it in water (hadn't), told me the blue dot on back meant it had been exposed to water (not true; I informed him it was the white dot (still white) that turned green if exposed to H2O...which I think is true. While in AT&T store I noted that the red LED came on for 2-3 sec when he reinserted battery, which was the only sign of life, and I hadn't noted it earlier -- but maybe I wasn't looking at the front for those 2-3 seconds while I resinserted the battery myself... After he gave up, and just as he was about to disconnected it from in-store charging cable, it started booting up...and was fixed, for all intents and purposes. Neither he nor I had the foggiest idea why it had stopped working, or why it started again, but I assumed it had something to do with different (more powerful?) charging cables in-store, and was just happy it was working again. It had been down for about 4-6 hours.

2nd time -- mid-July?: Same routine. It had been on charge overnight, used for brief periods while I was waking up, froze on a browser screen and wouldn't shut down, had to remove battery to shut down, then wouldn't wake up -- except for the 2-3 sec red LED on reinserting battery. No signs of booting up at all (no white line, no signs of lights inside...). Researched online and came across some suggestions for pressing various buttons (NOT Alt/shift/delete!) for long periods of time. Finally left the computer I'd been using and kept trying to press buttons for long periods while driving home. Hadn't been looking at phone, so not even sure what buttons I'd been pressing -- or if that even had anything to do with it starting working again.

3rd time: today. Same as 2nd time. Screen froze while on a browser page, had to remove battery, no signs of life xcept brief red light on battery reinsert. Checked battery in old 9800, pulled SIM/media cards. Tried pressing various buttons together and separately for >30 seconds at a time...NOTHING. Tried connecting to BBDM - same msgs as last time. Have spent hours searching for combos of buttons to try pressing, but haven't found anything similar this time (and not sure that was it last time). One difference: this time I noticed that the red LED came on for LONGER (20 sec?) while I plugged it in to charging source (wall outlet or laptop), I think with battery OUT.

Soooo--- any ideas what has caused this? What I can do when it happens? Is it likely to happen every 6-8 weeks till the end of time?

N.B.: While typing this, with BB USB'd to laptop, IT HAS STARTED WORKING AGAIN!!!

When it happens, do I just need to wait 6 hrs or so (time elapsed today) and it will reset ITSELF? IS IT CURSED?????!!!

I have wasted this whole glorious holiday-weekend day trying to find some explanation/solution for the inevitable "next time", that won't take 6 hours of my being without my lifeline for phone/email/internet. You know how it is...

Any help/insight/suggestions are MUCH appreciated.
    09-04-16 05:37 PM
    As long as the SIM card is the same, what's wrong with buying a new 9810? It's unbelievably dirt cheap these days, anyway.
    JBBB1 likes this.
    09-05-16 01:49 AM
    This sounds awful. Yep I know what you mean about losing a day trying to fix something.

So what news since you posted this?
    JBBB1 likes this.
    09-05-16 05:37 AM
    As long as the SIM card is the same, what's wrong with buying a new 9810? It's unbelievably dirt cheap these days, anyway.
    Thanks for suggestion, Bhoqeem, but not sure another new 9810 would be any better, since I've no idea if it's a common (or fixable) problem. If it's actually something that nobody on this forum has ever heard of before, then chances are it IS a fluke, and a replacement would be the way to go...
    09-05-16 10:22 AM
    This sounds awful. Yep I know what you mean about losing a day trying to fix something.

So what news since you posted this?
    Thanks, Ursus. So far, so good: has continued working since it spontaneously started again while finishing yesterday's post...but it's now happened 3 times the same over 6 months, and I've NO IDEA why it bricked up or why it started again...so have that knot in my tummy because it's bound to happen again (6-8 weeks? tomorrow?) and I don't have any ideas on how to avoid that, or what to do if/when it happens again. In addition to your empathy -- which I really appreciate! -- I'm hoping someone else has experienced this and found a cure.

