I travel a lot and liked to use my Z30 as a media player OTG. I brought a USB OTG adapter, a USB drive filled with whatever show I had been watching and a micro HDMI cable with me.

This worked great on the Z30 I could connect to most hotel TV's and watch what I want with no commercials.

When I got the passport I ordered the slimport adapter from shop BlackBerry for 50 dollars Canadian. It works good but I can not plug my USB OTG adapter with it. I can charge the phone at the same time which is nice but I would have to copy my media to the phone first to play them.

My question is am I missing something that would make this work better? I knows it's not the normal way to use these features.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 05:20 PM
    best explination I could find on the issue... (and it makes me sad)

"The issue is the limited number of pins on the Micro USB port are multi-purpose.
    A Micro USB port has 5 pins, one is power and another is ground, that leaves 3 for data. These 3 "flip" (for want of a better word) between USB mode and Slimport mode, So it can only do one or the other at any time.
    So the lack of data pins on the slimport pass-through port (as stated above) is not the issue. They didn't bother wiring them up because they share a couple of pins in common and so wouldn't work anyway.

Just to clarify a slimport Micro USB connector has 5 pins. Samsung on the other hand are now using MHL 3.0 and they are pushing on with an 11 pin connectors that open up all sorts of options such as simultaneous data connections and even multiple displays! nice! "

Found it from a guy who has tried it with his samsung device in the xda forums. So I guess I need to either a: pick up one of those wifi drives so I dont have to worry about usb otg, or b: grab a 128gb u3 drive.
    12-02-14 05:58 PM
    best explination I could find on the issue... (and it makes me sad)

"The issue is the limited number of pins on the Micro USB port are multi-purpose.
    A Micro USB port has 5 pins, one is power and another is ground, that leaves 3 for data. These 3 "flip" (for want of a better word) between USB mode and Slimport mode, So it can only do one or the other at any time.
    So the lack of data pins on the slimport pass-through port (as stated above) is not the issue. They didn't bother wiring them up because they share a couple of pins in common and so wouldn't work anyway.

Just to clarify a slimport Micro USB connector has 5 pins. Samsung on the other hand are now using MHL 3.0 and they are pushing on with an 11 pin connectors that open up all sorts of options such as simultaneous data connections and even multiple displays! nice! "

Found it from a guy who has tried it with his samsung device in the xda forums. So I guess I need to either a: pick up one of those wifi drives so I dont have to worry about usb otg, or b: grab a 128gb u3 drive.
    Thanks for the quick response. I was afraid of that answer. Would you care to clarify the U3 drive option a little more.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 07:06 PM
    The newer ultra fast cards. I've only seen the 128 in normal sd, waiting for someone to make the microsd onthe 64gb

Basically the new UHS (Ultra high speed) bus. Filling 128gb @ 30mbs is tiresome.
    12-03-14 11:25 AM