Hello! My name is Edwin and im 17 years old. I am thinking of getting A new phone and I'd like A new experience. Therefore I have looked at the Blackberry Passport and it looks like A lovely phone that i'd like. I use my phone mainly for surfing, mailing, and messenging, and I am not too bothered about the overall app shortage. However.. I do use messenging apps like Facebook messenger and whatsapp from time to time and with the news that they wont be available on the bb10 for too long, I am very worried and torn regarding my decision. Is it safe to buy an Blackberry at this time of 2016? Even though the company is in some sort of decline. (For bb10 at least)
    Can I still use the passport and be happy u think? I kinda dont want an android (specially one with touchwiz) and I also think IPhones are getting Boring. What are your thoughts regarding whether the passport Would suffice for my personal needs, and does sideloading the apps work successfully or is it all laggy.

Thanks in advance
    Ed
    04-03-16 02:39 PM
    Get it. Whatsapp still work and will still so, albeit sans customer support beyond 2016. Facebook, you could still use the web shortcut and it'll work just fine, with notifications from email. You can even still install android Facebook messenger apk version 25 and it'll work perfectly, complete with hub notifications. The rests, are used for work--hub, docstogo, even BBM comes with free great enhancements these days, such as message retract, edit, etc.

Oh, and do NOT install Skype, ya. It'll kill the battery and buggy as hell. Use BBM video chat if available, or even facebook messenger video chat option (I think).
    04-03-16 03:45 PM
    I would say if you get a good deal on a passport, get it and enjoy it. There will be support for a while yet and now that Facebook backed off and are now going to support OS10, you should be OK for a while. Good luck with your decision.
    04-03-16 04:12 PM
    Get an iPhone.
    04-03-16 07:34 PM
    If you are planning for something long term, forget BlackBerry. John Chen messed up the future of BlackBerry. Get something that you won't have to worry in term of long term!

Posted via CB30
    04-03-16 09:01 PM
    If you're planning long-term, BlackBerry 10 is definitely not the way to go. I hate to say it but the BlackBerry 10 platform is declining faster and faster.

WhatsApo will lose support in a matter of around less than a year, and Facebook is no longer a native app, and instead uses the browser version. Messaging via Facebook will be done either using a third-party app, or through the browser which is a little inconvenient.

I love BlackBerry 10, but I hate to say it's not the best way to go during these times.
    04-04-16 12:30 AM
    I would say if you get a good deal on a passport, get it and enjoy it. There will be support for a while yet and now that Facebook backed off and are now going to support OS10, you should be OK for a while. Good luck with your decision.
    Facebook reverted their decision?? Where did you hear/read that?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 02:46 AM
    Get an iPhone.
    Don't. Apple is no longer the shop it used to be. Steve Jobs must have had a powerful grip. Which the current pilots of Apple now seem to be losing. Their app store -- once considered rock solid -- is riddled with malware. The recent "Error 53" debacle caught them lying through their teeth to their customers (look it up).

Also (see link) when Apple was informed that researchers at Indiana University had found a massive security flaw in their system...
    "The researchers said they informed Apple about the vulnerability in October but were asked to hold off on making the information public for six months. However, according to their study, the problems still persist." So... for six months Apple knew their customers were at risk and literally covered it up.

It's bad enough they've had these issues, but to lie to maintain their image of security perfection is going too far. IMHO, they really do, suck.

Hundreds of apps infected by fake Xcode tools, Apple removing known malicious software from App Store | 9to5Mac
    Forbes Welcome
    Apple: New App Vulnerability Revealed in iOS and OSX
    04-04-16 10:02 AM
    I'm in the same boat. I don't want to give up on bb10 but BlackBerry is giving up on bb10. My Q10 is starting to act funny and the next bb10 updated may never come. I may get a Priv despite how much I hate Android but need a physical keyboard since that's the last option.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 11:12 AM
    Blackberry era's over.try something else

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 11:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    https://thewhistler.ng/story/faceboo...-html-bb10-app

I wouldn't say they "reverted the decision"... just that they didn't totally leave BlackBerry user out in the cold.

OP.... If the money mean very little to you, and you change phones very often... go ahead. Other wise invest in a platform with a future.
    04-04-16 11:34 AM
    https://thewhistler.ng/story/faceboo...-html-bb10-app

I wouldn't say they "reverted the decision"... just that they didn't totally leave BlackBerry user out in the cold.

OP.... If the money mean very little to you, and you change phones very often... go ahead. Other wise invest in a platform with a future.
    Thank you for clarifying, they basically are not supporting bb10, we just have a browser shortcut, thats it...

When someone asks a question like the op asks we should all just be honest and explain to him that while this is the best portable os and the passport is a great phone the truth is the whole platform is going down.

Be honest and dont try and get people onto a sinking ship is all im saying

Posted via CB10
    JamBueree likes this.
    04-04-16 01:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    I read it on one of the tech sites, I think it may have been engadget.
    04-04-16 02:17 PM
    When someone asks a question like the op asks we should all just be honest and explain to him that while this is the best portable os and the passport is a great phone the truth is the whole platform is going down.

Be honest and dont try and get people onto a sinking ship is all im saying

Posted via CB10
    Agreed 100%. As much as I loved the BlackBerry 10 OS and how much potential I see it in, there's no denying that it's not going anywhere. Maybe it's even moving backwards. It reached its peak on 10.2.1 but now, it's just going down.
    04-04-16 09:49 PM
    I read it on one of the tech sites, I think it may have been engadget.
    Yeah but it's not bringing the native app back.
    They just agreed that the browser usage in BlackBerry 10 will still be long alive.
    04-04-16 09:49 PM