Yes, they are dirt cheap these days, as bhoqeem said (about a hundred bucks), so if I can't find a way to prevent/treat, I'll likely take his/her advice and get another one. Still, don't want to keep tossing 100's down the tubes repeatedly trying to find one that doesn't do the same thing...
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-05-16 10:35 AM
    Have you considered wiping it and reloading the OS? That was my go-to for anything major for all my BBOS devices, unless there were complications it was about an hour out of my day from plugging it in to fully ready to go. Your mileage may vary, of course; but since it's a used device there could be a reason it was up for sale. A fresh OS load could clear the cobwebs if you're up for it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Ursus Rufus and JBBB1 like this.
    09-05-16 01:27 PM
    Have you considered wiping it and reloading the OS? That was my go-to for anything major for all my BBOS devices, unless there were complications it was about an hour out of my day from plugging it in to fully ready to go. Your mileage may vary, of course; but since it's a used device there could be a reason it was up for sale. A fresh OS load could clear the cobwebs if you're up for it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yes I was thinking this also. As well as another thing, which may or may not be of any use. I know the OP said he had battery checked. But can't help but wonder, would a brand new battery, say a Duracel, from a place like Batteries+, possibly, maybe might help?
    If nothing else it's not a bad thing having a spare battery.
    JBBB1 likes this.
    09-05-16 02:31 PM
    Thanks, Ursus. So far, so good: has continued working since it spontaneously started again while finishing yesterday's post..
    Goood to hear that at least

...but it's now happened 3 times the same over 6 months, and I've NO IDEA why it bricked up or why it started again...so have that knot in my tummy because it's bound to happen again (6-8 weeks? tomorrow?) and I don't have any ideas on how to avoid that, or what to do if/when it happens again.
    Yeah. I hear you. Hate that feeling of anxiety.

In addition to your empathy -- which I really appreciate! -- I'm hoping someone else has experienced this and found a cure.
    I'm hoping for you too.
    And hey, empathy makes the world a better place. You're welcome!
    JBBB1 likes this.
    09-05-16 02:35 PM
    UH-OH!
    Ummmm.... Thot I had it under control, but Noooooo...

Preface: 1) BB was advertised as new by 100%-positive ebayer who sells LOTS, and I meticulously went through hundreds of his reviews before buying from him, looking for any hint of dissatisfaction. I inspected BB very critically on receipt, and could find NO reason to doubt that it or any of its parts were anything but new and authentic. Believe me, I tried. Worked beautifully for 1st 2 months, and in between these episodes. I really think it was never used. 2) The battery charges fine, maintains its life well, and works fine when I put it in my old 9800 (which, though held together with scotch tape and electrical tape for its last 2 years, is just physically too far gone for me to use daily). Putting the fully-charged battery from the 9800 in the 9810 doesn't help the 9810, so I doubt it's a battery issue, though I'd be willing to buy a new one -- as suggested, thank you -- if nothing else works.

Now, for the sad and detailed update:

After my original post, I DID find more info on various methods of "debricking" (a lot of the buzzwords/definitions are new to me; I'm new to this site, since I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM FOR 5 YEARS WITH MY 9800!!!!). Saved/printed a # of suggestions, "just in case", and went about my business. Didn't recall downloading any apps recently, but checked apps. Deleted a few. Didn't recognize Wikitude, but couldn't delete, so just moved it and another couple to "Games", since I never use BB for games, and figured they'd be out of the way. Revisited "games" to see if there was anything else I don't use that I could delete. Decided (stoopidly!) to click on Wikitude to see if I could make sure it was closed, if not delete from within. Without a "Delete" option on Menu, I pressed delete button on keyboard. A couple quick flashes thru some sort of formed images on the screen (too quick to remember), and it shut down. Again. Totally.

So I tried some of the fixes I'd found: what seemed to work was connecting it to laptop via USB (though laptop doesn't recognize connection, under these circumstances), then -- while connected -- pulling the battery, waiting a bit, then reinserting battery WHILE HOLDING THE BACK BUTTON. This had different effect, in that instead of the red led coming on for just 2 seconds when battery inserted, it STAYED on... so I continued to hold that back-button (as instructed in a debricking post for, I think, a STORM) for 20-30 seconds...until the red light went out and it started to boot itself up!

Great! I had the problem licked.....NOT. Decided, while it was working, to back it up AGAIN, and then decided, now that it was connecting to BBDTM and working normally, to review the apps via DTM on the laptop, and disable one or more that way, which I did -- including Wikitude (I don't mean to pick on that one, but it's the only one I don't remember adding or seeing on the phone before, even though it might have been included with it). I hit "apply" to put my changes into effect, and observed the cautions about not disconnecting anything during the process. Took a couple minutes, during which time the box on the laptop continued to say, essentially, ""updating your applications, don't disconnect till complete, don't screw with anything until your applications are updated". It finally said "updates complete", and "reboot: wait for device initialization" with a green spinner between the words "reboot" and "wait". Sure enuf, BB started to reboot, white line progressing and all (Hooray!). When it seemed done or almost done, the BB screen flashed white/grey (homogenously-colored screen) transiently (never done that before), then went to black again...with the red light on and steady this time. The box on the DTM page still says "Updating Applications. PLEASE WAIT WHILE YOUR APPLICATIONS ARE UPDATED.", below which it says "Do not disconnect this device before your update is complete. Below that: "Update Complete" [with green checkmark between the words; sorry I don't know how to do screen shot (Windows 10)], and below that: "Reboot [green spinning dial here] wait for device initialization". There is a 2-stripe "progress"-type bar (blue above, green below) underneath those words, which is now completely colored in, but shows waves running across it intermittently, as though there's still some action going on.

