Is there a way to have UMA calling and texting on my Passport like my legacy device?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 06:08 AM
    Is there a way to have UMA calling and texting on my Passport like my legacy device?

Posted via CB10
    I believe that the Passport supports Wi-Fi Calling (BlackBerry hasn't done UMA for years - I think the last phone I had that had UMA was my 9700) as I have been told this by an old colleague who now works for BlackBerry - however, I can't find this anywhere in writing on the BlackBerry website.

HOWEVER - even IF the phone has Wi-Fi Calling functionality - the CARRIER has to support it (eg even though EE promised Wi-Fi Calling for my Q10 when I initially purchased, this functionality has never been available for me on my EE phone....)

I expect that the many technical gurus on this forum will be able to give you a much better answer than I can
    raino likes this.
    01-05-15 09:10 AM
    I believe that the Passport supports Wi-Fi Calling (BlackBerry hasn't done UMA for years - I think the last phone I had that had UMA was my 9700) as I have been told this by an old colleague who now works for BlackBerry - however, I can't find this anywhere in writing on the BlackBerry website.

HOWEVER - even IF the phone has Wi-Fi Calling functionality - the CARRIER has to support it (eg even though EE promised Wi-Fi Calling for my Q10 when I initially purchased, this functionality has never been available for me on my EE phone....)

I expect that the many technical gurus on this forum will be able to give you a much better answer than I can
    You absolutely nailed it.

The device is IMS capable (IMS is what carriers are moving towards for software based WiFi calling and voLTE,) it's up to individual carriers to allow the phone to do it. The only carrier bringing WiFi calling to BB10 that I'm aware of is T-Mobile US. I believe they are also the only carrier still heavily invested in WiFi calling.

UMA (hardware based WiFi calling) is dead, long live UMA.
    1980Called likes this.
    01-05-15 09:46 AM
    I love UMA. It's was the only way I could communicate with the outside world while at Yosemite. Sat in front of a school, hooked into their open wifi, and closed on a house. Couldn't get service any other way for 30 miles. What a great feature. I have T mobile.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 11:34 AM
    I have TMOBILE, what app can I use to call/text over wifi?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 11:35 AM
    I have TMOBILE, what app can I use to call/text over wifi?
    Here is an ongoing discussion about this issue, check it out: http://forums.crackberry.com/t-mobil...an-see-964822/

And just to be clear, it's BB10 phones released after the Q10 that aren't allowed to use WiFi calling. If you have a Z10 or Q10, they do it just fine, and you may want to take it with you to Yosemite or other places where you know/suspect that the mobile network signal will be bad.
    01-05-15 02:17 PM
    Here is an ongoing discussion about this issue, check it out: http://forums.crackberry.com/t-mobil...an-see-964822/

And just to be clear, it's BB10 phones released after the Q10 that aren't allowed to use WiFi calling. If you have a Z10 or Q10, they do it just fine, and you may want to take it with you to Yosemite or other places where you know/suspect that the mobile network signal will be bad.
    Raino, so the Q/Z10 running BB10 can make wifi calls? So the problem isn't with BB10 it's the actual phone hardware?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 08:12 PM
    Raino, so the Q/Z10 running BB10 can make wifi calls?
    Correct. The STL100-3 Z10 and SQN100-5 Q10 (i.e. the models sold by TMO.)

So the problem isn't with BB10 it's the actual phone hardware?
    No. The problem is TMO limiting which phones can and cannot use the service. The hardware is capable, as is the software.
    01-05-15 08:36 PM
    Correct. The STL100-3 Z10 and SQN100-5 Q10 (i.e. the models sold by TMO.)

No. The problem is TMO limiting which phones can and cannot use the service. The hardware is capable, as is the software.
    I just called Tmobile just to check. They don't have a wifi calling app for the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 08:47 PM
    I just called Tmobile just to check. They don't have a wifi calling app for the Passport.
    There you go. The only BB10 phones right now that can make avail of WiFi calling on TMO are the Z10 and Q10.
    01-05-15 09:49 PM