Hey friends,

just stumbled about that Punkt MP002 device and it's marketing says it's "BlackBerry secure" with .

But what does it mean?
    How does BlackBerry exactly make it secure?

As far as I know, it's made to be (mostly) a "basic" feature phone:
    - Making / receiving calls
    - Basic texting via SMS / MMS

So, how is there a need to be "BlackBerry Secure"?

Are those calls encrypted somehow?
    And as far as I know SMS / MMS isn't encrypted at all.

I mean when you take an old, basic Nokia Symbian OS running device there seems to be the same amount of privacy / security.

Thanks for all your replies!
    11-08-19 09:32 AM
    It has a hardened kernel much like the full-Android phones and they claim encrypted calls over VoLTE. They also try to keep your hotspotting secure.

You are correct about no real security with SMS. I just read about how China infiltrated telcos in order to skim text messages:

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...aders-messages
    11-08-19 09:58 AM
    BlackBerry Secure re: Punkt mostly refers to hardware root of trust, ensuring that only signed hot garbage can be loaded on the phone.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-08-19 10:16 AM
    Hey friends,

just stumbled about that Punkt MP002 device and it's marketing says it's "BlackBerry secure" with .

But what does it mean?

I mean when you take an old, basic Nokia Symbian OS running device there seems to be the same amount of privacy / security.

For once I agree with thurask...hot garbage is indeed what you will get here.

The Punkt phones are running Android, albeit a lesser version than most smartphones out there. The "Blackberry Secure" moniker denotes the security software that theoretically secures Android, running on top of another Android-based phone just like the TCL varieties.
    11-08-19 04:49 PM

The Punkt phones are running Android, albeit a lesser version than most smartphones out there. The "Blackberry Secure" moniker denotes the security software that theoretically secures Android, running on top of another Android-based phone just like the TCL varieties.
    Well ...
    The Punkt is so secure because you can't do anything with it...
    TrumpetTiger and John Albert like this.
    11-08-19 07:09 PM

That's not it at all. BlackBerry Secure is a process, and has many components - much of which are kernel-level, and system-level software. Only the permission monitoring component could be argued as running "on top" of vanilla Android.

http://help.blackberry.com/en/securi...y-Guide-en.pdf
    11-09-19 12:08 AM
    Hey friends,

But what does it mean?

The Punkt still operates on Android - but it is a scaled-down, limited-feature version.
    11-09-19 12:12 AM
    That's not it at all. BlackBerry Secure is a process, and has many components - much of which are kernel-level, and system-level software. Only the permission monitoring component could be argued as running "on top" of vanilla Android.

I find it fascinating you argue that Blackberry Secure is somehow not running on top of Android but that the Blackberry 10 OS can be divorced from QNX.
    11-11-19 03:15 PM
    I find it fascinating you argue that Blackberry Secure is somehow not running on top of Android but that the Blackberry 10 OS can be divorced from QNX.
    BB10 isn't divorced from QNX. But existing QNX code makes up a very tiny portion of the overall code.

So even though QNX neutrino exists for 64-bit, that's barely any consolation for BB10.
    11-11-19 03:29 PM