Tried to partial quote... didn't work. Most of the reason for hanging on is I stick my phones in my back pocket and do whatever I have to do. Lots of abuse. The smaller the phone the better. Have considered a flip phone but think I would miss the bb keyboard for texting. Have small hands and can't stand huge cases.

Would it be worth just trying to swap the vzw Sim to the KeyOne I have to see if it would work?? I know I had to contact H2O to get the multimedia messages working...
    You have nothing to lose for trying since your KEYone sounds like an unlocked version, correct? Your KEYone may not have all the same LTE bands as VZW KEYone so I don’t how accurate test would be. All USA Key2 LE are certified for VZW and so there’s only single version for testing on VZW network. Again, for now, swap out the SIM and give your KEYone try on VZW network....
    02-17-19 07:07 PM
    Sure glad this thread is still going. I got the KeyOne on my h2o to try dealing with the learning curve. I'm glad it hasn't been my daily driver though. For sure hanging on to BB10 till the last minute. Looked at the cell phone map and the bands that are being mentioned don't show on our closest tower. Wondering if it's already eliminated CDMA... the tower was destroyed and replace over a year ago from an ice storm.
    Well, the thread diverged for a bit, but it seems like we're back on track!

Trucker, let me know if you need any more help with your Classic. As has been mentioned elsewhere, despite the arguments of some it is known that they will continue to work (for at minimum the basic communication functions you use) into 2020.

A good way to test the bands would be to see if your Classic indicates it's getting LTE service where you want it. I can confirm CDMA is still working, but LTE on the necessary bands is worth checking.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-19 09:08 AM
    it is known that they will continue to work (for at minimum the basic communication functions you use) into 2020.
    Again, nothing is "known" just because they haven't explicitly stated otherwise. At best, one can say "as far as we know, it should continue to work".

As far as CDMA is concerned, the rule of thumb is that if you are in an area where there is no VoLTE service (CDMA only), you can expect not to receive service in the new year, as those areas will be switched to bands 2 and 5 - which BB10 do not have.
    02-18-19 09:14 AM
    Again, nothing is "known" just because they haven't explicitly stated otherwise. At best, one can say "as far as we know, it should continue to work".

As far as CDMA is concerned, the rule of thumb is that if you are in an area where there is no VoLTE service (CDMA only), you can expect not to receive service in the new year, as those areas will be switched to bands 2 and 5 - which BB10 do not have.
    And again, it is "known" that BB10 devices will continue to work because they have been tested without the use of any BBM infrastructure (which, again, we have no reason to believe will shut down other than Blackberry World). This is known through verifiable, tested, firsthand evidence.

As far as CDMA vs LTE is concerned, we already proved further up on this thread that all Verizon BB10 devices support the LTE bands which will still be in use in the new year.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-19 09:25 AM
    And again, it is "known" that BB10 devices will continue to work because they have been tested without the use of any BBM infrastructure (which, again, we have no reason to believe will shut down other than Blackberry World). This is known through verifiable, tested, firsthand evidence.

As far as CDMA vs LTE is concerned, we already proved further up on this thread that all Verizon BB10 devices support the LTE bands which will still be in use in the new year.

Posted via CB10
    No. Bands 4 and 13 are currently providing VoLTE coverage, but bands 2 and 5 are being reprovisioned to provide VoLTE coverage for areas currently only served by CDMA.

I will once again remind you about the BlackBerry server-side issue that caused widespread WiFi issues on BB10 devices back in 2014. Clewley himself was out in front of that one, and pushed for fairly quick action at BlackBerry. "This is top investigation for us at the moment and I'm driving the teams hard" - Clewley, June 4 2014.
    02-18-19 09:43 AM
    No. Bands 4 and 13 are currently providing VoLTE coverage, but bands 2 and 5 are being reprovisioned to provide VoLTE coverage for areas currently only served by CDMA.

I will once again remind you about the BlackBerry server-side issue that caused widespread WiFi issues on BB10 devices back in 2014. Clewley himself was out in front of that one, and pushed for fairly quick action at BlackBerry. "This is top investigation for us at the moment and I'm driving the teams hard" - Clewley, June 4 2014.
    That does not agree with what I've heard from Verizon technical support, but you are welcome to your opinion.

I have investigated the issue to which you refer and have yet to hear any satisfactory explanation for why an issue with Blackberry's servers could have affected wireless on individual devices. If you can point me to a technical explanation I'd be intellectually curious, but since whatever they claim to have happened was also said to have been addressed in a subsequent OS update it is no longer an issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-19 10:02 AM
    That does not agree with what I've heard from Verizon technical support, but you are welcome to your opinion.

