Hi,

Im a first time blackberry user. Im currently using an iphone 5s and was thinking of getting a Q5. I dont really play games as I use my phone for reading, music and youtube. Im switching due to the fact that I would like a keyboard on my phone.

I did a search on the blackberry store and looks like I will be covered for messaging. I use whats app and LINE. How is facebook messenger on BB10 ???

I also use google music, maps and gmail (inbox) quite a lot. Ive have read on this site that they may not work on BB10. Can anybody suggest how to access them on BB10 or alternative apps ??

Any other suggestions are welcome
    06-07-15 10:38 PM
    Im a first time blackberry user. Im currently using an iphone 5s and was thinking of getting a Q5. I dont really play games as I use my phone for reading, music and youtube. Im switching due to the fact that I would like a keyboard on my phone.
    You'll be missing out on a HUGE app selection from iTunes. That's about it thought.

I did a search on the blackberry store and looks like I will be covered for messaging. I use whats app and LINE. How is facebook messenger on BB10 ???
    Dunno about line. Whatsapp is native and gets updated far too often. Facebook is still one app (not Facebook and Messenger). It works fine ???

I also use google music, maps and gmail (inbox) quite a lot. Ive have read on this site that they may not work on BB10. Can anybody suggest how to access them on BB10 or alternative apps ??
    Don't expect apps from Google to be available (or even to work at all). Google Maps works (android), your Google Music library can be accessed via browser. You don't need Inbox, you'll have the HUB.

The Q5 is a good enough device, but you can get better bang for your buck right now. A Q10 isn't really that expensive these days. And if you really hunt, you can get a Z30 fairly cheap.
    06-07-15 10:48 PM
    Q10 will be a much better choice! Quality wise it feels well built, better specs and can probably get a great price now compared to when they first came out

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    06-07-15 11:06 PM
    I was thinking about a Q10 but Im in Japan and since this will be my main phone. Im a bit worried about the keyboard (Ive read here that people have been having problems with double letters). If I end up having this problem, here in Japan, theres nowhere to get it fixed.

What are maps on BB like by the way ???

on Amazon Japan and expansys, I can get a Q10 for around $220 US. Is that a good price ?
    Last edited by aussieinjapan; 06-07-15 at 11:48 PM. Reason: extra questons
    Oshasat likes this.
    06-07-15 11:47 PM
    Q10 will be a much better choice! Quality wise it feels well built, better specs and can probably get a great price now compared to when they first came out Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    For most people the Q5 will perform just a well as the Q10. It is newer, has a better keyboard with no double typing issues, and feels and looks good once you put it in a case. And it is excellent value, recently selling for only $99.
    06-08-15 12:38 AM
    Have you thought about the Z30? if your coming from iPhone. You are good with virtual keyboard and will appreciate the screen real estate

Posted using the outstanding BlackBerry Z30
    06-08-15 12:41 AM
    George ! recently, Ive been frustrated with the iphones keyboard. I make a lot of mistakes and my fingers are dry so im having trouble using the touch button.

BB-jam, $99 ??? where ? (edit: I just checked, they dont ship here)
    Last edited by aussieinjapan; 06-08-15 at 02:45 AM.
    06-08-15 12:56 AM
    You obviously don't know the power of the dark side! Ack, I mean... of the BlackBerry 10 Virtual Keyboard!

Mas is good enough for "get me there from here". If you need more, get Google Maps.

As for the "best Keyboard". Some prefer the Bold (Q10) while others prefer the Curve (Q5) styles. Both are solid performers and NOT all units have issues.

This message brought to you by a Z30.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 08:46 AM
    The $99 seems to be an in Canada price, however I see Q5s on Amazon selling for $149US. As you probably know, some of the mobile frequency bands used in Japan are different than those used in both North America and Australia/Europe.
    06-08-15 09:03 AM
    Yes, I do - I can get by with band 3 (1800) here in Japan.
    But of course a classic looks better due to (expansys website) having more supported bands but at a price that is too expensive for me.
    06-08-15 11:13 AM
    Yes, I do - I can get by with band 3 (1800) here in Japan.
    But of course a classic looks better due to (expansys website) having more supported bands but at a price that is too expensive for me.
    I like the size of the Q5 and Q10. They are not long slabs like most other phones and they fit easily in a shirt pocket. The Classic is larger though.
    06-08-15 02:19 PM
    Shop BlackBerry is still at 299 for Q5. If it were 99 or even 149. I would grab one to have in my arsenal

Posted using the outstanding BlackBerry Z30
    06-09-15 04:28 PM
    Except for the 8GB internal memory, you cannot go wrong with the Q5 (specially at the current price)!

