Hello!
    So just some back story / info about me before you answer: I am still in early High school and I am currently rocking a Classic alongside my iPhone XS (I would use my Classic as a main if my carrier let me and if I could unlock my classic) and I was hoping I could get one of the android blackberry phones because why not? I could try to use it as a main. I don't have a high budget, I make around $20CAD a week, give or take, and I am looking to get the phone before school starts (in September here in canada) and I currently have around 90$CAD maybe more. I am looking at options available 2nd hand (facebook marketplace, ebay, etc) since buying them first hand is out of my budget.

Since that is probably a lot more than you need to know and you probably don't care I will move on, I am looking for one that isn't too hard to use, I have never used android but I don't mind changing that, I have watched many videos on both but still can't decide, I like the slide out keyboard although I have used a 9810 and typing on it was a bit odd it still was manageable, I don't know if the experience is the same for the Priv, if it is top heavy or if it feels natural, and I do like the look of the Key2 and the fact that it does seem more simple to type on, but it does seem tall, although I have never seen one in person who am I to say?

I'm not looking for gaming on the phone, I never liked mobile games anyways, but the support for the operating system is my real hard point of deciding, although the priv is running Android 6 basically, is it that big of a difference to the Key2 (whatever it is running at this point)? The operating system does really depend for the phone usage and me never using android it does seem like the difference would be huge and probably make or break the decision.

Disregarding what I said before, I am more into the typing experience, of course that is every bb user ever, it's all in the keyboard, seeing what the difference looks like on both, it is hard to actually tell from a video so I want to know from one of you kind people how does [whatever phone you have or have used] feel like typing wise?

I probably have repeated myself here somewhere but basically, as a TLDR, what I am looking for is the phone that still feels nice to this day, doesn't break my wallet, and that is good for productivity, and not gaming wise or any of that

Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by EndoPlayz Wolf; 08-09-20 at 08:20 PM.
    08-09-20 08:08 PM
    The Priv has not received security updates in almost 3 years, and the KEY² has stopped getting patches as of this past May.

Be very careful with either. These are Android devices after all.

The 2015 Priv is hopelessly behind in hardware and software though, as it runs a 6 year old version of Android. The KEY² runs a 3 year old version.

Maybe you can find a used KEY² LE to play with.
    08-09-20 09:17 PM
    Not going to get a KEY2 for 90$CAD......

I'd stick with what you have for now.
    08-10-20 07:04 AM
    Not going to get a KEY2 for 90$CAD......

I'd stick with what you have for now.
    I wasn't thinking for $90CAD more like me saving up for at least something but the only ones I have been able to find were in like the $200CAD

Posted via CB10
    08-10-20 09:01 AM
    I wasn't thinking for $90CAD more like me saving up for at least something but the only ones I have been able to find were in like the $200CAD

Posted via CB10
    Used Key2 are like $500 CAD so I’d be suspicious of anything low priced
    08-10-20 09:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Very limited production on those.... they will be hard to find at your normal 75% off after two years on the market. Even a year from now I wouldn't expect to see one under $200CAD, unless there was something wrong with it. As someone else said the KEY2 LE is the cheaper option, but even it's going to be difficult to find that cheap. PRIV is a five year old phone.... but it was way overproduced and thus it's really cheap. When the KEY's are five years old... I'd expect used ones to still be $200CAD.
    08-10-20 09:20 AM
    Used Key2 are like $500 CAD so I’d be suspicious of anything low priced
    I am just now realizing that I am blind and I was looking at PRIV's and not key2's

Posted via CB10
    08-10-20 09:31 AM
    Very limited production on those.... they will be hard to find at your normal 75% off after two years on the market. Even a year from now I wouldn't expect to see one under $200CAD, unless there was something wrong with it. As someone else said the KEY2 LE is the cheaper option, but even it's going to be difficult to find that cheap. PRIV is a five year old phone.... but it was way overproduced and thus it's really cheap. When the KEY's are five years old... I'd expect used ones to still be $200CAD.
    Yea, seeing that I was looking at PRIV's instead of KEY2 I am now realizing how much they are, but what would I be losing with the KEY2 LE compared to the KEY2

Posted via CB10
    08-10-20 09:37 AM
    Yea, seeing that I was looking at PRIV's instead of KEY2 I am now realizing how much they are, but what would I be losing with the KEY2 LE compared to the KEY2

Posted via CB10
    The biggest functional difference is the lack of a capacitive keyboard.
    08-10-20 09:39 AM
    The biggest functional difference is the lack of a capacitive keyboard.
    That was what I was worrying about, but hey if it is a big price difference to the PRIV then I am up to it, then again if it isn't it is probably the better option either way, how old is it in terms of software?
    Also thanks so much for your help!

Posted via CB10
    08-10-20 10:13 AM
    That was what I was worrying about, but hey if it is a big price difference to the PRIV then I am up to it, then again if it isn't it is probably the better option either way, how old is it in terms of software?
    Also thanks so much for your help!

