I just got a new BlackBerry KEY2 LE. I'm looking to minimize my interaction with Google as much as possible. I know it's possible to use Yalp (the current fork version) or Aurora to get and manage free apps from the Google Play Store without using your own Google account.

However, can Yalp or Aurora be used to handle updates for the preinstalled BB apps? Or would they have the wrong signatures? I would rather not be dependent on manually updating and sideloading the BB suite, which seems dangerous as well as cumbersome.

Has anyone experimented with this? I saw this thread (https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-android-os-f456/keyone-de-googled-its-awesome-1114355/), but it doesn't address that specific issue.

Thanks!
    10-25-19 06:43 AM
    It can. In the past I used yalp. Nowadays Aurora.
    10-27-19 08:05 AM
    Are you really avoiding Google though? You’re still using Android OS based apps. Between carrier tracking and developer tracking, what does it matter regarding Google tracking? Also, if any of the apps require location services, aren’t you opening up to Google at some level? I don’t really think you can be anonymous today.
    10-27-19 10:08 AM
    Are you really avoiding Google though? You’re still using Android OS based apps. Between carrier tracking and developer tracking, what does it matter regarding Google tracking? Also, if any of the apps require location services, aren’t you opening up to Google at some level? I don’t really think you can be anonymous today.
    The only thing that can't be passively blocked by the user is Carrier tracking of position. Some carriers offer an "opt out" function on their site, but we have to take them on faith that this actually does any thing - I doubt it.

To stop this requires leaving the device in airplane mode until actively used, and then back into airplane mode. This reduces the trail to a smattering of bread crumbs. Or relying entirely on WIFI, but this has it's own issues such as MAC address tracking - this is one reason I'm looking forward to a Linux device like the Librem or Pine phone which can spoof MAC addresses.

Location services do not require Google's involvement.

To avoid developer tracking people need to start using firewalls and Tor/VPN and biasing towards using Web apps vs apks whenever available.
    10-27-19 11:21 AM
    The only thing that can't be passively blocked by the user is Carrier tracking of position. Some carriers offer an "opt out" function on their site, but we have to take them on faith that this actually does any thing - I doubt it.

To stop this requires leaving the device in airplane mode until actively used, and then back into airplane mode. This reduces the trail to a smattering of bread crumbs. Or relying entirely on WIFI, but this has it's own issues such as MAC address tracking - this is one reason I'm looking forward to a Linux device like the Librem or Pine phone which can spoof MAC addresses.

Location services do not require Google's involvement.

To avoid developer tracking people need to start using firewalls and Tor/VPN and biasing towards using Web apps vs apks whenever available.
    I guess what I’m saying is that if you’re still buying Android phone in 2019/2020, using outside apk vendors can be 90% placebo and that number grows each day to maintain compatibility and functionality with the vendors themselves.
    10-27-19 12:05 PM
    I guess what I’m saying is that if you’re still buying Android phone in 2019/2020, using outside apk vendors can be 90% placebo and that number grows each day to maintain compatibility and functionality with the vendors themselves.
    Absolutely, Yalp or Aurora are directly contacting Google.

But these apps have Orbot compatibility which means they can be routed over Tor, even without a firewall like Netguard routing connections to Orbot.

In addition, these two apps do not require a gmail account to work, and the user's device can be spoofed so as to not send actual device info to Google.

So all Google would see is a Tor IP address, a generic Gmail account which is provided by the app and a spoofed device.
    10-27-19 12:21 PM
    Absolutely, Yalp or Aurora are directly contacting Google.

But these apps have Orbot compatibility which means they can be routed over Tor, even without a firewall like Netguard routing connections to Orbot.

In addition, these two apps do not require a gmail account to work, and the user's device can be spoofed so as to not send actual device info to Google.

So all Google would see is a Tor IP address, a generic Gmail account which is provided by the app and a spoofed device.
    Thank you for that explanation. It helps me understand further.
    chetmanley likes this.
    10-27-19 12:52 PM
    What is Aurora? Probably not ship in Russia.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-19 06:44 AM
    What is Aurora? Probably not ship in Russia.

Posted via CB10
    https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aurora.store/
    10-28-19 09:35 AM
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-19 12:14 PM
    Yalp store is giving an error and Aurora is looking like maybe swallowed by Goo and requiring sign-in. Is anyone getting these to work in the last couple of days?
    11-30-19 03:39 PM
    No, unfortunately not working for me anymore either. Haven't tried making a google account yet to sign in.
    12-07-19 12:19 AM
    You can also use a non-google e-mail address as a Google account too.

Though, if you try and launch Gmail, it'll error out. HAHAHAHA!!!!

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    Yesterday 01:23 AM