Because I'm tired of how distracted I am by my so-called "smartphone," and I don't want a "dumb phone," I going to experiment with a "competent phone" for a while: as a former eight-year BlackBerry user (last used BBOS 6 in 2011), I just bought a "new" BlackBerry Classic from eBay, and I'm going to use it as my daily driver for the next four months to see whether I can actually be more productive without my iPhone. Then, in January, I'm going to film a video about whether it's possible to use a BlackBerry Classic as a main phone in 2020. (I'm on AT&T in the United States, by the way.)

While 80% of my usage is memo pad, sms, and phone calls, I'm looking for solutions to cover the other 20%. I know it's NOT going to be seamless, and I'll likely be frustrated at times, but that discomfort is what makes this experiment fun.

A few questions:

1. Contacts. What's the best way to transfer the contacts from my iPhone to the BlackBerry Classic?

2. Spotify. Can I get Spotify on BB10? If not, what are my music options?

3. Podcasts. Recommended podcast apps? (Hopefully Spotify will cover this.)

4. Maps. Best GPS app for BB10?

5. Uber. Best way to get an Uber with a BlackBerry Classic?

6. Yelp. Does Yelp exist for BB10?

7. Email. If I decide to do Gmail on my phone, which I may not, is there anything I need to consider?

8. Misc. What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks for your help.
    09-02-19 04:15 PM
    Good luck and I hope it was the AT&T branded Classic for maximum coverage. BTW, setup username and we can have a better two communication with you in the forums as your questions are goin to lead to more questions than answers with BB10 officially winding down to EOL status at 2019 end.
    09-02-19 06:20 PM
    Contacts - sync with the cloud
    uber only works in the web browser i think
    gmail shouldnt be a huge email problem
    yelp and spotify would probably have to be android apps if they work
    09-02-19 06:25 PM
    Congrats on your Classic, which is the perfect not smart but not too dumb phone available!
    09-02-19 06:43 PM
    Podcasts - bPod (in BlackBerry World)
    Maps - native BlackBerry maps app still works fine
    Yelp - Search for Yelp (in BlackBerry World), else the website

Posted via CB10
    09-03-19 09:33 AM
    Gmail works well too. Would recommend you add your contacts to Gmail so they'll be sync'd along with your email account to your Classic. Something changed server side recently so there's a new manual step to get contacts over; well documented on the forums.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    09-03-19 09:38 AM
    Yelp - Search for Yelp
    Search for Yelp (BBW) no longer works. Link on desktop to the Yelp website is the only method left AFAIK.
    mh1983 likes this.
    09-03-19 11:07 AM
    Search for Yelp (BBW) no longer works. Link on desktop to the Yelp website is the only method left AFAIK.
    Ah, nuts, another one bites the dust! Thanks for letting us know. Then yes, agree w/ the suggestion that the OP add a homescreen shortcut to the Yalp site.
    09-03-19 02:12 PM