Am reconciled to getting a Pixel 5A shortly, and my thought is I will try to bring a pocket-sized keyboard, or some type of folding bluetooth keyboard, to accompany the slab phone.

The ideal would be something that allows thumb typing just like my Q10, that can be used anywhere without needing to sit at a desk or hard surface.

Like many of you, I type much much better on a physical keyboard. The typical use case is, I am reading and taking notes, or waking up in the night with a brainstorm to put in Evernote, or having a serious email exchange while in my car or some place away from my computer.

There are little keyboards that seem to be aimed at gamers or people needing to type on their TVs, which allow thumb typing, which would be ideal for me. However the reviews are very mixed.

The larger folding keyboards seem way beyond pocket sized and also are for normal typing. Probably can't be easily used laying down or sitting back or in the car.

I hope I don't end up with a drawer full of keyboards while I figure this out, so would appreciate any experience that users here can share.
    11-21-21 02:36 PM
    Am reconciled to getting a Pixel 5A shortly, and my thought is I will try to bring a pocket-sized keyboard, or some type of folding bluetooth keyboard, to accompany the slab phone.

The ideal would be something that allows thumb typing just like my Q10, that can be used anywhere without needing to sit at a desk or hard surface.

Like many of you, I type much much better on a physical keyboard. The typical use case is, I am reading and taking notes, or waking up in the night with a brainstorm to put in Evernote, or having a serious email exchange while in my car or some place away from my computer.

There are little keyboards that seem to be aimed at gamers or people needing to type on their TVs, which allow thumb typing, which would be ideal for me. However the reviews are very mixed.

The larger folding keyboards seem way beyond pocket sized and also are for normal typing. Probably can't be easily used laying down or sitting back or in the car.

I hope I don't end up with a drawer full of keyboards while I figure this out, so would appreciate any experience that users here can share.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes....

I think you might be better off dual carrying a BlackBerry or something like the Unihertz Pocket.... use it only for typing and then transfer the results to your 5A to actually use the information.
    11-22-21 08:35 AM

I'd suggest getting the 5a, using the VKB on a practice level and determine just how much you'll need the PKB and for what scenarios. To me, that would help determine the future use needs and solutions better. The Pixel 3a then 5a for me really demonstrated how much better VKBs have evolved along with the larger size. For me, the BlackBerry VKB really was awesome compared with iPhones and my regular Android, primarily LG, devices. The XR and iPad VKB had me really happy on the iOS platform but my V30 just didn't match the PRIV, DTEK or Motion from a VKB standpoint. That changed with the 3a and moreso the 5a now.
    11-22-21 09:46 AM
    I'd suggest getting the 5a, using the VKB on a practice level and determine just how much you'll need the PKB and for what scenarios. To me, that would help determine the future use needs and solutions better. The Pixel 3a then 5a for me really demonstrated how much better VKBs have evolved along with the larger size. For me, the BlackBerry VKB really was awesome compared with iPhones and my regular Android, primarily LG, devices. The XR and iPad VKB had me really happy on the iOS platform but my V30 just didn't match the PRIV, DTEK or Motion from a VKB standpoint. That changed with the 3a and moreso the 5a now.
    That's good advice about waiting for the device to see how typing on the screen works out. My trusty Samsung tablets have been great in every respect for years for browsing but most times I try to write more than a sentence I get done and find all my spaces are filled with "m"s and "n"s. Maybe I will do better on the Pixel. Thanks!
    11-22-21 10:33 AM
    I'm sure he knows how to use a VKB and just prefers a PKB and understands that it's better for typing?
    Last edited by the_boon; 11-22-21 at 12:20 PM.
    11-22-21 11:57 AM
    That's good advice about waiting for the device to see how typing on the screen works out. My trusty Samsung tablets have been great in every respect for years for browsing but most times I try to write more than a sentence I get done and find all my spaces are filled with "m"s and "n"s. Maybe I will do better on the Pixel. Thanks!
    Typing on the 5a could have a bit better than your past experiences, but it's still glass and it won't equate to a decent keyboard experience.

If you don't mind dual carrying a keyboard phone (Q10, Classic, KEY2/LE) with the Pixel, then that would be the better option for now.
    11-22-21 11:58 AM
    Typing on the 5a could have a bit better than your past experiences, but it's still glass and it won't equate to a decent keyboard experience.
    For you.
    11-22-21 12:31 PM

If you don't mind dual carrying a keyboard phone (Q10, Classic, KEY2/LE) with the Pixel, then that would be the better option for now.
    But what kind of experience is it trying to live with two devices? I'd love to be able to ditch my wallet and my keys so I only had one thing to carry around.... getting there.
    11-22-21 01:05 PM
    For you.
    Stating that VKB is as good as PKB for typing is like stating that watching a movie on a KEY2 offers a comparable experience to watching it on a 6.5" slab.

It goes both ways...
    11-22-21 01:33 PM
    But what kind of experience is it trying to live with two devices? I'd love to be able to ditch my wallet and my keys so I only had one thing to carry around.... getting there.
    I can see the convenience in that, but it also means that if that one item is lost, then they all are.

