Just got my classic, and I'm loving it so far.

I am having some trouble setting up notifications the way I'd like though. Facebook's noise I can work around I think, but I'm having more trouble figuring out Gmail. Any place I've done business with using this account sends me ads now and then. Normally Gmail does a good job of filtering the social and promotional garbage into their own folders. On my Blackberry though, I'm seeing a notification for each add that gets sent my way. Any possibility of only getting notifications for the "Primary" section of my inbox?
    03-09-15 09:06 PM
    It sounds like your Gmail Spam folder is being synced to your device. You just need to change that. Go to Settings, Accounts and select your Gmail account. Scroll down and tap Edit Folder Settings. Fin the Span folder and uncheck it. That should do it.
    03-10-15 08:36 AM
    Thanks for the response!

I don't think that's it. I did some more looking around. Gmail is splitting all my emails into what are apparently called 'categories'. Categories aren't really first class citizens; they only effect the display of your inbox, and won't show up in IMAP. Gmail does have labels though; I guess these are the equivalent to folders here (like folders, but each message can have more than one). I can set up a filter to add an appropriate label to each email based on the category.

So I have all my emails that I actually want sync'd labelled 'Primary' now, so it shows up in the account's folder settings. I've unchecked everything I can from folder settings, aside from Primary. Inbox, etc I have no option to turn off. The ones with the 'Not Primary' label are still showing up. In the hub I can change views to look at just the Primary folder, but that doesn't hide the less important emails like I want.

Pretend edit: I figured it out before posting this followup. I added the "skip inbox" option to the benign junk mail filter. So it looks for all the mail with the term "!categoryrimary" and adds a label too it (which at this point is only useful for me to still easily find it), and then skips the inbox (archives the message). I can't avoid syncing the inbox, so this seems like the best way. The only downside is that I now don't get the convenient category tabs on the inbox. They're just on the left nav though, so still fine. I could have also just moved these messages to spam I think, but that holds the truly worthless messages and things there only last 30 days.

This ended up being more of a Google issue than Blackberry, but hopefully this can eventually help someone else fix the same issue.
    03-11-15 06:09 PM
    Glad you're somewhat sorted out.

Gmail's IMAP implementation is somewhat different than the standard. It took me a bit of finessing to get it to mesh with BB 10 the way I wanted.
    03-11-15 06:21 PM