Posted via CB10
    Same as the KEY² - 3 year old software. Also, it just received its last security patch last month.
    08-10-20 10:16 AM
    Same as the KEY² - 3 year old software. Also, it just received its last security patch last month.
    Just looked them up on eBay and FB Market place and they seem way out of my budget as well but definitely on my wish list! Then again I am currently away from home and I am kinda limited on data usage so I am not totally sure, the ones I did see was about $400 to $600CAD

Posted via my dream Classic
    08-10-20 10:21 AM
    At this point, I would look at other keyboard options as you aren't going to get security updates. I hung on as long as I could on my Key2, but gave it up this month now that security patches are done with.

That budget, unfortunately, is very difficult to work with. I'd get a PRIV if that is all you have to spend. But if you can continue to save a bit, the fxtec pro1 is likely your best keyboard option right now.
    08-10-20 12:00 PM
    At this point, I would look at other keyboard options as you aren't going to get security updates. I hung on as long as I could on my Key2, but gave it up this month now that security patches are done with.

That budget, unfortunately, is very difficult to work with. I'd get a PRIV if that is all you have to spend. But if you can continue to save a bit, the fxtec pro1 is likely your best keyboard option right now.
    What is the committed patch policy on the Pro1 ?

Not to mention a 6" wide landscape keyboard is not a real pkb experience as most of us would recognise.
    08-10-20 12:32 PM
    What is the committed patch policy on the Pro1 ?
    No idea, but I guarantee it's better than any BlackBerry devices.
    08-10-20 12:33 PM

I'm not really looking at any other phones mainly because of the fact that I was hoping to get a BlackBerry for my "collection" (it isn't really a collection more of just I wanted to get a BlackBerry of every kind) and also looking at the one you mentioned, it isn't the type of vertical typing experience that I am looking for and also it seems quite odd to type on, thanks for the recommendation, though!

08-10-20 12:50 PM
    I'm not really looking at any other phones mainly because of the fact that I was hoping to get a BlackBerry for my "collection" (it isn't really a collection more of just I wanted to get a BlackBerry of every kind) and also looking at the one you mentioned, it isn't the type of vertical typing experience that I am looking for and also it seems quite odd to type on, thanks for the recommendation, though!

I get that. Just keep in mind you will likely be disappointed by any BlackBerry device at this point. It will be out of date regardless.
    08-10-20 01:14 PM
    I get that. Just keep in mind you will likely be disappointed by any BlackBerry device at this point. It will be out of date regardless.
    I am a bit confused as to how I will be disappointed? I'm a pretty beg blackberry fan and I have had blackberry in my life for as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to try android as well, so those two things together makes it perfect tbh, I don't see what there is to be disappointed about?

08-10-20 01:50 PM
    I am a bit confused as to how I will be disappointed? I'm a pretty beg blackberry fan and I have had blackberry in my life for as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to try android as well, so those two things together makes it perfect tbh, I don't see what there is to be disappointed about?

All BlackBerry devices, android or bb10, will never be updated again. So you are looking into buying an unsecured, dated device with no future. You will be stuck on android 8 forever on the key series and Android 6 on the PRIV. Some apps simply won't work and no updates will be there to fix that. That's what I mean.
    08-10-20 02:00 PM
    All BlackBerry devices, android or bb10, will never be updated again. So you are looking into buying an unsecured, dated device with no future. You will be stuck on android 8 forever on the key series and Android 6 on the PRIV. Some apps simply won't work and no updates will be there to fix that. That's what I mean.
    Seeing as currently I am using a classic (hence the signature) and BB10 emulates apps from 4.1(I'm pretty sure), I have been able to use this for quite a while, before I was using a leap and I still was working just fine, I am not about to download 50 apps just for entertainment, I'm not someone who plays games on their phone, I have an iPhone for calls and messages since my Classic is ATT locked and I'm fine with that, I was able to get the apps I need from apk's (discord) and the BB app world, and since BB10 is BB10 nobody really cares to hack into it since it might be out of date and since it is secure. and I have been quite productive! So seeing as the PRIV is on android 6 I will have a whole entire new package of apps! I am pretty fine with security since I am not about to download TikTok and other fishy apps.

Thanks for your concern about support and all that but as I mentioned in my original post, I'm not caring about support wise, security, and how modern it is, I just want to have a blackberry that runs android and has a keyboard.

My apologies if I got a bit heated there, I just don't feel like having you try to downtalk me and my choice of phone, I simply wanted to know what phone people recommend between the two, not some other phone but thanks for the recommendation.

PantherBlitz likes this.
    08-10-20 02:13 PM
    I mean, I want a BlackBerry android device that has a keyboard too, which is why I waited so long to move on. Not trying to talk down to you, just letting you know the reality of the situation. If you are perfectly okay with an out of date OS and on a limited budget, get the PRIV. You can find them on eBay used for under 80 bucks.
    08-10-20 02:24 PM
    Seeing as currently I am using a classic (hence the signature) and BB10 emulates apps from 4.1(I'm pretty sure), I have been able to use this for quite a while, before I was using a leap and I still was working just fine, I am not about to download 50 apps just for entertainment, I'm not someone who plays games on their phone, I have an iPhone for calls and messages since my Classic is ATT locked and I'm fine with that, I was able to get the apps I need from apk's (discord) and the BB app world, and since BB10 is BB10 nobody really cares to hack into it since it might be out of date and since it is secure. and I have been quite productive! So seeing as the PRIV is on android 6 I will have a whole entire new package of apps! I am pretty fine with security since I am not about to download TikTok and other fishy apps.

