I just got a Blackberry Curve 8520 today and it's from AT&T but I go through Straight Talk, and I have a SIM card for the phone I have now (LG Aloha C710h) . I have been trying most of the day to get a signal but I can't. What do I do? Help me please!
    07-07-14 04:37 PM
    Talk to your carrier about that.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296
    07-07-14 04:39 PM
    They don't help very much about my question -.-
    07-07-14 05:15 PM
    They don't help very much about my question -.-
    You can try to pull the battery and put it back in. See if there's a bug somewhere. Are you sure you have the mobile network enabled?

It's been almost 5 years since I had the 8520. Does anyone know if a BlackBerry data plan is required for general reception? I kinda don't remember.
    07-07-14 05:19 PM
    I tried pulling the battery a few times but doesn't work and I do believe the network is enabled.

This is my first Blackberry also.
    07-07-14 05:21 PM
    I'm afraid that Straight Talk may not support BIS, which the 8520 requires. That's one of the risks of MVNO carriers.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 05:33 PM
    Krista, are you sure the 8520 is unlocked? If you can't even make a call or send text messages, the phone may not be unlocked. You'll need to get it unlocked to get it to recognize any non-AT&T SIM.
    07-07-14 05:58 PM
    I made sure it was an unlocked phone before I got it, if not I'll have to get it unlocked then.
    07-07-14 06:48 PM
    I made sure it was an unlocked phone before I got it, if not I'll have to get it unlocked then.
    Here's how you can figure out if your phone is unlocked. On your phone, go to Options, then Advanced Options, then SIM card, and type the letters mepd. You may not see anything on the screen while you're typing, and that's ok. Then you should see a list of five: SIM, Network, Network Subset, Service Provider, and Corporate. Network and Service Provider should read disabled or inactive--especially Network. If Network says active or enabled, your phone is still locked. Service Provider is a rarer type of a lock and I don't think AT&T does it.
    07-07-14 07:53 PM
    All five say disabled.
    07-07-14 09:23 PM
    OK. A couple of questions:

1. Do you have a SIM card for your Straight Talk service? If so, do you know which carrier's towers you are using? Straight Talk leases towers from AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon. If you have service through Sprint or Verizon, the 8520 won't work.

2. If you were using an AT&T or T-Mobile Straight Talk SIM card, did your LG phone ever show 2G, or was it always 3G? I'm wondering if Straight Talk has access to AT&T and TMO's 2G towers...
    07-07-14 09:44 PM
    1. Yes, but I don't know the carrier's towers

2. The LG had 2G
    07-07-14 09:53 PM
    Straight Talk only supports BlackBerry devices purchased from them. Check the disclaimer on their bring your own phone page:
    Welcome | Straight Talk
    07-08-14 08:11 AM
    The SIM Card is compatible with AT&T but both of my phones (old and new) are from AT&T. The Aloha (old) gets great service and with the Blackberry (new) it hardly has any service unless I let it sit then it will get a few seconds of service then its gone.

This phone is starting to make me really mad...
    07-08-14 03:37 PM
    If the "you can't use a BlackBerry unless you buy it from Straight Talk" is true, then you may be out of luck. But in my experience you should be able to at least make calls and send texts since this phone has 2G bands (only) and that's enough for calling and texting.
    07-08-14 04:43 PM