I recently bought a Z30 off Kijiji. The phone was originally on Verizon (as it has their logo on the top left corner), but was unlocked. The pervious owner was on Fido, and I'm on Bell. I'm wanting to update to 10.3.2 (as the device was reset and is running 10.2.1), but the website, BlackBerry Link and the software update through the phone all say I'm running the latest software.

So, what determines what phone gets updates? The model number? The carrier?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 06:08 PM
    Hey tjm. The problem is that when you're checking for the update, the phone isn't checking the Verizon network, where the update would be most likely pushed to your phone. I'm pretty sure (another CB member can hopefully verify) that if you were in the US, and on a Wi-Fi network, you'd be able to check for the software update, and it should grab it. Seeing as how that option probably won't help, I think you're going to need to download a loader to put the newest OS on there.
    09-03-15 06:16 PM
    For branded phones, the original carrier takes priority unless you have a SIM card, in which case the SIM takes priority.

However, Verizon phones are special in that a SIM card will never take priority over original carrier (Verizon) because no other carrier puts out OS releases for Verizon phones as no other carrier sells the Verizon model of phones.

So if you want an OTA try this, if you haven't already: take out your Bell SIM card, and check for an update (over WiFi.) This may or may not work, but the idea behind doing this is that it will dissociate your phone from Bell while the SIM card is out. Don't worry about have to be in the US to get a Verizon update pushed to you, as people as far out as India have received updates on their Verizon branded phones (that they imported or whatever.) Also try Link.

But if are comfortable with other means of updating, you'll be able to get something off Sachesi, or an autoloader. The former is a non-destructive updating technique, while autoloaders are destructive in that they wipe your phone. The good thing is that Z30 models are all the same to Sachesi/autoloaders i.e. you don't have to worry about which carrier's update you're getting, or Z30 model#, etc.
    09-03-15 07:32 PM
    For branded phones, the original carrier takes priority unless you have a SIM card, in which case the SIM takes priority.

However, Verizon phones are special in that a SIM card will never take priority over original carrier (Verizon) because no other carrier puts out OS releases for Verizon phones as no other carrier sells the Verizon model of phones.

So if you want an OTA try this, if you haven't already: take out your Bell SIM card, and check for an update (over WiFi.) This may or may not work, but the idea behind doing this is that it will dissociate your phone from Bell while the SIM card is out. Don't worry about have to be in the US to get a Verizon update pushed to you, as people as far out as India have received updates on their Verizon branded phones (that they imported or whatever.) Also try Link.

But if are comfortable with other means of updating, you'll be able to get something off Sachesi, or an autoloader. The former is a non-destructive updating technique, while autoloaders are destructive in that they wipe your phone. The good thing is that Z30 models are all the same to Sachesi/autoloaders i.e. you don't have to worry about which carrier's update you're getting, or Z30 model#, etc.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 07:06 AM
    Hey Raino, are you sure about this? I have two Z10s. Running factory unlocked on T-Mo and being pushed BBerry OS updates. T-Mo branded, with SIM in our out, getting pushed t-mo only OS updates. Plus there are plenty of people using Verizon phones (because they're cheap and unlocked) on other carriers and they get pushed the Verizon OS as well.
    raino likes this.
    09-04-15 09:51 AM
    Hey Raino, are you sure about this?
    Yeah, at best that wasn't worded properly and at worst, I was wrong. I'm leaning 70-30 towards being wrong, but not necessarily because of your personal examples:

Running factory unlocked on T-Mo and being pushed BBerry OS updates.
    An unbranded phone getting updates from BB. Sounds right.

T-Mo branded, with SIM in our out, getting pushed t-mo only OS updates.
    Your Z10's carrier of origin is TMO, and the SIM being used in it is TMO's. Carrier of origin is prioritized and you don't have a SIM that overrules it-->no 10.3.2 for this Z10.

Maybe this statement below answers both "how do I get an update through official means?" and the more complicated question "why don't I have an official update available:"

The carrier of origin is prioritized when it comes to update availability. However, if you are on a carrier that hasn't released an update but your SIM's carrier has, that too is good enough to get you the update.

Does that sound right?

This statement above addresses your TMO Z10 situation, as well as these examples below:

1. If you were to put an AT&T SIM card in your TMO branded Z10, you should see a 10.3.2 available. But until then, the phone "belongs to TMO." Phone's carrier of origin (TMO) hasn't released an update, but your SIM's carrier (in this case, AT&T) has-->you will see the 10.3.2.

2. Say you have a Verizon Z30 that you've been using on Bell. You should still see a 10.3.2 update on this Z30, because carrier origin is prioritized even though your SIM's carrier (in this case, Bell) hasn't pushed 10.3.2 out for this STA100-3 Z30 (and never will, for the Verizon model of a phone.) Now the questions are when, and how will you see this update because as the OP points out, it's not that easy--he's tried some very logical avenues and isn't seeing it.

There are examples where people as far out (from the US--where Verizon's home network is) as India have gotten updates on their Verizon phones, being used with local carrier SIMs. Thurask at one time hypothesized that Verizon has some kind of global telepathy going on that allows this, but I think it's not just Verizon--it's how BB pushes updates--by IMEI ranges which is what drives the carrier of origin prioritization. I guess it's also important to note at this point that the carrier never pushes the update out--it's always BB. The carrier may tell BB when to push it out for their branded phones (i.e. the IMEI ranges I think it's done by,) but the updates are on BB's servers and actually released by BB.

It's by no means a science--just some observations from reading threads and CB blog comments. I wish it was exact so that official update check methods would find something for the OP right away, or if he was really doing something wrong, we could tell him "try this and you'll find the update."
    scrannel likes this.
    09-04-15 01:26 PM