I guess they're also getting there with Teslas, apparently they can be unlocked and driven with just the app.
    11-22-21 01:34 PM
    Stating that VKB is as good as PKB for typing is like stating that watching a movie on a KEY2 offers a comparable experience to watching it on a 6.5" slab.

It goes both ways...
    No it doesn't.

Most actually prefer to type on a vkb. I'm getting that way myself, and may have actually crossed over.
    11-22-21 01:35 PM
    No it doesn't.

Some actually prefer to type on a vkb. I'm getting that way myself.
    Yes it does.

Keys are designed for typing (on any device), and screens are designed for consuming (on any device).
    11-22-21 01:37 PM
    Yes it does.

Keys are designed for typing (on any device), and screens are designed for consuming (on any device).
    Sorry, but this doesn't apply, since a screen is also optimised for two-thumbed typing now too.
    11-22-21 01:37 PM
    Sorry, but this doesn't apply, since a screen is also optimised for typing now too.
    It got better at it, but it's not on the level of a real, thought-out set of keys. And don't expect it to ever be.
    11-22-21 01:39 PM
    It got better at it, but it's not on the level of a real, thought-out set of keys.
    For YOU.

Stop trying to make this about anything more than personal preference. Your opinion is not objectively true.
    11-22-21 01:39 PM
    It got better at it, but it's not on the level of a real, thought-out set of keys. And don't expect it to ever be.

The outliers have to deal with either dual carrying, phones made and sold per PRC guild lines, Kickstarter that may or may not deliver, weak cameras, middle grade devices, premiums, devices that don't get updates or patches, the question of is it secure, or will my carrier support it.... or just really old devices. But that's too much for 99.999% of smartphone users to deal with, so they move on.

I know you dream is someone really big like Samsung or Google decides to forgo the risks, the challenges and lack of any material market and offers a retro PKB phone without any premiums and with a hefty marketing budget, but just out of the good for all mankind that their companies are based on (sure).

I think TCL or Nokia were you best shot, maybe OM scared them off... but I don't think so. In the end I think Unihertz is your best shot... but even that's not likely to last.
    11-22-21 02:43 PM
    I'm sure he knows how to use a VKB and just prefers a PKB and understands that it's better for typing?
    Better for who in 2021 really? Considering that OP states they’ve chosen the Pixel 5a in first sentence. You act like there’s some battle or purpose to defend the PKB in every reply. Especially with the larger devices, the PKB is quickly becoming irrelevant for most of the remaining users. People that used BBOS and BB10 were on the platform as much for the proprietary experience as PKB in many cases. If just moving to Android now, I’m sure many BBOS and BB10 users choose Pixels for a hoped for better, lighter experience. You’ll notice in this case, user already has Tab but opted for another Android experience.
    pdr733 likes this.
    11-22-21 03:00 PM
    Not as good as Pixel or iPhone for overall utilitarian capabilities. Where a smartphone is valuable is as single all in one device for mobility without having a second device. The never larger always smaller fixed screen is the problem. The VKB killed the PKB AND SLIDERS since that versatility became advantage overweighing a PKB advantage stuck in time.

For times where a PKB could really be useful, a 13” or 14” laptop is now far more powerful and useful. If dual-carrying, that’s become a better setup. The minute, an email requires attached document editing, 4.5” is too small. Could I do it on Android or IOS, of course, efficiently, no, however better on a larger screen device letting that VKB open and close.

Society constantly realigning norms and priorities chopped up the benefits of smaller PKB devices in addition to quality issue constraints with expectations.
    11-22-21 03:15 PM
    Better for who in 2021 really? Considering that OP states they’ve chosen the Pixel 5a in first sentence. You act like there’s some battle or purpose to defend the PKB in every reply.
    This 1000000x. I get that he likes the PKBs and would do anything to keep using them but why the constant evangelizing?
    11-22-21 03:16 PM

My case is somewhat similar. I changed a few keyboards, one folding among them. I did not find those "TV" keyboards convenient, but it's just me, I prefer either a smartphone keyboard or something like the old Blackberry mini keyboard for Playbook, but not anything in between. The most comfortable was another "vintage" - HP Touchpad keyboard, but it was even larger, not the pocket device.
    So I continue to type long texts on my Passport dual carrying with an Android device. But sometimes I go to the "office" in my favourite cafe with the Touchpad keyboard and the tablet in the backpack.
    11-22-21 05:04 PM
    It's that hard for people here to understand that a real set of keys is better for typing than a flat surface made for consumption.
    11-22-21 09:08 PM
    For YOU.

Stop trying to make this about anything more than personal preference. Your opinion is not objectively true.
    And yours is always the right one because you're a trusted member.
    11-22-21 09:08 PM
    And yours is always the right one because you're a trusted member.
    But I'm saying to each his/her own, while you're saying your position is absolute.
    11-22-21 09:09 PM
    It's that hard for people here to understand that a real set of keys is better for typing than a flat surface made for consumption.
    For YOU.
    11-22-21 09:12 PM
    But I'm saying to each his/her own, while you're saying your position is absolute.
    My flip side argument that watching a film on the KEY2 is worse than watching it on a big screen slab is also not exactly subjective.

It works both ways, doesn't it? Or does everything always to work against a physical set of keys?
    11-22-21 09:15 PM
47 12