Thanks for your concern about support and all that but as I mentioned in my original post, I'm not caring about support wise, security, and how modern it is, I just want to have a blackberry that runs android and has a keyboard.

My apologies if I got a bit heated there, I just don't feel like having you try to downtalk me and my choice of phone, I simply wanted to know what phone people recommend between the two, not some other phone but thanks for the recommendation.

Just sitting is a coffee shop.... with your WiFi or Bluetooth on, is all it might take for you to be at risk. (not that anyone does that in the age of COVID anymore..... ).

Some of these Android vulnerabilities don't require the user to do anything.... BB10 was a different creature (tiny threat profile), you can't view using old outdated BB10 hardware the same as you would with today's much used Android.

If you live in Loompaland and don't do online banking or use your phone to pay bills or buy items... don't long into any sensitive accounts..... then it's probably not going to be an issue for you at all. Got more to worry about with the "hornswogglers and snozzwangers and those terrible wicked whangdoodles"

But if you have money in the bank and you interact with it via your smartphone.... We are just trying to point out that there will be risks to making that choice. As it does seem that BB10 has allowed some to fall out of step with how things work - kinda like a co-worker I have using a Windows XP powered PC in 2020. (sad thing is it has a Windows 7 sticker on it, he downgraded it)
    08-10-20 02:43 PM
    Just sitting is a coffee shop.... with your WiFi or Bluetooth on, is all it might take for you to be at risk. (not that anyone does that in the age of COVID anymore..... ).

Some of these Android vulnerabilities don't require the user to do anything.... BB10 was a different creature (tiny threat profile), you can't view using old outdated BB10 hardware the same as you would with today's much used Android.

If you live in Loompaland and don't do online banking or use your phone to pay bills or buy items... don't long into any sensitive accounts..... then it's probably not going to be an issue for you at all. Got more to worry about with the "hornswogglers and snozzwangers and those terrible wicked whangdoodles"

But if you have money in the bank and you interact with it via your smartphone.... We are just trying to point out that there will be risks to making that choice. As it does seem that BB10 has allowed some to fall out of step with how things work - kinda like a co-worker I have using a Windows XP powered PC in 2020. (sad thing is it has a Windows 7 sticker on it, he downgraded it)
    I'm not really going to be logging into any coffee shop WiFi or anything like that, hell I don't even log into my school's WiFi since, let's be real here, even though I am like a somewhat of an IT for my classes I still don't trust my school with ANYTHING, and I understand the threat level for not having security on the phone

I am not going to be really doing any "bill paying" seeing as I am still in early highschool and I still live with my parents (just to give you an example of how young I am)

I rarely interact with my bank on my phone seeing as I never use my money on things in school and I'm most like never going to, and the only "sensitive account" that I have is my school account, but I am begging for someone to hack it since I care VERY little about it, and the only sensitive info that will be on my phone is my phone number, but all phones are like that, and like I said before, I am not really looking for it to be used as my main phone, I want it more as a "nice to have" second phone for when I am going to be doing some INTENSE Typing, which in that case I am most likely going to have my laptop at school if they allow it

And of course I am going to have a VPN,I am never EVER giving my school any account/banking information of me, I never use my school accounts, I don't even log into the computers at school if I don't need to. He'll I set up my school auto reply basically telling them that I don't need or use that email and to email me at my spam email or my work email if it is that urgent

08-10-20 02:59 PM
    I'm not really going to be logging into any coffee shop WiFi or anything like that, hell I don't even log into my school's WiFi since, let's be real here, even though I am like a somewhat of an IT for my classes I still don't trust my school with ANYTHING, and I understand the threat level for not having security on the phone

I am not going to be really doing any "bill paying" seeing as I am still in early highschool and I still live with my parents (just to give you an example of how young I am)

I rarely interact with my bank on my phone seeing as I never use my money on things in school and I'm most like never going to, and the only "sensitive account" that I have is my school account, but I am begging for someone to hack it since I care VERY little about it, and the only sensitive info that will be on my phone is my phone number, but all phones are like that, and like I said before, I am not really looking for it to be used as my main phone, I want it more as a "nice to have" second phone for when I am going to be doing some INTENSE Typing, which in that case I am most likely going to have my laptop at school if they allow it

And of course I am going to have a VPN,I am never EVER giving my school any account/banking information of me, I never use my school accounts, I don't even log into the computers at school if I don't need to. He'll I set up my school auto reply basically telling them that I don't need or use that email and to email me at my spam email or my work email if it is that urgent

Exactly... enjoy that awesome keyboard experience that only a BlackBerry device can offer...My PRIV and just recently purchased KEY2 128gb Dual SIM...I'm relaxed and pleased typing away!
    08-10-20 05:57 PM
    Get a PRIV or KEYone.
    Rico4you likes this.
    08-10-20 06:37 PM
27 12