Hello Crackberry Nation. I have a question. I recently saw the article on Crackberry regarding the Playbook and how you can buy one cheap. I have been doing research on that and am getting more interested in buying one as well as a Torch 9860 to pair with it. I can get both for $150. I want a BB10 device but don't have an upgrade for another year and my current device (GS3 Mini) is not cutting it. My question to you is would it be worth it to buy the Playbook and Torch? I know both devices are long in the tooth but I love Blackberry and I believe for now both would suit my purposes. So what do you think? Go for it or just wait or look for something else? I don't download many applications and am not on any social network. Mostly I use my devices for communication and general web browsing with the occasional game thrown in for fun! Thanks for your help.
    09-15-14 08:51 AM
    what are your purposes? I wouldnt recommend the PB for anything but maybe some light gaming or media consumption. the rest is a very subpar experience.
    FrankIAm and Carl Estes like this.
    09-15-14 09:15 AM
    If you are just looking for the minimal usage as you say that combination should suit you well. The use of Bridge is great. If you want anything more out of the PB you should look elsewhere.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-15-14 09:16 AM
    Thanks! yes just general communication and browsing. Nothing too heavy. The occasional game, email.
    09-15-14 09:20 AM
    Thanks! What is Bridge?
    09-15-14 09:21 AM
    BB Bridge is use to link a Z10 with the playbook over a bluetooth connection, it is very limited, no contact sharing. Pairing a playbook with a torch, is a lot more efficient and you can share your torch data plan with your playbook.
    With a Z10 you'll activate the mobile hotspot to act as a wifi provider for the playbook.
    09-15-14 09:49 AM
    Bridge allows you to text, BBM, email, and look at your calendar on your BB7 phone (I think tasks come up too, it's been over a year since I've had BB7).

Where are you located? You may be able to pick up a BB10 device for $150 (even new) which would be much better than that combo in my opinion.

I'm finding the PlayBook browser painfully slow now and the Flash player is becoming outdated and doesn't work on all websites anymore.
    09-15-14 10:30 AM
    Browser is terribly slow. If that's your main usage, look elsewhere.
    09-15-14 10:40 AM
    I have had the PB (2)/Torch 9850 combo (still do by the way) and the 2 PBs are still being used, one for Media, music/vids to the tv/audio system (with a BB Music gateway), and the other for Nav (maggellan Compass.) Bridge Rocks!

Now My Z30 has taken the day to day duties of my Playbooks. For a buck-fifty, worthwhile.......Make sure you get the big one, 64 gb. you will fill it up.....

Forgot, the stock browser is a bit wonky, if you use Origami browser (from BB world) you be much happier.....
    c
    09-15-14 01:14 PM
    Just for the record, for the price you mention in the OP you should be able to buy a Z10 unlocked. That would be much better than the Torch/PlayBook combination, as wel as the GS3 mini.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 01:55 PM