Hello. I have a Priv, and a few times now while surfing reputable websites, I've been getting a pop up that claims my phone is damaged by a virus from adult sites and to click "OK" to continue. For example when I am reading a quiche recipe on Martha Stewart. I'm confident that it isn't an actual notification, that it is some form of malware or virus, but don't know how to find out and eradicate it. Any guidance on good security apps or is there something native I can use to scan?? TIA
    01-03-17 09:06 AM
    It's not a virus or an actual notification. It's a scareware scam to try to get you to install malware on your device.
    01-03-17 09:09 AM
    This is why ad blockers exist.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-03-17 11:14 AM
    How would I get this to stop?
    01-03-17 12:01 PM
    Can you recommend an ad blocker? Oh Any advice. I appreciate your time .
    01-03-17 12:02 PM
    Can you recommend an ad blocker? Oh Any advice. I appreciate your time .
    Firefox on Android has adblock support, as does Opera, or use a dedicated ad-blocking browser like Adblock Plus's browser. Nothing for regular Chrome without root.

Configuring ad-block at your WiFi's DNS level is also a good option, but that would require an always-on Linux machine.
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    01-03-17 12:05 PM
    Thank you I was not aware of this. As a low skill user I think I'll try this. Thanks
    01-03-17 03:27 PM
    Why do I see this on many sites ? Really no google help?
    01-03-17 03:51 PM
    Picked up PEPWAVE SOHO router $170 and has easy to use configuration for adware, and much more.

Also, malware has found its way to a lot of the consumer grade routers to put to use serving up adware, even Netgear 6xxx series Nighthawk.

Try using Chrome with Javascript blocked, yes a lot of sites won't work but those that do load fast. And once I installed router added filters, Chrome is better.
    01-03-17 04:37 PM
    Picked up PEPWAVE SOHO router $170 and has easy to use configuration for adware, and much more.

Also, malware has found its way to a lot of the consumer grade routers to put to use serving up adware, even Netgear 6xxx series Nighthawk.

Try using Chrome with Javascript blocked, yes a lot of sites won't work but those that do load fast. And once I installed router added filters, Chrome is better.
    Disabling remote administration/telnet/SSH, using up-to-date firmware (or better yet, up-to-date third-party firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato) and changing the default login should be enough to safeguard most routers.

As for adblocking I like Pi-Hole running on a Raspberry Pi 3 tucked away on a shelf as the main DNS server. Works even for mobile.
    01-03-17 05:01 PM
    Firefox on Android has adblock support, as does Opera, or use a dedicated ad-blocking browser like Adblock Plus's browser. Nothing for regular Chrome without root.

Configuring ad-block at your WiFi's DNS level is also a good option, but that would require an always-on Linux machine.
    I use Adblock Plus on Chrome, but it only works when on WiFi.

https://update.adblockplus.org/lates...lusandroid.apk
    01-03-17 05:11 PM
    Well that's cool but over my head. Thanks for the reply. I'll work with the first suggestions. I miss my bb10.
    01-03-17 08:06 PM