Hey guys,
    Is the KEYone's keyboard any different than that of the Q10 in terms of size and feel? It looks a lot more slippery with that glossiness to it but it also looks like the keys are smaller....

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 01:26 PM
    The KEYone is a bit wider than the Q10 but the keyboard is not as high, about the same size as the PRIV keyboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Q10 vs KEYone keyboard-keyone-bb-q10-size-comp.jpg  
    05-07-17 06:27 PM
    I tried KeyOne just a hour ago in local store. I have been using Q10 for a longer time, and Priv as well in the last two weeks.

The shape of the keys has changed a bit. To me shape of keys feel just like if you turned your Q10 upside down and put your fingers on the keyboard: the shape is just reversed (higher on the upper side than on the bottom). That's more or less the same design as Priv, K1's keys are much higher, though. They are clicky as well, so no worries regarding this thing.

I really didn't like the surface of the keys itself. I type the way that I simply "drive" my thumbs through the keyboard and press the keys when I slide to them. This is much harder on the K1, because the keys are glossy, they feel like they were "greasy". This makes "driving the thumb" on the keyboard really incomfortable. Maybe it gets OK later (Priv's keys get clickier after some time as well, despite being strange in the beginning).

God knows. Maybe it just needs some time to get used to it...

It's funny. I never get why companies keep changing things, which had been already brushed to the state of excellency. We had many great keyboards in the legacy age, okay, they wanted to set the keys to grid without curves. We've had Classic and Passport, both setting new standards. And now, things got changed again: mechanism, surface, it all is different. Why?

But generally it's ok, I think. You'll get used to it, there are plenty of perfectly happy users, which is the best provement. Maybe, I am just too critical. However, it doesn't beat the Classics's, nor Passport's keyboard.

EDIT: maybe the keyboard was just greasy from hands of someone, who held the phone before I did. That would "resolve" the issue at all, because aside the finger "friction" on the keyboard, overall typing was just fine!

Posted via CB10 using my  Q10!
    Last edited by skrble; 05-11-17 at 12:10 PM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-11-17 08:09 AM
    Just started typing on my Q10 upside down. I'm not impressed.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-11-17 09:07 AM
    Just started typing on my Q10 upside down. I'm not impressed.
    Lol, then not experienced enough

05-11-17 12:11 PM
    Why the glossy surface... why did TCL take this turn instead of the more conventional sheen from the Q10, Classic, Passport? I don't think this is such a good idea.
    05-17-17 01:21 PM
    Why the glossy surface... why did TCL take this turn instead of the more conventional sheen from the Q10, Classic, Passport? I don't think this is such a good idea.
    The idea is great - letters won't simply wear off (as it used to happen to a few).
    05-17-17 04:58 PM
    They wanted it to look shiny to try and make it look more conventional in a sea of slabs. To have the glass flow all the way through the phone from the screen to the chin. They also wanted it to be more slippery for the swiping on the keyboard.

I disagree with both and wish it was matte, but it is what it is.
    05-17-17 05:21 PM
    I tried KeyOne just a hour ago in local store. I have been using Q10 for a longer time, and Priv as well in the last two weeks.

The shape of the keys has changed a bit. To me shape of keys feel just like if you turned your Q10 upside down and put your fingers on the keyboard: the shape is just reversed (higher on the upper side than on the bottom). That's more or less the same design as Priv, K1's keys are much higher, though. They are clicky as well, so no worries regarding this thing.

I really didn't like the surface of the keys itself. I type the way that I simply "drive" my thumbs through the keyboard and press the keys when I slide to them. This is much harder on the K1, because the keys are glossy, they feel like they were "greasy". This makes "driving the thumb" on the keyboard really incomfortable. Maybe it gets OK later (Priv's keys get clickier after some time as well, despite being strange in the beginning).

God knows. Maybe it just needs some time to get used to it...

It's funny. I never get why companies keep changing things, which had been already brushed to the state of excellency. We had many great keyboards in the legacy age, okay, they wanted to set the keys to grid without curves. We've had Classic and Passport, both setting new standards. And now, things got changed again: mechanism, surface, it all is different. Why?

But generally it's ok, I think. You'll get used to it, there are plenty of perfectly happy users, which is the best provement. Maybe, I am just too critical. However, it doesn't beat the Classics's, nor Passport's keyboard.

EDIT: maybe the keyboard was just greasy from hands of someone, who held the phone before I did. That would "resolve" the issue at all, because aside the finger "friction" on the keyboard, overall typing was just fine!

Thanks for the elaborate answer!! I type the same way that you do, and I'm disappointed to hear that the keys don't offer the ability to comfortably type the way I do now. With AT&T finally getting the KEYone next month, I'm eager to see the KEYone in-person and see if the clickiness and layout make up for the new texture. I agree though: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-17 01:22 PM
    Thanks for the elaborate answer!! I type the same way that you do, and I'm disappointed to hear that the keys don't offer the ability to comfortably type the way I do now. With AT&T finally getting the KEYone next month, I'm eager to see the KEYone in-person and see if the clickiness and layout make up for the new texture. I agree though: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Posted via CB10
    you can see a live KEYone in person in a Sprint store... Just because you're on AT&T doesn't mean you can't stop by a sprint store.. lol

I liked the matte keys of old but the new glossy ones work just fine. It's made so that it's easier to swipe and so that the letters don't eventually rub off.
    08-24-17 01:44 PM
    you can see a live KEYone in person in a Sprint store... Just because you're on AT&T doesn't mean you can't stop by a sprint store.. lol

I liked the matte keys of old but the new glossy ones work just fine. It's made so that it's easier to swipe and so that the letters don't eventually rub off.
    My local Sprint store literally has like 8 phones on display certainly the KEYone isn't one they decided to put out. So I can't see it in-person till AT&T displays theirs, which I think they will since they have 25+ phones on display at their store. I'm only with AT&T till the end of next month, then I'm moving overseas for school for a few years.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-17 04:55 PM