As Blackberry is letting BBOS die and I don't want to be a Google's slave nor spend lots of money for an Apple. I hate them both equally.

What are the alternatives? I've heard about Sailfish OS which looks ok and ubuntu phone which I'm not sure if it's still on.

Are there alternatives or are we doomed to the Google and Apple tyrany?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zocster; 10-22-16 at 03:06 PM.
    10-19-16 12:50 AM
    You're doomed if you want broad support. You can try Windows...
    10-19-16 12:57 AM
    There's not a second option unless you want a featured phone or one that's discontinued. Even Microsoft seems to be giving up on Windows 10. I sort of wish the NOKIA projects weren't buried by Microsoft when they took over
    10-19-16 01:21 AM
    Even Microsoft seems to be giving up on Windows 10 ...
    Isn't Microsoft working on project islandwood ?
    I doubt they wud hav invested in this project, unless they were planning a Surface phone.
    10-19-16 04:56 AM
    Windows is pushing out beta updates every week. I don't think they've given up.
    10-19-16 09:40 PM
    Yeah, but OS updates aren't everything. A big criticism from Windows phone users is that Android and iOS get updated Microsoft apps way before their own phone.
    10-19-16 10:04 PM
    Totally agree with you OP, I hate to give up on Blackberry, but I feel like they gave up on me first when they decided Android was the way to go

Anyway, I ordered a Lumia 650 yesterday, they are really reasonable @ 199 Canadian, unlocked. Figured it was worth a shot. From what I've been reading, they haven't given up on Windows Phone, but on Lumia. MS has Big plans for Windows phone, and I think they are really going to push it once Surface phones hit the market.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-19-16 10:48 PM
    And on BB10, we aren't getting the OS updates or the apps...
    10-19-16 10:50 PM
    Some people seem to think that Microsoft's tyranny is no better than Google's tyranny, but anyways...
    10-19-16 10:56 PM
    I thought BlackBerry whole point to moving to softwares was to focus on the BlackBerry os,being ported to Android and in turn, BlackBerry would continue software support on BlackBerry 10 devices so that they could refine their os before moving to Android.

BlackBerry 10 should still get support, especially if they are still selling devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 11:25 PM
    Totally agree with you OP, I hate to give up on Blackberry, but I feel like they gave up on me first when they decided Android was the way to go

Anyway, I ordered a Lumia 650 yesterday, they are really reasonable @ 199 Canadian, unlocked. Figured it was worth a shot. From what I've been reading, they haven't given up on Windows Phone, but on Lumia. MS has Big plans for Windows phone, and I think they are really going to push it once Surface phones hit the market.
    I've thought about "windoors" but the option was discarded since the gave for free the upgrade to windows 10 for even ilegal copies of any other version. Free OS? Come on... you are the product.

Basically, I want to keep my privacy. I don't want to give my personal data to any company that will make profit of it. I don't want to be tracked. People find normal that, without any previous configuration, their phone tells them that they're gonna loose their plane or get late to work. Google is collecting even your heartbeats

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 12:47 AM
    Basically, I want to keep my privacy. I don't want to give my personal data to any company that will make profit of it. I don't want to be tracked. People find normal that, without any previous configuration, their phone tells them that they're gonna loose their plane or get late to work. Google is collecting even your heartbeats
    Not much left other than two cans on a string...
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-20-16 01:34 AM
    Buy a used Nexus 5x or 6P lots of them at cheap prices on Swappa. Load CopperheadOS a secured Android fork onto it and use open source app store Fdroid for your apps.
    10-20-16 03:36 AM
    There is always the non smartphone option. It is not that bad.
    10-20-16 05:08 AM
    Yeah, but OS updates aren't everything. A big criticism from Windows phone users is that Android and iOS get updated Microsoft apps way before their own phone.
    That's absolutely true. That really is a complaint made by many, but my point was simply that the evidence is against the claim that Microsoft has given up on mobile. They clearly haven't. They are constantly updating the OS itself, and very frequently updating their mobile apps. Their long-term strategy is to merge mobile and laptop, so in the short term they're not doing much with mobile devices. But with respect to that long-term goal, they're probably ahead of Google, although Google may turn out to be more nimble. Microsoft is betting that we are approaching a tipping point, at which the handheld device (not necessarily a "smartphone" in the current sense) becomes the hub of each person's individual ecosystem, which includes the various cloud services that people use, and everything else is an extension of that hub.
    fanatical and TgeekB like this.
    10-20-16 11:03 AM
    Buy a used Nexus 5x or 6P lots of them at cheap prices on Swappa. Load CopperheadOS a secured Android fork onto it and use open source app store Fdroid for your apps.
    This is what I was looking for. As I understand, this is kind of what blackberry is trying to do but without any google related services (which is great).

I'll have a look, thank you!

Posted via CB10
    blackmass likes this.
    10-22-16 06:20 AM
    This is what I was looking for. As I understand, this is kind of what blackberry is trying to do but without any google related services (which is great).

I'll have a look, thank you!

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my thoughts.
    I wud rather hav blackberry do this and use their software on say any phone than try Copperhead.
    Hopefully blackberry will come up with a full fledged security & productivity software app that cud be installed on any phone, in a couple years. The key injection into the hardware part remains to seen.

Edit - an Android with the blackberry security & productivity apps along with a Blackberry developed GPS alternative, say Blackberry Mobile Services, that wud b the real phone.
    Last edited by blackmass; 10-22-16 at 08:17 AM.
    10-22-16 06:57 AM
    Too bad most developers have given up on Windows Mobile.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    10-22-16 07:00 AM
    Too bad most developers have given up on Windows Mobile.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    Mostly. The question is: Will they take an interest in Universal Windows apps going forward? Nobody knows yet, since Microsoft's Continuum vision is still in its infancy. But this is what is supposed to trickle down to mobile, as W10 laptops/tablets gain traction. It's all pretty quiet right now, but there are some glimmers. I honestly think it's all pretty iffy, but Microsoft does have a huge installed user base with W10 on laptops, and the strategy of working from that "downward" into mobile makes more sense that trying to break into mobile laterally, which they tried to do and failed. At least this way they're working from a base where they are already strong.
    10-22-16 01:35 PM
    Since the OP doesn't like Google or Apple business models, chances are you aren't going to like Microsoft's much either.
    10-22-16 02:30 PM
    Exactly my thoughts.
    I wud rather hav blackberry do this and use their software on say any phone than try Copperhead.
    Hopefully blackberry will come up with a full fledged security & productivity software app that cud be installed on any phone, in a couple years. The key injection into the hardware part remains to seen.

Edit - an Android with the blackberry security & productivity apps along with a Blackberry developed GPS alternative, say Blackberry Mobile Services, that wud b the real phone.
    Yes, my "needs" are not as much security related (encrypt drives, changing eth mac, dedicated user for an app...) but privacy related . i.e. if I click a link in a messenger service, I want to go to that link, not to a service that redirects to that link; i.e.2 if I am testing an internal site, I don't want chrome to send its data to google and get indexed!!)

Since the OP doesn't like Google or Apple business models, chances are you aren't going to like Microsoft's much either.
    You are right, I'm still with Windows 7 without plans to update to W10 for the same reasons I don't like google.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 04:12 PM