Hi Everyone!

I am thinking of buying a blackberry playbook for my boat as a navigational device. what is the GPS like on the playbook? are there any apps i can purchase or that are already on the system? (google maps for example) is there any way i can track the speed i am doing also?
    should i buy an android instead?

Many thanks
    Joe
    07-28-14 01:34 PM
    Yes buy an android or better a marine GPS unit that can handle the environment better..

PlayBook's GPS is very basic and buggy.

Fewer and fewer apps will work with it's older Runtime - you would need an App that has builtin or cacheable maps for your use. Have seen some threads on Marine GPS APPs, you can go do a search for them - very possible that you will find something that will get the job done. But a newer device is much more likely to work better and for longer in the future.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-28-14 01:48 PM
    Hi Joe, you don't say where you will use your boat, if it's out to sea i personally would seek advice on a marine device, a vehicle sat nav might be ok on inland canal/rivers ? why not ask other boat owners they would know the answer, good luck in your search.
    07-28-14 02:08 PM
    Yes buy an android or better a marine GPS unit that can handle the environment better..

PlayBook's GPS is very basic and buggy.

Fewer and fewer apps will work with it's older Runtime - you would need an App that has builtin or cacheable maps for your use. Have seen some threads on Marine GPS APPs, you can go do a search for them - very possible that you will find something that will get the job done. But a newer device is much more likely to work better and for longer in the future.
    c
    07-28-14 02:40 PM