Dear CB-users,

I use two different email addresses. One from a free mail-service provider and one address provided by my university.

The first one works well on my BlackBerry10 device (Q10).
    The second one only receives mails on my BlackBerry - device. It is not possible to send mails. I've already tried to change the account settings for outgoing mails (in accordance to recommended settings by university) but didn't succeed.

Do you have any ideas what might be the cause for this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 04:31 AM
    Hello and welcome to CB

I hardly think it could be your phone's issue. You got to keep trying possibilities with smtp server, port number etc. It should eventually work
    Skyf_x likes this.
    08-20-14 04:53 AM
    Receiving end sending are different things with different protocols, different servers and different ports. This is the reason why receiving works and sending doesn't. For sending you need and SMTP server, for receiving an IMAP or POP3 server. The credentials and security settings for the SMTP server can be different from the IMAP or POP3 server - but normally at least the credentials are equal. For SMTP you should use port 25 (unencrypted) or port 465 (SSL encrypted) or 587 (TLS encrypted), note: some SMTP servers use none-standard ports, and not every SMTP server supports every encryption. If you use an older POP3 server for receiving it can happen that the (older) SMTP server requires a POP3 request just before sending. This is to guarantee better authentication. I don't know whether a BB does this. It is always a good idea to experiment with a PC mail client, Thunderbird or so, because you get better error messages. If you have this working you can move the settings onto your BB device.
    Skyf_x likes this.
    08-20-14 05:12 AM
    There is one tool by Blackberry called Email account validation tool.
    It will search email credentials on email exchange matrix.

Add your emaIL account on below shared link and try to validate SMTP ports.
    If the ports are validated then configure the email with same port numbers and email server address.

As you mentioned that you are unable to send email, this could be the issue at SMTP port side. Please get the port no : 25/587 or 465 from your email service provider side.
    Email Validation tool: http://www.blackberry.com/eavt2

for help contact me on BBM 24c42857
    menshawy and Skyf_x like this.
    08-20-14 05:41 AM
    Thanks very much for your effort!

I've already given smtp a try but couldn't fix the problem.

The recommended setting for smtp - with reference to the information provided by university - is port no. 587 and tls encryption. That was my setting before I applied the BlackBerry validation tool. The tool itself identified port no. 25 and ssl encryption. I validated these setting with the tool. But this didn't help either.

To sum up: I've tried the recommended settings as well as the validation tool. Both didn't work out. What could have gone wrong?

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:36 AM
    Additional info:

When trying to apply the new settings manually (port no. 25 and ssl encryption), I received the error message that the server can't be reached/doesn't respond.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:44 AM
    If your university provided email has a web interface, check the settings there might be option to enable or disable POP/IMAP
    08-20-14 07:54 AM
    Use ip instead of server name for out going site port and give a try.

Z10 stl 100-1
    08-20-14 08:06 AM
    The tool itself identified port no. 25 and ssl encryption. [...] What could have gone wrong?
    You probably won't have SSL on port 25. Never seen this. Use 465 for SSL regardless what the tool says. Another issue is: when the university says it is TLS then you don't need to try SSL anymore. BTW: you can probably use any other SMTP server (if you have credentials).
    08-20-14 08:09 AM
    If your university provided email has a web interface, check the settings there might be option to enable or disable POP/IMAP
    No options are given.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 08:21 AM
    You probably won't have SSL on port 25. Never seen this. Use 465 for SSL regardless what the tool says. Another issue is: when the university says it is TLS then you don't need to try SSL anymore. BTW: you can probably use any other SMTP server (if you have credentials).
    That's what the BlackBerry tool told me. I'm not into this field. So, all I can do is to do my utmost.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 08:23 AM
    Use ip instead of server name for out going site port and give a try.

Z10 stl 100-1
    How do I identify the ip of the server name? Thanks!

Moreover, I applied your recommendation to use a mail client on a desktop computer. It successfully uses the recommended settings to send and receive mails (587 and tls). So it is supposed to work on the BlackBerry device as well, isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 08:26 AM
    Moreover, I applied your recommendation to use a mail client on a desktop computer. It successfully uses the recommended settings to send and receive mails (587 and tls). So it is supposed to work on the BlackBerry device as well, isn't it?
    Good. GOOOOOD. Now we know what indeed is right. I suggest you set exactly that configuration data now on your BB and restart the Hub or reboot the entire device. As I saw in own experiments some settings are only evaluated when you restart.
    08-20-14 08:31 AM
    When u sending mail does it shows any error?
    Have u tried to configure on any old BlackBerry os device and checked?

Z10 stl 100-1
    08-20-14 09:33 AM
    In your BB os device when out going email fails, it shows the exact error for failure.
    So try to get the email configured on BB os device and try to send a mail. If email gets cross mark, open and scroll up and check the the error message,
    08-20-14 01:56 PM
    Just ping the smtp server to get the IP
    08-20-14 01:58 PM
    Good. GOOOOOD. Now we know what indeed is right. I suggest you set exactly that configuration data now on your BB and restart the Hub or reboot the entire device. As I saw in own experiments some settings are only evaluated when you restart.
    Unfortunately, I've already tried these settings with failure. This doesn't work out.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 10:21 AM
    In your BB os device when out going email fails, it shows the exact error for failure.
    So try to get the email configured on BB os device and try to send a mail. If email gets cross mark, open and scroll up and check the the error message,
    Thank you for the assistance! I'll give it a try as soon as I get my hands onto an old BlackBerry os device!

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 10:23 AM
    Just ping the smtp server to get the IP
    I'll get back to you as soon as I tried this out.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 10:25 AM
    Add me on BBM....i m using my BlackBerry os device as well

Z10 stl 100-1
    08-22-14 12:57 PM
    I've tried both proposals:

Applying the IP instead of the domain does not improve the situation.

So, I've set up an email account on a BlackBerry os device (pearl 9105). On this device the email account works properly! The mobile phone receives and sends emails. Yet, I can't find out which settings have been set up automatically by the setup tool. Only the incoming mail server is accessible.

Does anybody know how to get granted insight?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 08:26 AM