Maps and Inbox work flawlessly - you may find using it on a Q5, a bit odd due to the screen size. However, eventually...

There is a very elaborate (now sticky) thread on Cobalt's Playstore in the Android apps selection. Pretty straight forward, you will just have to install several .apks to get the ball rolling.
    06-10-15 01:05 AM
    Thanks a lot !! ummmm, Im looking around amazon.co.jp now
    06-10-15 08:23 AM
    I just installed Line on my Passport and it works GREAT! It's also possible to get Google Maps and Google Music to work with a little hackery....

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...g-page-965257/
    06-10-15 08:40 AM
    Music gets the thumbs up from me on headphones with the Q5 and I'm picky on that. Reading is great and the 10.3 os gets more stuff on screen with icons and the right size menu bars and such imho.

I think if you can get one, It's worth a try and the one good thing as a first look into it, is it's not a watered down BB10 experience. Other than the smaller on device storage space, and lesser mp camera, the updates have increased the speed of mine. I don't skip a beat using the Q5 against other BB10 devices I own.
    06-10-15 08:55 AM
    Thanks ! here in Japan - I need LINE ! amd having google maps plus music would make it easier on me as they are pretty much (apart from flipboard) all the apps I use
    06-10-15 09:03 AM
    I would say get a classic trust me way better. And the long run will pay off a lot more for you.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    06-12-15 05:46 PM
    Or the z30 is really cheap now would be a huge upgrade the battery alone is worth it.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    diegonei likes this.
    06-12-15 05:47 PM
    I would say get a classic trust me way better. And the long run will pay off a lot more for you.
    That's debatable. The Classic isn't that much better than a Q10, it's almost the very same hardware. The one good thing is the battery.

If the OP needs a cheap qwerty BB10, and doesn't want to deal with hardware limitations, I'd actually go for a Q10.
    06-13-15 11:53 AM
    Thanks for everybodies advice !

Since its my first Blackberry device and Im on a budget, I will be getting the q5.
    The other options are very nice but living here in Japan makes it very hard to get a good price for them.
    The Q5 is only about $200 US while the q10 is $280 and the classic is around $500 (and sadly out of my price range). I looked for a Z30 on amazon japan and rakuten shopping but they are just as expensive as the Q10.

I will try out the Q5 and probably upgrade it to a classic down the line.

Thanks for everyones advice
    06-14-15 02:23 AM
    If you're wanting a pkb I don't see anything wrong with the Q5. Think it's a good choice. I have one that I used for 5 minutes before going back to the Z30. But thats because I value the screen size over the keyboard. That's why I loved my old 9810 so much. Got a decent sized screen with a keyboard.

I wish the Z30 was in your price range, but I do understand how overpriced BlackBerry is compared to other companies. That's really too bad. The Q5 should be priced at 99 dollars max by this point. The Z30 should be 199 and that's even pushing it.

Out of the small square screened phones though I think the Q5 looks the coolest. And the keyboard works great. I think you're making the best choice you can in your situation. Hope you enjoy the Q5.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.680 / T-Mobile USA
    diegonei and aussieinjapan like this.
    06-14-15 03:07 AM
    The Z30 should be 199 and that's even pushing it.
    Actually, now that the Leap is out, it would make sense for the Z30 to be just a tad more expensive than the newer device, considering the hardware is better and the software is the same.
    06-15-15 08:25 PM
    I ended up going for the Q10 after going to akihabara and finding a nice white Q5 for 22,800 yen used....too expensive considering I bought my Q10 new from expansys for total of 24,223 yen. I also saw a used (B ranking) black one for same price my new one.
    07-01-15 08:24 AM
    Yeah it's amazing how expensive the Q5 was released at and never really lowered like the Z10 and Q10 and even the Z30.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.680 / T-Mobile USA
    07-01-15 04:44 PM
28 12