I have investigated the issue to which you refer and have yet to hear any satisfactory explanation for why an issue with Blackberry's servers could have affected wireless on individual devices. If you can point me to a technical explanation I'd be intellectually curious, but since whatever they claim to have happened was also said to have been addressed in a subsequent OS update it is no longer an issue.

Posted via CB10
    I answered that question in the other thread.

When BB10 is connecting to WiFi, it (or at least used to) ping the BlackBerry server to confirm it was working. When the servers were down, the authentication failed, and the WiFi connection was refused "limited WiFi". When Clewley got the servers up and running again, WiFi began working on BB10 devices around the world again.

Whether this particular issue was actually addressed in a subsequent update or not, it simply shows that other little timebombs can be lying dormant too. That's why I prefer to say "I don't know", or "it should work" , instead of "it WILL work".
    02-18-19 10:11 AM

When BB10 is connecting to WiFi, it (or at least used to) ping the BlackBerry server to confirm it was working. When the servers were down, the authentication failed, and the WiFi connection was refused "limited WiFi". When Clewley got the servers up and running again, WiFi began working on BB10 devices around the world again.

Whether this particular issue was actually addressed in a subsequent update or not, it simply shows that other little timebombs can be lying dormant too. That's why I prefer to say "I don't know", or "it should work" , instead of "it WILL work".
    That is completely contradictory to how wireless works, but even assuming for the sake of argument that that was the case and occurred (I was using wireless on BB10 and had no issues during the time in question), there is no evidence, nor any technical explanation making remotely possible, any lack of functionality if one does not sign into a Blackberry ID. (And that is again assuming that BBID is turned off, despite the fact that we have no reason to believe that will occur.)

Your argument is similar to one that claims the Internet could stop working at any moment because DNS could completely crash. Is it possible? Sure, it's possible. Is it remotely likely? Not in the slightest.

The same applies to use of BB10 post 12/31/2019.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-19 10:44 AM

Your argument is similar to one that claims the Internet could stop working at any moment
    Sure. Exactly the same.

Except the WiFi thing actually happened.
    02-18-19 10:51 AM
    Sure. Exactly the same.

Except the WiFi thing actually happened.
    Gosh darn it you're right! Nothing has ever happened to DNS servers that took major parts of the Internet offline!

Oh wait...

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...attack-2016-10

Posted via CB10
    02-18-19 11:09 AM
    Help! I'm one of those that really didn't want to even try the KeyOne. My classic was giving me troubles not sending texts so I got another one. Started having troubles with it so switched to the Q10. It did great for quite a while then bricked a few days ago and I didn't have it back up recently. Went back to the last Classic but now it won't turn off the screen by pushing the button and the battery just didn't stay charged today.
    Sooo... I'm pretty sure Q10 is gone. Not sure if there's a way to fix the classics. What am going to get into trying to get another Q10 or Classic?? Are the latest updates ruining them?? Just want a Verizon phone that has a keyboard for texts and a decent phone.

Ideas? Thoughts? Really don't have the money to go buy a Verizon KeyOne and they're way too big to be my main phone. I'm pretty hard on them...
    BB10 is six feet in the dirt, ignore it. Should you want a Verizon BlackBerry your best bet is either the KEYone or the KEY2LE.
    02-18-19 11:15 AM
    Gosh darn it you're right! Nothing has ever happened to DNS servers that took major parts of the Internet offline!

Oh wait...

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...attack-2016-10

Posted via CB10
    Someone is around to fix that. Nice to have support, isn't it?

Nor is that an argument for choosing a mobile platform. Although my response is.
    Last edited by conite; 02-18-19 at 11:37 AM.
    02-18-19 11:18 AM
    I assume the "you" you are addressing is me?

Yes, I'm aware I'll have to transition eventually from BB10, and that I'll likely hate using Android. Learning curves aren't an issue, but missing conveniences like keyboard shortcuts I've come to depend on with BB10 is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Such is life!

I do look forward to being able to install a banking app or a coffee buying app. Right now I have to dismiss the "USE OUR APP AND GET REWARDS!" msgs I see a gajillion times a day.

Well. You are going to have to make a move sooner or later to a 'Droid or iPhone. BB10 is just on its way out. It is.

