I have zero technology skills. I was trying to connect my blackberry classic to back it up on my laptop through blackberry link. I couldn't get it to connect. It did a software update on wiped out my phone. I can't get the phone to connect to link now to transfer contacts. Somehow I connected to Blend and it saved my photos and videos. But otherwise, it required me to set the phone up as if new. All contacts, texts, etc are gone. The sim card shows no saved contacts either.
    Please help! this is not a good feeling to be facing in light of current circumstances.
    Thank you in advance for the help.
    03-19-20 12:45 PM
    I have zero technology skills. I was trying to connect my blackberry classic to back it up on my laptop through blackberry link. I couldn't get it to connect. It did a software update on wiped out my phone. I can't get the phone to connect to link now to transfer contacts. Somehow I connected to Blend and it saved my photos and videos. But otherwise, it required me to set the phone up as if new. All contacts, texts, etc are gone. The sim card shows no saved contacts either.
    Please help! this is not a good feeling to be facing in light of current circumstances.
    Thank you in advance for the help.
    If the phone wiped, then there is nothing to salvage.

Do you have any old backups? Did you have cloud sync (gmail)?
    03-19-20 12:52 PM
    Well somehow I could connect to blend and that seemed to restore my photos but not my contacts. My phone will not connect to link on my laptop via usb port. That is where I did my last back up of contacts. But when I go into Link on my laptop it says it is not connected. It is as if the software update restored it to factory settings. Can I get my contacts restored through blend?
    03-19-20 01:00 PM
    Well somehow I could connect to blend and that seemed to restore my photos but not my contacts. My phone will not connect to link on my laptop via usb port. That is where I did my last back up of contacts. But when I go into Link on my laptop it says it is not connected. It is as if the software update restored it to factory settings. Can I get my contacts restored through blend?
    Blend won't do it.

Are your pictures on your SD card? That doesn't get wiped.
    03-19-20 01:24 PM
    Also when it showing the media card is connected. Are my contacts on my sim card? I remember in the past when I got a new phone they add to download the sim card onto the device? How do I do that?
    03-19-20 01:29 PM
    They are on media card I think that's how I found them but I can't find contacts anywhere and I needed to re- log in set everything up again. It won't let me add my gmail contacts either and even when it is on discoverable bluetooth, it won't let me pair my device with my laptop.
    03-19-20 01:31 PM
    They are on media card I think that's how I found them but I can't find contacts anywhere and I needed to re- log in set everything up again. It won't let me add my gmail contacts either and even when it is on discoverable bluetooth, it won't let me pair my device with my laptop.
    Ok, so your SD card explains your photos.

If you have gmail, check online for your contacts.

When setting up again, you will need to do some extra work to get those contacts back on your device:

https://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-t...evice-1177586/
    03-19-20 01:43 PM
    Thank you for your help with the gmail contacts. I believe my cell phone contacts are on my sim card. My photos are on a media card I have inserted. I know I can eventually get my emails from my gmail, but for now I need cell contacts. Sorry for my lack of clarity. I feel a sense of urgency to get this fixed asap because my daughter has been in and out of hospital. Thank you.
    03-19-20 01:51 PM
    also I did set up my gmail accounts, but it would not allow my gmail contacts to transfer it said try again later there was an error (but my gmail is only my emails, not my cell phone contacts)
    03-19-20 01:58 PM
    I think maybe what I did, when my device wouldn't connect to my blackberry link on laptop, I may have accidentally hit the tab at the bottom that says reload device software (which maybe restored to factory settings?) But wouldn't my cell phone contact numbers be stored in sim card or media card or somewhere besides the actual device and I can somehow restore them. I can hardly restore 20 years worth of phone contact information...
    03-19-20 02:25 PM
    My notes are also missing if that is a clue. I have only photos from media card. Otherwise I am missing everthing I set up on my device, all contacts, all new apps, and all my notes in "remember' app.
    03-19-20 02:37 PM
    also I did set up my gmail accounts, but it would not allow my gmail contacts to transfer it said try again later there was an error (but my gmail is only my emails, not my cell phone contacts)
    That's why I provided the extra instructions for your Gmail contacts.
    03-19-20 02:52 PM
    My notes are also missing if that is a clue. I have only photos from media card. Otherwise I am missing everthing I set up on my device, all contacts, all new apps, and all my notes in "remember' app.
    Unless you were syncing them with Evernote, they are gone too. Everything gets erased in a wipe.
    03-19-20 02:53 PM
    I think maybe what I did, when my device wouldn't connect to my blackberry link on laptop, I may have accidentally hit the tab at the bottom that says reload device software (which maybe restored to factory settings?) But wouldn't my cell phone contact numbers be stored in sim card or media card or somewhere besides the actual device and I can somehow restore them. I can hardly restore 20 years worth of phone contact information...
    If some were stored on your SIM, they'd still be there now. Otherwise everything is gone apart from your Gmail contacts.
    03-19-20 02:54 PM
    Unless you had a LINK backup and you can use, to restore your data.... it's just gone. Photos could easily be moved to SD Storage... those not taken before you moved to SD storage. But not system info like Texts, Contacts, Remember...... that was on the drive that was wiped with the new OS install.