After everything stayed the same for 10 minutes, I decided that watching it wasn't going to make it boil, and left it. That was about 3 hours ago, and it hasn't changed. Nothing that says "initialization complete", just BB with black screen and steady red light, BBDTM Apps-removal box still saying "don't disconnect", though it says "update complete", and still with green dial spinning and waves washing along bicolor stripe.

So What Now? Do I dare disconnect the USB cable at this point? Do I dare try pulling the battery again? With cable connected? BTW, pressing "back" button or "on/off" button on BB (or Menu or phone) have no effect whatsoever.
    If I get past this, I WILL try reloading the OS (7.1), or another one if you guys think it would help, but right now I'm kinda stuck. Thought I'd best check with someone more knowledgeable before I rip both the battery and the USB cable out in frustration. At this point, though, I can't imagine that would make things any worse!

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it, especially if you are also in the States, and spending the Labor Day holiday this way!
    09-05-16 04:17 PM
    UH-OH!

Preface: 1) BB was advertised as new by 100%-positive ebayer who sells LOTS, and I meticulously went through hundreds of his reviews before buying from him, looking for any hint of dissatisfaction. I inspected BB very critically on receipt, and could find NO reason to doubt that it or any of its parts were anything but new and authentic. Believe me, I tried. Worked beautifully for 1st 2 months, and in between these episodes. I really think it was never used. 2) The battery charges fine, maintains its life well, and works fine when I put it in my old 9800 (which, though held together with scotch tape and electrical tape for its last 2 years, is just physically too far gone for me to use daily). Putting the fully-charged battery from the 9800 in the 9810 doesn't help the 9810, so I doubt it's a battery issue, though I'd be willing to buy a new one -- as suggested, thank you -- if nothing else works.

After my original post, I DID find more info on various methods of "debricking" (a lot of the buzzwords/definitions are new to me; I'm new to this site, since I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM FOR 5 YEARS WITH MY 9800!!!!). Saved/printed a # of suggestions, "just in case", and went about my business. Didn't recall downloading any apps recently, but checked apps. Deleted a few. Didn't recognize Wikitude, but couldn't delete, so just moved it and another couple to "Games", since I never use BB for games, and figured they'd be out of the way. Revisited "games" to see if there was anything else I don't use that I could delete. Decided (stoopidly!) to click on Wikitude to see if I could make sure it was closed, if not delete from within. Without a "Delete" option on Menu, I pressed delete button on keyboard. A couple quick flashes thru some sort of formed images on the screen (too quick to remember), and it shut down. Again. Totally.

So I tried some of the fixes I'd found: what seemed to work was connecting it to laptop via USB (though laptop doesn't recognize connection, under these circumstances), then -- while connected -- pulling the battery, waiting a bit, then reinserting battery WHILE HOLDING THE BACK BUTTON. This had different effect, in that instead of the red led coming on for just 2 seconds when battery inserted, it STAYED on... so I continued to hold that back-button (as instructed in a debricking post for, I think, a STORM) for 20-30 seconds...until the red light went out and it started to boot itself up!

Great! I had the problem licked.....NOT. Decided, while it was working, to back it up AGAIN, and then decided, now that it was connecting to BBDTM and working normally, to review the apps via DTM on the laptop, and disable one or more that way, which I did -- including Wikitude (I don't mean to pick on that one, but it's the only one I don't remember adding or seeing on the phone before, even though it might have been included with it). I hit "apply" to put my changes into effect, and observed the cautions about not disconnecting anything during the process. Took a couple minutes, during which time the box on the laptop continued to say, essentially, ""updating your applications, don't disconnect till complete, don't screw with anything until your applications are updated". It finally said "updates complete", and "reboot: wait for device initialization" with a green spinner between the words "reboot" and "wait". Sure enuf, BB started to reboot, white line progressing and all (Hooray!). When it seemed done or almost done, the BB screen flashed white/grey (homogenously-colored screen) transiently (never done that before), then went to black again...with the red light on and steady this time. The box on the DTM page still says "Updating Applications. PLEASE WAIT WHILE YOUR APPLICATIONS ARE UPDATED.", below which it says "Do not disconnect this device before your update is complete. Below that: "Update Complete" [with green checkmark between the words; sorry I don't know how to do screen shot (Windows 10)], and below that: "Reboot [green spinning dial here] wait for device initialization". There is a 2-stripe "progress"-type bar (blue above, green below) underneath those words, which is now completely colored in, but shows waves running across it intermittently, as though there's still some action going on.

