With 10.3.1 we now have nice new reply and reply all buttons at the bottom of the screen. For some reason BlackBerry has decided to make the bigger blue button reply all, instead of just reply.

I don't know about anyone else but I use the reply way more than I use reply all. I personally I'd prefer that the reply be the bigger and more obvious of the two.

Is there any way in the settings to change that?

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    05-02-15 12:37 PM
    I think no..

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 02:03 PM
    It's standard protocol in most business situations (or any for that matter) to reply to all in the thread of an email, so making that the default option isn't that off base. Of course if you want to exclude someone from your response you can do that, but most likely later on they will see that you did.

If you were the only one that was sent the email, reply all will be the same as reply.
    05-02-15 02:41 PM
    It's standard protocol in most business situations (or any for that matter) to reply to all in the thread of an email, so making that the default option isn't that off base. Of course if you want to exclude someone from your response you can do that, but most likely later on they will see that you did.

If you were the only one that was sent the email, reply all will be the same as reply.
    Thanks for defending BlackBerry on what has become the standard stock response for any complaint about something BlackBerry is doing: "This is for business users and you're a consumer..."

Actually, I don't think it is all that standard in either business or personal.

I frequently receive emails from people with photos from trips or family updates. I want to reply to the sender to let them know that I've received it and comment etc, but not everyone who want sent the email needs or wants to get my reply, since it has nothing to do with them.

One personal example is my brother who sends out pictures of his son (my nephew) several times a week. Aside from the fact that I personally find that to be a little too frequent, I'm very annoyed that I have to then have my inbox clogged up with replies from his wife's family who insist on hitting reply all. Why on earth would everyone who was sent the pictures want to know how cute her family found them? The only people that need to read that is my brother and his wife!

Same thing goes for business. I frequently get emails sent out organization wide. Invites to a conference, news about a colleague having a baby, new protocols, etc. Why would everyone in the organization want to know if I'm going to that conference or not? Why would every want to read my congratulations to the brimming new dad? How about my acknowledgement that I've read and understood the new protocol?

The only time that a reply all would be used is in a group conversation and that likely wouldn't be done over email anyway. Or at least more rarely.

05-02-15 05:13 PM
    Thanks for defending BlackBerry on what has become the standard stock response for any complaint about something BlackBerry is doing: "This is for business users and you're a consumer..."
    I never said any of those things. I said it makes sense because that's typically how people talk to each other unless someone has something to hide or the original sender doesn't know basic protocols.

Actually, I don't think it is all that standard in either business or personal.

I frequently receive emails from people with photos from trips or family updates. I want to reply to the sender to let them know that I've received it and comment etc, but not everyone who want sent the email needs or wants to get my reply, since it has nothing to do with them.
    Soooo.....in that particular case....in which your comments don't pertain to the group..and you don't want others to see your response.....just reply and don't reply all. However since the email was sent to everyone at the same time, the implication is that anyone commenting is doing it as part of a group.

One personal example is my brother who sends out pictures of his son (my nephew) several times a week. Aside from the fact that I personally find that to be a little too frequent, I'm very annoyed that I have to then have my inbox clogged up with replies from his wife's family who insist on hitting reply all. Why on earth would everyone who was sent the pictures want to know how cute her family found them? The only people that need to read that is my brother and his wife!
    Then your problem is with the original sender who opened a thread with multiple people and with the people who chose to include you in their response.

Same thing goes for business. I frequently get emails sent out organization wide. Invites to a conference, news about a colleague having a baby, new protocols, etc. Why would everyone in the organization want to know if I'm going to that conference or not? Why would every want to read my congratulations to the brimming new dad? How about my acknowledgement that I've read and understood the new protocol?
    Clearly some people don't understand how to use email. If they are doing a mass send like that they should have sent to a list and not included every single address in the "To:" field....especially if the email required individual confirmations.

The only time that a reply all would be used is in a group conversation and that likely wouldn't be done over email anyway.
    Why wouldn't it be done over email? That's the standard electronic communications method for business. I get messages all the time that include others....for good reason. Those people were included so they could be in the loop and see the progress of the situation.
    05-02-15 06:09 PM
    I'm glad you raised this - I agree. I have never seen any email software prioritize reply-all.

Please Blackberry, switch it to default to Reply only, or give us an option to choose.

a. I'd rather make the mistake of forgetting to include someone than the embarrassment of not realising someone I didn't intend hears my thoughts (yes it's already happened thanks to Blackberry's new big RA button)
    b. Encouraging email spam is not business friendly. I.e. the time wasted when 20 emails pour in as people copied needlessly voice their superfluous opinions to Reply-all, and then to each other. In no time, 40 people have wasted an hour reading emails that shouldn't have ever been sent.
    c. The chances of someone reading your email vary inversely to the number of people copied on the mail. Proven fact.

My own experience is 90% of the time I reply to the sender only, and constantly have to be on guard. I don't like this default button being reply-all. Not least is you have to scroll up to check who you're sending to all the time as you can't see from the bottom of the email when about to press send.
    crazigee likes this.
    05-05-15 07:47 AM
    I'm glad you raised this - I agree. I have never seen any email software prioritize reply-all.

Please Blackberry, switch it to default to Reply only, or give us an option to choose.

a. I'd rather make the mistake of forgetting to include someone than the embarrassment of not realising someone I didn't intend hears my thoughts (yes it's already happened thanks to Blackberry's new big RA button)
    b. Encouraging email spam is not business friendly. I.e. the time wasted when 20 emails pour in as people copied needlessly voice their superfluous opinions to Reply-all, and then to each other. In no time, 40 people have wasted an hour reading emails that shouldn't have ever been sent.
    c. The chances of someone reading your email vary inversely to the number of people copied on the mail. Proven fact.

My own experience is 90% of the time I reply to the sender only, and constantly have to be on guard. I don't like this default button being reply-all. Not least is you have to scroll up to check who you're sending to all the time as you can't see from the bottom of the email when about to press send.
    Totally agree with you. Reply is pretty much always the more used button compared to Reply All.

You also make a very good point with the perils of accidentally hitting the Reply All in a group setting. It's much easier to resend the email to someone who missed your response than to try to recall your message that was sent to everyone by mistake.

05-06-15 02:11 PM