Since these are among the top complaints of BlackBerry 10's operating system (each app maker dropping support for BB10 , would banning these app several years ago, have changed the attractiveness of BB10 to some extent and BBM had this ocurred in say 2013?
    Just wondering (aside from the possible vpn workarounds)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/tdsb-app-b...150648431.html
    05-10-17 11:27 PM
    No. They were 3 out of 100s of missing apps.
    05-10-17 11:29 PM
    this wouldnt matter one bit. They still have access via the cell provider and bb10 would be locked out completely still and still failed just as it did.
    05-10-17 11:33 PM
    Well I'm not saying it would have completely turned bb10 around, but it might have had a beneficial side effect. From firsthand feedback from teenagers, this was their biggest beef with bb10, the other apps weren't nearly as important to them.
    05-10-17 11:35 PM
    Since these are among the top complaints of BlackBerry 10's operating system (each app maker dropping support for BB10 , would banning these app several years ago, have changed the attractiveness of BB10 to some extent and BBM had this ocurred in say 2013?
    Just wondering.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/tdsb-app-b...150648431.html
    Important to note: the schools only blocked these apps from being accessed over the school networks. Apps not banned in general, students can still use the apps over their own data plan.

This, as the article notes, has already been done by other schools across Canada, and as an elected School Committee member in the United States I can tell you the same is true of many schools across our country.

So no, this occurring in 2013 would have made zero difference in today's state of BB10. In fact, in 2013 some of these sites/apps were already restricted from use back in 2013.

Posted with my  Classic
    05-10-17 11:35 PM
    Most of the kids in High School rely on Wifi and not data, at least the last time I checked, though a certain number would use data. That's why the board's wifi was being clogged up with traffic.
    05-10-17 11:37 PM
    Most of the kids in High School rely on Wifi and not data, at least the last time I checked, though a certain number would use data. That's why the board's wifi was being clogged up with traffic.
    They use WiFi when available, as a battery and data saver, just as adults. Parents don't buy kids phones that only work with WiFi lol.

It wasn't the boards WiFi being used, it was the schools. The board sets policies for the schools.

Posted with my  Classic
    05-10-17 11:40 PM
    There are plenty of "what if's" when it comes to what could have saved BB10, but this is not one of them.

I agree, it sucks we are where we are now. But I am looking forward to getting my hands on the KEYone and fully embracing the next generation of BlackBerry.

Posted with my  Classic
    05-10-17 11:42 PM
    They use WiFi when available, as a battery and data saver, just as adults. Parents don't buy kids phones that only work with WiFi lol.

It wasn't the boards WiFi being used, it was the schools. The board sets policies for the schools.

Posted with my  Classic
    Actually many parents buy voice and/or text only (or very limited data) plans, knowing the wifi is available in schools and home (a good 80-90% of where kids are most of the time), not all of course. Revised: Though a good number use family plans...i guess it depends if their family is larger than two kids and two adults and other factors.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 05-10-17 at 11:56 PM.
    05-10-17 11:45 PM
    They are doing this because their network was slowing down and traffic from these apps was taking up to 20% of the bandwidth. The kids still want to use these apps outside of school property so BB10 is just as irrelevant an option for them as it always was.
    05-10-17 11:45 PM
    Actually many parents buy voice and/or text only (or very limited data) plans, knowing the wifi is available in schools and home (a good 80-90% of where kids are most of the time), not all of course.
    Maybe in Canada? That is not true in the United States. But still, you say yourself 80-90% of the times kids are home...so they could use the cited apps banned in the schools....80-90% of the time

Posted with my  Classic
    05-10-17 11:57 PM
    Maybe in Canada? That is not true in the United States. But still, you say yourself 80-90% of the times kids are home...so they could use the cited apps banned in the schools....80-90% of the time

Posted with my  Classic
    Clarification: Either (at school or home) 80-90% (School is about 50% on weekdays of course with after school activity variabilities). But true, there is unrestricted access at home. Not sure where kids use these apps most, maybe its at home, but a high portion is driven by what peers use at school as well.
    I kind of laugh that these apps are given the cold shoulder, the way bb10 was of course for whatever reasons. Though I should be fair to the (igram inst10 options).
    05-11-17 12:04 AM
    Of course distractiveness from the school curiccula is but one factor for the ban. They can be addictive to some extent...a constant circle of goofy teenagers chatting.
    05-11-17 12:10 AM
    05-11-17 12:10 AM
    app would just build a notification to switch to cellular data once it realized it was blocked in Wifi. Battery makers would be happy, extra packs.
    05-11-17 12:22 AM