After everything stayed the same for 10 minutes, I decided that watching it wasn't going to make it boil, and left it. That was about 3 hours ago, and it hasn't changed. Nothing that says "initialization complete", just BB with black screen and steady red light, BBDTM Apps-removal box still saying "don't disconnect", though it says "update complete", and still with green dial spinning and waves washing along bicolor stripe.

So What Now? Do I dare disconnect the USB cable at this point? Do I dare try pulling the battery again? With cable connected? BTW, pressing "back" button or "on/off" button on BB (or Menu or phone) have no effect whatsoever.
    If I get past this, I WILL try reloading the OS (7.1), or another one if you guys think it would help, but right now I'm kinda stuck. Thought I'd best check with someone more knowledgeable before I rip both the battery and the USB cable out in frustration. At this point, though, I can't imagine that would make things any worse!

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it, especially if you are also in the States, and spending the Labor Day holiday this way!
    Hold fast my friend. I'm seeing if I can either get you some real help (there are a few wizards around in other threads) or give you some good & safe advice.
    JBBB1 likes this.
    09-05-16 05:36 PM
    Not sure if it might help but you could ask your question in our Bold 9900 thread. Look it up: "9900: Resurgence of popularity!"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    JBBB1 likes this.
    09-05-16 05:46 PM
    Not sure if it might help but you could ask your question in our Bold 9900 thread. Look it up: "9900: Resurgence of popularity!"

Two problems with that - wrong device forum and cross posting. You've got eyes on it already there, we're leaving this one here.
    JBBB1 likes this.
    09-05-16 05:59 PM
    UH-OH!

Screenshots are great - in Windows 10 use the Snipping Tool to capture the window or screen as you choose, then tap here and follow instructions to upload.

Sleeping Beauty? What will awaken my 9810 so it will boot up? Keys to press?-img_20160905_180247_604.jpg
    JBBB1 likes this.
    09-05-16 06:04 PM
    Two problems with that - wrong device forum and cross posting. You've got eyes on it already there, we're leaving this one here.
    True that; understood. Just trying to extend the help-lines.

Thank you.

Thud Hardsmack and JBBB1 like this.
    09-05-16 06:15 PM
    Thanks -- gotta go do something, and will get back to this a little later tonight.
    09-05-16 06:29 PM
    1st, thanks for all the help, and apologies for not updating as I said I would last night, but a) BB was dynamic, so didn't know what to say, and b) my own personal battery was drained and hard drive nearly full...

2nd, BB is again working...for now.

Anyway, at some point last night I rationalized I could remove the battery without, technically, disconnecting BB from Laptop. That did nothing to change laptop screen message or, for a long time, red light on BB. So I played with putting battery in and out combined with pressing buttons (back, off/on...) in various combinations/permutations. Eventually, red light went out, but would come back on for 12 seconds (not the usual 1-2, or 20-30) when reinserting battery. But sometimes it was only for 1-2 seconds. At about this point I noticed BB was no longer connected to the USB cable, so I also disconnected USB from laptop and continued experimenting with battery pulls and inserts, and pressing before, simultaneously with (that was a challenge), and after red light coming on. Eventually I put device down and rechecked laptop screen for BBDTM and found the msg box saying not to disconnect had finally disappeared (thanks, Fret, for useful instrxns re screenshot!). When I looked back at BB, the red light was off and the white "booting up" line was showing, though it seemed stuck at about 2/3. I put it down, came back about an hour later, and BB was on home page and working. Apps had a couple I don't remember seeing before (e.g.,"ATT Family Map"), but don't want to risk trying to do ANYTHING right now, unless or until it stops working again. Which could be any minute now.

When I did the last backup yesterday, I also registered it on Balckberry Protect. I'm reluctant now to do ANYTHING more at the moment, as long as it's working, but do you still think I need to wipe it and re-install the OS?

BTW, under SETUP>OPTIONS>DEVICE>APPLICATIONS>BLACKBERRY 7.1.0 System Software it says the System Software was installed Sept.5 (yesterday) at 3:39 p.m. Didn't know I did that. Thought I was just removing unwanted apps..