[snip]

Fair warning - you are likely to hate android at first. Basically you can make it do anything. But you also must make it do what you want. There is a steep learning curve.

That plan might work for you. Or you might prefer to go the cold turkey route. Either way, I submit you need to plan for the obsolescence of the much loved bb10.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    02-18-19 01:46 PM
    Someone is around to fix that. Nice to have support, isn't it?

Nor is that an argument for choosing a mobile platform. Although my response is.
    Considering your original response claimed that didn't happen, and I have been able to provide evidence of my assertion while you have yet to provide any official technical explanation from Blackberry Limited to explain a wildly unusual and apparently selective phenomenon, I think I'm on solid ground.
    02-18-19 02:08 PM
    I assume the "you" you are addressing is me?

Yes, I'm aware I'll have to transition eventually from BB10, and that I'll likely hate using Android. Learning curves aren't an issue, but missing conveniences like keyboard shortcuts I've come to depend on with BB10 is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Such is life!

I do look forward to being able to install a banking app or a coffee buying app. Right now I have to dismiss the "USE OUR APP AND GET REWARDS!" msgs I see a gajillion times a day.

Don't given in Ragbert! Stay with BB10 as long as you want!
    02-18-19 02:08 PM
    Addressing the small hands issue:
    Being able to use a fully-functioning smart phone with a pkb that actually fits into the palm of my hand has been a gift for many years, and I think giving that up to go Android will hurt more than any software annoyances. Even the Classic which I now use is a (literal) stretch for me to use one-handed, and the top-heavy balance of the larger screen, compared to the perfectly-sized and balanced Q10, puts a strain on my wrists. I'm sure that, had a Q10- or Bold-sized device with a pkb been released by BlackBerry or TCL with Android on it, I would have bought one immediately.

Yes, I know Android never was adapted for square screens, but my point is that, while phones have gotten bigger over the years, my hands have not. I don't see any smart phones addressing this because I'm in the minority- I get that. But it contributes to my disinclination to run out and spend several hundred dollars on a device I can't hold comfortably or securely, especially when I have a device that fits me perfectly already.

I wish cellphone bodies were like PCs. If you need to upgrade a piece of the internal hardware, you swap it out for something newer, faster, etc., without ditching the entire PC. If you don't like Windows, you can install Linux. With a phone, you can't say "I'd like Android (or your OS of choice) installed inside of this phone that I love, please!". Geez Louise, you can't even swap out batteries anymore. That would have been a great way for BlackBerry to give up manufacturing hardware, if the phone industry supported modular internal upgrades without throwing the bodies away. (I know... but I can dream...)

02-18-19 02:40 PM
    ROFL thank you for "permission" to make my own decisions! ;-)

Don't given in Ragbert! Stay with BB10 as long as you want!

02-18-19 02:42 PM
    ROFL thank you for "permission" to make my own decisions! ;-)

Just a little friendly urging/joke sir....I would never attempt to deprive you of your right to make whatever OS decisions you want! We BB10 folk are about freedom!
    02-18-19 02:46 PM
    Considering your original response claimed that didn't happen, and I have been able to provide evidence of my assertion while you have yet to provide any official technical explanation from Blackberry Limited to explain a wildly unusual and apparently selective phenomenon, I think I'm on solid ground.
    The entire Internet didn't come to a grinding halt despite DNS issues in some regions. Nor will it ever. Nor is it relevant to mobile platforms. Local issues will always exist on the Web. So what?

Are you saying that BlackBerry needs to provide a technical bulletin so you can believe in something that everyone acknowledged happened, including BlackBerry? You are becoming a zealot.

Our debate is not about platform preference, it is about your absolute certainty regarding the future viability of BB10 as a primary device.
    02-18-19 03:08 PM
    Addressing the small hands issue:
    Being able to use a fully-functioning smart phone with a pkb that actually fits into the palm of my hand has been a gift for many years, and I think giving that up to go Android will hurt more than any software annoyances. Even the Classic which I now use is a (literal) stretch for me to use one-handed, and the top-heavy balance of the larger screen, compared to the perfectly-sized and balanced Q10, puts a strain on my wrists. I'm sure that, had a Q10- or Bold-sized device with a pkb been released by BlackBerry or TCL with Android on it, I would have bought one immediately.

Yes, I know Android never was adapted for square screens, but my point is that, while phones have gotten bigger over the years, my hands have not. I don't see any smart phones addressing this because I'm in the minority- I get that. But it contributes to my disinclination to run out and spend several hundred dollars on a device I can't hold comfortably or securely, especially when I have a device that fits me perfectly already.

