First here are the details: It has never been used. OS version 5.0.0.328, I'm in the U.S., and this is my first blackberry ever so I don't know much.

Before I activate this with Verizon I want to double check on some things. I was wondering what my map situation would be like. Would I still have access to updated maps via blackberry maps? Would google maps be available?

P.S. You'll want to know why I wanted such an old phone. I wanted an old school phone without WIFI because I just don't need more internet in my life. I am in school and on my laptop constantly and don't need it on my phone. I have my reasons.
    07-07-17 11:56 AM
    First here are the details: It has never been used. OS version 5.0.0.328, I'm in the U.S., and this is my first blackberry ever so I don't know much.

Before I activate this with Verizon I want to double check on some things. I was wondering what my map situation would be like. Would I still have access to updated maps via blackberry maps? Would google maps be available?

P.S. You'll want to know why I wanted such an old phone. I wanted an old school phone without WIFI because I just don't need more internet in my life. I am in school and on my laptop constantly and don't need it on my phone. I have my reasons.
    Great post, the maps will be what they are as the phones OS is behind the curve (no pun intended.)
    07-07-17 02:27 PM
    Great post, the maps will be what they are as the phones OS is behind the curve (no pun intended.)
    Haha thanks I appreciate the response! Do you know how well the maps worked on the storm with 3g? i.e. how much lag there was? Just curious if anyone here had a storm and knows.
    07-07-17 03:01 PM
    Haha thanks I appreciate the response! Do you know how well the maps worked on the storm with 3g? i.e. how much lag there was? Just curious if anyone here had a storm and knows.
    I have to find my old curve since it can't update ( I think ) to so 10 at the very least it will be flying by the seat of your pants.
    07-07-17 04:45 PM
    I have to find my old curve since it can't update ( I think ) to so 10 at the very least it will be flying by the seat of your pants.
    don't think I understand your post sorry...
    07-07-17 06:16 PM
    Sorry about that, what I should have said was' the curve can't run OS 10 so the maps are what they are.
    07-07-17 06:22 PM
    Sorry about that, what I should have said was' the curve can't run OS 10 so the maps are what they are.
    Thanks for all of your help again. So I have AT&T and the nokia phone i bought online was used and the touch screen is jacked up so I think i may switch to verizon and use this Storm that i got. But that will be a big hassle and I want to make sure I can send MMS with the storm before I switch carriers. Will I for sure be able to get service books for the MMS? Is there a way to do it BEFORE getting set up with verizon?
    07-12-17 11:37 PM
    Ask Verizon! Easy!

Posted from BlackBerry Z30
    07-13-17 12:07 AM
    it's been a while since i had used the storm and couldn't remember what maps was about...So i started it up to try .

It works ok to get directions but when using maps it is very slow.( when zooming in or moving around ) refreshing takes forever .

It basically feels very dated .

If you want to experiment with BBOS , i would suggest something running version 7.
    ( Bold 9900 / 9930 for example )
    Maps work better / quicker .

Sent from my BB Storm2 using Tapatalk
    southpaw102 likes this.
    07-13-17 12:33 AM
    Ask Verizon! Easy!

Posted from BlackBerry Z30
    gotcha. to be honest i don't fully understand what "service books" are, just that they are some kind of software needed for certain features i think, so I didn't know whether to ask blackberry or verizon. I meant noob when I said it. I'll give them a call.
    07-13-17 09:37 AM
    You will need BIS to run Map on the Storm. So you'll have to check if Verizon is still providing BIS. The problem can be that the people working at Verizon now may not know what BIS is.
    Once your phone got a BIS plan, the service book will be pushed to your phone by the carrier. Service book is like set of protocols follow which phone will work with the carrier system.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    southpaw102 likes this.
    07-13-17 09:57 AM
    You will need BIS to run Map on the Storm. So you'll have to check if Verizon is still providing BIS. The problem can be that the people working at Verizon now may not know what BIS is.
    Once your phone got a BIS plan, the service book will be pushed to your phone by the carrier. Service book is like set of protocols follow which phone will work with the carrier system.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Don't bother asking for BIS. Just walk into store and have phone added to your account. BIS should provision automatically.
    southpaw102 likes this.
    07-13-17 10:18 AM
    Don't bother asking for BIS. Just walk into store and have phone added to your account. BIS should provision automatically.
    Will I have to pay for BIS on the storm?
    07-13-17 12:21 PM
    Will I have to pay for BIS on the storm?
    No idea but I don't think so. Years ago when I had it, price was included as part of plan. Before that, it used to be a separate charge on top of and later instead of data charge. At the end back in 2013, my plan included BIS as part of the cost. At worst, in the beginning, it was $10'addon but that as like back in 2004-2005 range....
    07-13-17 02:00 PM