I had finally gotten most of the unique names and non-standard words saved well enough that most of the time the text predictions would save me time and effort in texts and notes on my Q10. Then I made the mistake of deleting some files that one of my utility apps said might fix some bugs that were tormenting me. Ever since then the predictive text rarely suggests any of the things that I add to the dictionary. Several names that used to always work actually force me to enter all the letters of the name without giving me shortcut but AFTER I enter the last character it then shows up in green on the screen. It makes no difference whether I type it out and then hit the green word or just go ahead with my text, even later in the same text it still refuses to suggest it.
    Is there a way to fix this? If so, is there a specific file I could save on external media as a way to save this from continuing to be a problem? I want to do a factory reset to try to resolve other issues, since I was given this advice in several threads started when different types of problems keep happening.

When I 1st got my BlackBerry it didn't take very long for the dictionary to populate but ever since I cleared cache it won't learn things hardly at all...
    Thanks in advance!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    02-05-16 07:43 AM
    Hook up to BlackBerry Link and reload OS.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 09:30 AM
    I appreciate your suggestion about using link. Others in a different thread who told me that the only likely cure for issues my Q10 has would be to NOT do that since whatever corrupted files I might have will just be saved in the backup so I was advised to not use the saved backups I have. I can restore my contacts & calendar from the stand alone version of Outlook I have. I just was hoping some of the general users knew of a way to save the dictionary WITHOUT restoring from a saved backup via BlackBerry link since every time I tried to do that after a factory reset the same problems persist.

02-08-16 06:54 AM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry did not make APIs available for third party access to saved words. There is no resolution to your problem.

Either restore settings (along with other potential bugs), or start fresh.
    02-08-16 10:32 PM
    I was afraid that would be the case... of course I still have the other issue regarding the dictionary. Why on earth doesn't it offer ANY of the words I added to the dictionary in the predictions? Even when I've used a word or a name multiple times in a single text it still persists in giving me every incorrect option even when the words it offers me not only are wrong, but also are complete non-sequitures! They make no sense either in context or alone. When my Q10 was new it started learning within the first few weeks. I deleted the cache more than two months ago yet it never suggests a word that I added to the dictionary. You sound knowledgeable, do you have any idea on how to remedy this?

02-09-16 05:30 AM
    do you have any idea on how to remedy this?

I've been using either the vkb or capacitive pkb for ages, so it just works for me by swiping up on words I want - so it remembers and learns very well. I can't help you with the Q10 pkb, sorry.
    02-09-16 07:32 AM
    The pkb USED to work in the same way. After the 1st or 2nd letter it would start giving you 3 options it "thought" you wanted. It still does, in fact I'm using the feature to do most of my writing for this post! ;-) the problem is that it never suggests any of the words that I put IN the dictionary. I know that the BlackBerry 10 OS works the same way since my wife has a Z10 & son uses a Z30. Both of theirs do just fine, as mine used to do. So it's not a function of pkb vs vkb, but a software error in my specific Q10. Just now, I had to enter both the Q and the 1 before it offered any suggestions which of course by then didn't matter anymore. True, it did react after 2nd digit, but just now it waited until the O in anymore before making any valid choice and until the 2nd i in digital.

When it was working properly just 4-5 weeks ago every time I entered a Q it immediately suggested the Q10 as one of the three options. Same went for other words. What's most frustrating is that it NEVER offers any correct options when I type the names of several family members who have long names that look nothing like any of the suggestions all the way up to the last letter. As one name is 9 letters the predictive text saved me lots of time. In fact, while it offers my kid's 6 letter in green AFTER I finish typing it, even though I try to hit it every time in hopes of making it understand that it IS the correct word, on the 9 letter name it doesn't even do that! Prior to the deletion my Q10 knew both names plus many other terms that it no longer does. That's what I'm trying to fix! I thought the whole point of the OS asking if I want to add to the dictionary. The only thing it does now is that it won't put the red line under the words I added to the dictionary instead of helping me write them. Sigh...

02-09-16 12:21 PM