I've done research on both phones and I cant decide what would be best. I love the form factor of the classic but love the specs of the passport. Why couldn't they just beef up the classic! Anyway I currently have an Iphone 4s and was curious if the speed of the classic is about the same or better than the 4s? If so id probably just go with the classic. If its slower then my iphone 4s then id go with the passport. Just curious on your opinions?
    Tamashek likes this.
    04-30-15 08:42 AM
    I've done research on both phones and I cant decide what would be best. I love the form factor of the classic but love the specs of the passport. Why couldn't they just beef up the classic! Anyway I currently have an Iphone 4s and was curious if the speed of the classic is about the same or better than the 4s? If so id probably just go with the classic. If its slower then my iphone 4s then id go with the passport. Just curious on your opinions?
    Opinions are a dime a dozen. There will be pros and cons for both sides. Settle on your needs, and make your purchase on that basis.

Posted via CB10
    R1cowl and KMB842 like this.
    04-30-15 08:47 AM
    Thanks! My main concern was the speed of the classic. I just didn't know if was as fast as the iphone 4s or if its faster. This will be my first blackberry as ive only had android and iphones.
    04-30-15 08:56 AM
    I think the Passport will handle some Android apps better since it has more horsepower. But the form factor takes some getting used to. Classic is such a perfect size, and has those amazing button shortcuts that allow for faster operation and one handed use.
    KMB842 likes this.
    04-30-15 09:09 AM
    I think the Passport will handle some Android apps better since it has more horsepower. But the form factor takes some getting used to. Classic is such a perfect size, and has those amazing button shortcuts that allow for faster operation and one handed use.
    ok thanks! What phone are currently using? It boggles my mind why they put 3 year old hardware into the classic. I understand that's why they call it the classic but in this day and age, customers want they latest and greatest specs for their devices.
    04-30-15 09:23 AM
    Passport took me 5 minutes to get used to, and now all other devices feels like toys ... tiny small - like holding a premature infant - afraid of dropping them ...

:-)

but there's a devices out there for everyone - some like the daughter, some like the sister, some like the mother, some like all three ....
    KMB842 likes this.
    04-30-15 11:34 AM
    Advantages of the Classic: trackpad(arguable), form factor(arguable), price.

Advantages of the Passport: everything else

I wouldn't call the Classic "slow", but "future-proof" might not be suitable either. The Passport, however, will be going strong for years.

Posted via CB10
    KMB842 likes this.
    04-30-15 11:56 AM
    I work in the film biz, beating on my old Z10 kind of relentlessly. When I get in meetings with studio execs., agents and talent, a lot of them are still using legacy BBerry devices. So long as you're not trying to cure cancer or sort string theory... you'll be fine. If you're worried about "keeping up", you'll never win.
    KMB842 likes this.
    04-30-15 04:05 PM
    Go big, or go home!

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    KMB842 likes this.
    04-30-15 04:09 PM
    I think the classic is a awesome choice but then the passport it's just wide
    KMB842 likes this.
    04-30-15 05:25 PM
    If you want full screen and power take a look at the Z30...BlackBerry's best kept secret IMO!

Z30 STA100-5/10.3.1.2708 Bell YYZ
    Avenzuno and KMB842 like this.
    05-01-15 08:02 AM
    Go big, or go home!

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    Your right!!
    05-01-15 08:13 AM
    you should use Passport, I think it is great phone for you
    KMB842 likes this.
    05-01-15 08:46 AM
    ok thanks! What phone are currently using? It boggles my mind why they put 3 year old hardware into the classic. I understand that's why they call it the classic but in this day and age, customers want they latest and greatest specs for their devices.
    Actually it's 2 year old hardware, not 3. But the reason was most likely they still had a lot of it sitting around, and that since it was running the Q10 just fine the results would be basically the same on a Classic, which they are. I have a Classic, and also a Q10 and Z10. They all perform about the same, which is to say, adequately. I'm sure if I had a Passport I would notice faster loading, less hangs on Android apps, etc.

