Will the playbook still function as a photo frame or clock after the shut down?

Also when it is turned on it asks for a password. Will I be able to boot it after shut down or will it simply become ewaste. I generally use this device as a photo frame or digital clock as it syncs with time server.
    12-19-21 02:29 AM
    Will the playbook still function as a photo frame or clock after the shut down?

Also when it is turned on it asks for a password. Will I be able to boot it after shut down or will it simply become ewaste. I generally use this device as a photo frame or digital clock as it syncs with time server.
    I doubt if anyone here has a 100% ironclad answer to your questions. We will just have to wait a few more weeks to see what happens. Maybe just put the device in "airplane mode", turn it off then on Jan 5/2022 turn it on and ................?
    12-19-21 09:16 AM
    I doubt if anyone here has a 100% ironclad answer to your questions. We will just have to wait a few more weeks to see what happens. Maybe just put the device in "airplane mode", turn it off then on Jan 5/2022 turn it on and ................?
    Burst into tears? LOL.
    I assume it continues to function well (except BBW) but we'll not be able to wipe it. My assumption is based on opinions on this forum.
    12-19-21 03:54 PM
    I remember a few years back I installed the playbook 10 OS alpha (Before BB scrapped the project) and it skipped past the bbid sign in page. My guess is if somone still has that alpha OS, theoretically you could flash the OS to the playbook and install the BAR files for the release OS.

Yeah is Alpha firmware but it's better than a paperweight
    12-20-21 12:59 PM
    I remember a few years back I installed the playbook 10 OS alpha (Before BB scrapped the project) and it skipped past the bbid sign in page. My guess is if somone still has that alpha OS, theoretically you could flash the OS to the playbook and install the BAR files for the release OS.

Yeah is Alpha firmware but it's better than a paperweight
    Not much better.... that BB10 developer OS was buggy and not fully optimized for the PlayBook. Which is why most stopped bothering to even try installing it.
    12-21-21 08:37 AM
    Not much better.... that BB10 developer OS was buggy and not fully optimized for the PlayBook. Which is why most stopped bothering to even try installing it.
    Fair enough. I thought the OS was only buggy because the BAR files were just unstable and installing the release files it would make it a more usable experience.

I'm curious as to if anyone does still have the alpha OS or a working link to download as I have a spare playbook and willing to experiment with it?
    12-21-21 12:21 PM
    Fair enough. I thought the OS was only buggy because the BAR files were just unstable and installing the release files it would make it a more usable experience.

I'm curious as to if anyone does still have the alpha OS or a working link to download as I have a spare playbook and willing to experiment with it?
    The BARS were just for some apps, but all of BB10 was buggy back then... and only so much could be done as later bars wouldn't install. It wasn't for daily use, but just seeing what you could do - as the was the closest the PlayBook was going to get to BB10. But yeah at this point, what have you got to lose?

But I'm not sure that last patch that BlackBerry gave the PlayBook... didn't lock out that option. Might find the old thread and try PM some of the old members...
    12-21-21 03:50 PM
    Been using mine as a clock for a long time now and would be bummed if it didn't operate as such.
    01-01-22 09:49 PM