Much to learn.
    Miles to go.
    Many, many thanks.
    ps apologies if I posted in the wrong place initially...
    09-06-16 06:26 PM
    Thanks for the update. Was wondering how you made out.

Maybe the OS update - however it happened - will help? Hope so!

Btw which exact version is it? You said 7.1.0 but usually a trailing number? 3 or 4 digits.. The Bungle Number I think it's called. (Kidding ) Bundle number
    JBBB1 likes this.
    09-06-16 11:55 PM
    "BlackBerry 9810
    smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)
    7.1 Bundle 2061 (v7.1.0.714,
    Platform 5.1.0.532)
    3G Bands 1,2,5,6..."
    and so on.

BB still working (there must be an emoticon for "fingers-crossed"?), though Wikitude and "ATT Family" still showed under "Games" (thought I'd deleted from BBDTM)...

I am so ignorant of these things...don't know the significance of any of this, let alone the myriad abbreviations/acronyms I come across when exploring my BB. Never needed to clutter my brain with it, and learned the minimum I needed in order to handle my 4 emails, type (I'm one of those oldies who MUST have a physical keyboard) a document, search for info, and use the phone...when all was working as it should. Now open to learning as much as possible. Wish there was a course in "Blackberry 101". So any and all info/advice/directions/suggestions welcome. This website, and those like you who've been willing to help, are a lifesaver.

In case it's not already obvious: I'm immensely grateful!
    09-07-16 01:17 PM
    "BlackBerry 9810
    smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)
    7.1 Bundle 2061 (v7.1.0.714,
    Platform 5.1.0.532)
    3G Bands 1,2,5,6..."
    and so on.

BB still working (there must be an emoticon for "fingers-crossed"?), though Wikitude and "ATT Family" still showed under "Games" (thought I'd deleted from BBDTM)...

I am so ignorant of these things...don't know the significance of any of this, let alone the myriad abbreviations/acronyms I come across when exploring my BB. Never needed to clutter my brain with it, and learned the minimum I needed in order to handle my 4 emails, type (I'm one of those oldies who MUST have a physical keyboard) a document, search for info, and use the phone...when all was working as it should. Now open to learning as much as possible. Wish there was a course in "Blackberry 101". So any and all info/advice/directions/suggestions welcome. This website, and those like you who've been willing to help, are a lifesaver.

In case it's not already obvious: I'm immensely grateful!
    Well it seems like it solved itself. But of course you are welcome & I wish you continued good luck. We are here if you need help again.

Regarding just knowing the minimum: Completely understand that. There is no shame in that. A tool is something to work with, not on! Or... To use a perhaps clumsy analogy: One needs to know a minimum of basics, but one does not need to be a mechanic, to drive a car!

Regarding using BBDTM to delete apps you don't want: It often doesn't seem to work, for that sort of thing. Someone may correct that impression but it has been my experience. For that, I recommend a more powerful piece of software called "BlackBerryHybrids Tool" that you can find by doing a Google search. It is available free for download in these forums. Another bit of free software that's handy to have is called "BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife."
    Again you can search for that. These have both been around awhile; tried & tested and true.

I do recommend that if you decide to do something such as remove Wikitude or that AT&T bloatware, you do as much reading as possible. Read & ask questions no matter how silly they seem. Slowly you will become more & more comfortable about such things. But of course you know this already.

Speaking of such things, here's the advice of my father: "It's good to learn from your mistakes. It's better to learn from someone else's."

Another good & well known aphorism to also consider: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    JBBB1 likes this.
    09-07-16 04:05 PM
    Thanks, Ursus!
    It's still working... :-)
    Wish I knew what the original problem was, but I've already downloaded BBSAK for next time, and will follow-up with "BlackBerryHybrids Tool" as well.
    Love your Dad's advice, and the aphorisms.
    I should probably buy another 9810 or two, while I still can, since even the Classic is just enough bigger not to be comfortable for me for one-handed use. Was all set to upgrade till I went to the store and held it. Not sure why everyone finds "bigger is better". I'd rather have smaller, as long as it's got the physical keyboard, slider, trackpad... an updated hammer is not necessarily a better hammer (feel free to quote that aphorism I think I just created). I'll be in touch for sure next time -- for empathy if nothing else (!). Thanks again.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-08-16 01:45 AM
    Whoa!!! Thank you guys 😄
    09-28-16 09:42 AM
    Whoa!!! Thank you guys 😄
    Guessing something here helped?

If so. Good.

09-28-16 12:17 PM