I think some customers just look at spec numbers, but the vast majority don't have any idea what the specs are in their phone, and want features and big screens, apps, etc. The phone performs how the phone performs. If the hardware is adequate for the user to enjoy it then that is what most people care about.
    KMB842 likes this.
    05-01-15 09:46 AM
    Advantages of the Classic: trackpad(arguable), form factor(arguable), price.

Advantages of the Passport: everything else

I wouldn't call the Classic "slow", but "future-proof" might not be suitable either. The Passport, however, will be going strong for years.

Posted via CB10
    Are you saying that the Classic will slow down? If you run the same apps a year from now, won't they run at the exact same speed they run now? I'm wondering what function that will be introduced in the next 2 years might be that is so demanding that a phone like the Classic won't be able to use it.
    KMB842 likes this.
    05-01-15 09:51 AM
    It depends on your usage as well, I ordered a Passport and it was really big! It would have been okay for when I was wearing a suit and it could go into my jacket pocket, but it looked ridiculous in my Jeans pocket. I found the Classic to be the better size for 'all-round' use - if you are using it for business only and have a personal phone the Passport could be for you, if the phone is for business and personal then the smaller size may be the best.
    KMB842 likes this.
    05-01-15 10:00 AM
    Are you saying that the Classic will slow down? If you run the same apps a year from now, won't they run at the exact same speed they run now? I'm wondering what function that will be introduced in the next 2 years might be that is so demanding that a phone like the Classic won't be able to use it.
    Not necessarily slow down..
    The software will get more resource-intense. Things like Advances Interactions and more complex Android runtime.
    Basically the same reasons you can't install Windows 10 on your old Windows 3.1 computer.

Posted via CB10
    KMB842 and nmduc073 like this.
    05-02-15 12:07 PM
    Not necessarily slow down..
    The software will get more resource-intense. Things like Advances Interactions and more complex Android runtime.
    Basically the same reasons you can't install Windows 10 on your old Windows 3.1 computer.

Posted via CB10
    Only if you upgrade the phone. Most BB phones only get about 1 or 2 upgrades pushed from carriers in a 2 year cycle at the most, and most upgrades so far haven't been that dramatic in terms of resource demands. You're Windows 10 on Windows 3.1 is an absurd example and nothing close to what happens to versions of BB over a couple years.
    KMB842 likes this.
    05-02-15 02:33 PM
    Only if you upgrade the phone. Most BB phones only get about 1 or 2 upgrades pushed from carriers in a 2 year cycle at the most, and most upgrades so far haven't been that dramatic in terms of resource demands. You're Windows 10 on Windows 3.1 is an absurd example and nothing close to what happens to versions of BB over a couple years.
    Have you played with a Q5 lately?
    Great phone, but definitely lacking in certain areas. Android apps being one of them. An app is no longer more efficient when it takes two minutes to load.
    USB-OTG is another, as is HDMI out/SlimPort.

The 3.1 to 10 example isn't that absurd, as the rate of advancement in technology is rapidly increasing.

What is absurd is saying BlackBerry gives 1 to 2 upgrades in two years. My Z10 has received 10.1 (two versions), 10.2(2 versions), 10.2.1, 10.3.1(two versions) since I owned it (two years). That's seven updates.

Posted via CB10
    KMB842 likes this.
    05-02-15 02:44 PM
    Have you played with a Q5 lately?
    Great phone, but definitely lacking in certain areas. Android apps being one of them. An app is no longer more efficient when it takes two minutes to load.
    What does that have to do with anything being discussed?

USB-OTG is another, as is HDMI out/SlimPort.
    What does that have to do with anything being discussed?

The 3.1 to 10 example isn't that absurd, as the rate of advancement in technology is rapidly increasing.
    Mmmm, no. 3.1 to 10 was nearly 25 years. You're talking about 2 years or so. Absurd.

What is absurd is saying BlackBerry gives 1 to 2 upgrades in two years. My Z10 has received 10.1 (two versions), 10.2(2 versions), 10.2.1, 10.3.1(two versions) since I owned it (two years). That's seven updates.

Posted via CB10
    So, in 2.5 years you've gone up 3 steps. The "versions" are just tweaks thus the nomenclature. Has the Z10 dramatically slowed to the point that a 1991 computer running windows 10 might?
    KMB842 likes this.
    05-02-15 04:29 PM