If there are SIM contacts, you should see them. But generally Contacts are no longer stored on the SIM card, unless you add them there manually.

Your going to have to start all over - might be a good idea to move to something less fragile than BB10 at this point. If you need a PKB, a KEY2 or LE.... if it not a must, an iPhone is a easy to use device that is a breeze to maintain with little to no tech skill.
    kimberleys99 likes this.
    03-19-20 02:58 PM
    I know it's terrible. I keep the bb classic because I need the keypad to type on and also the mouse toggle switch. I am in quandary for sure.
    03-19-20 03:07 PM
    Thanks for all your help. This is really disturbing news. I followed all your detailed instructions to download my gmail contacts and they won't load. But one last hope. Is there a way to go into sim card and sync with my device? I vaguely recall them having to sync the sim card to access the contacts on the sim. Right now the sim card is not showing up on my device and I am praying some are stored there.
    03-19-20 03:09 PM
    I know it's terrible. I keep the bb classic because I need the keypad to type on and also the mouse toggle switch. I am in quandary for sure.
    Should always have a worst case plan.... phone is damaged, lost or stolen, can you get your data. With BB10 today that is tough.

With Android and iOS it's built in, because it's something that happens more than we want to admit.

If you choose to stick with the Classic... there are a number of thread here on best backup practices. Check out the newer ones as the old ones aren't as relevant.
    03-19-20 03:12 PM
    Thanks for all your help. This is really disturbing news. I followed all your detailed instructions to download my gmail contacts and they won't load. But one last hope. Is there a way to go into sim card and sync with my device? I vaguely recall them having to sync the sim card to access the contacts on the sim. Right now the sim card is not showing up on my device and I am praying some are stored there.
    Well, if you follow the instructions properly, you WILL be able to access your gmail contacts on your phone again. In the meantime, you can see them all online.

Those are the only contacts you will recover.
    03-19-20 03:16 PM
    Thank you again for your help. I don't want to give up on the contacts completely. I have a back up from a year ago on blackberry link that should have contacts. I have tried to connect through usb port and also via blue tooth. My phone and laptop both say they are connected, yet link continues to show it as disconnected. Is there any insight into how I may be able to connect to link to retrieve my cell phone contacts? thank you.
    03-19-20 03:41 PM
    Uninstall LINK and all BlackBerry components (Blend and drivers) completely... reboot, and try reinstalling it.

Try a different PC or laptop.
    03-19-20 03:58 PM
    Thank you again for your help. I don't want to give up on the contacts completely. I have a back up from a year ago on blackberry link that should have contacts. I have tried to connect through usb port and also via blue tooth. My phone and laptop both say they are connected, yet link continues to show it as disconnected. Is there any insight into how I may be able to connect to link to retrieve my cell phone contacts? thank you.
    Do you have iTunes installed? You may have to remove that. Do you have Windows SMB v1 disabled? You may have to (temporarily!!!!!) enable that.
    03-19-20 03:59 PM
    Ok I know how to uninstall Itunes but not sure what SMB v1 is or how to enable it.
    03-19-20 04:08 PM
    Ok I know how to uninstall Itunes but not sure what SMB v1 is or how to enable it.
    Just do a quick Google search. The instructions will be visual.
    03-19-20 04:14 PM
    ok will try this thank you!
    03-19-20 04:20 PM
33 12