I wish cellphone bodies were like PCs. If you need to upgrade a piece of the internal hardware, you swap it out for something newer, faster, etc., without ditching the entire PC. If you don't like Windows, you can install Linux. With a phone, you can't say "I'd like Android (or your OS of choice) installed inside of this phone that I love, please!". Geez Louise, you can't even swap out batteries anymore. That would have been a great way for BlackBerry to give up manufacturing hardware, if the phone industry supported modular internal upgrades without throwing the bodies away. (I know... but I can dream...)

With these new phones hitting $1,500... think there ought to be some ability to extend the life of these devices more. But the reality is size just doesn't support modular components. But then, a Galaxy S10+ isn't going to really need much in the way of RAM or Storage upgrades for a long time. It's the software that really needs more than three years of updates.
    02-18-19 03:31 PM
    The entire Internet didn't come to a grinding halt despite DNS issues in some regions. Nor will it ever. Nor is it relevant to mobile platforms. Local issues will always exist on the Web. So what?

Are you saying that BlackBerry needs to provide a technical bulletin so you can believe in something that everyone acknowledged happened, including BlackBerry? You are becoming a zealot.

Our debate is not about platform preference, it is about your absolute certainty regarding the future viability of BB10 as a primary device.
    The entire Internet did not come to a griding halt, it's true. Nor did everyone's BB10 device stop working with WiFi during the incident you describe. However, given that it was apparently widespread enough to cause you concern, I'd say an equally unlikely event that took down major websites such as Amazon and Netflix is a good analogy to describe things that could happen but are extremely unlikely to.

I'm saying that I'd like to see a technical explanation for how an event that defies all logic and knowledge about how it occurred and the reasoning behind it. If the event in question were BBW going down, or BB Protect malfunctioning, that would be entirely different.

Our debate is certainly about someone's absolute certainty about the lack of future viability of BB10, which flies in the face of all available evidence.
    02-18-19 04:08 PM
    Well, the thread diverged for a bit, but it seems like we're back on track!

Trucker, let me know if you need any more help with your Classic. As has been mentioned elsewhere, despite the arguments of some it is known that they will continue to work (for at minimum the basic communication functions you use) into 2020.

A good way to test the bands would be to see if your Classic indicates it's getting LTE service where you want it. I can confirm CDMA is still working, but LTE on the necessary bands is worth checking.

Posted via CB10
    My classic appears to be receiving 4GLTE most places in my area. The sleep button started working too! The battery on it still bites though.
    02-19-19 12:24 AM
    You have nothing to lose for trying since your KEYone sounds like an unlocked version, correct? Your KEYone may not have all the same LTE bands as VZW KEYone so I don’t how accurate test would be. All USA Key2 LE are certified for VZW and so there’s only single version for testing on VZW network. Again, for now, swap out the SIM and give your KEYone try on VZW network....
    Sooo. I swapped the Sim card out of my classic into my bbb 100-1. It showed my Verizon number where it shows "my number" . A few times it popped up 4Glte in the signal area but it was only for a split second and I couldn't send a text or receive a call. I don't know if restarting the phone a couple times would have made it work and I didn't want to screw up the setting that let me use data on H2O.
    02-19-19 12:36 AM

I don't believe that is an issue....like that tv commercial "shingles doesn't care", wifi doesn't care if a blackberry server is down. However Wifi does care if the Domain Name Server/Service is incorrect or if it is down. And this my friends, is the fault of the Network Provider (internet provider Rogers/Bell/VerizonAt&t or whoever) , not BlackBerry - but it might have taken Blackberry to raise a stink about it. The only other scenario I can think of is if some NetOps dope or malfeasant type deliberately/accidentally blacklisted a whole range of ip addresses or routed them to a dead end, in effect refusing to honour/service requests from those ranges.....this would be along the lines of some same type of character blocking BlackBerry Browser requests, because it, specifically the website hypothetically: FruitoftheLoon Company's website server blocked requestees of that specific type.
    A major major corporation years ago (not RIM by the way) had similiar problems with internal wifi access because a newbie/poorly trained/sleep deprived or otherwise impaired network operations employee in a diffferent city royally screwed up the routing permission tables, It took a day or two to fix most of it. Lots of thumb twiddling categories for the time billing that week.

To this day that kind of limited access annoyance happens because of your internet provider or less so your local household router (maybe its hacked/DenialOfService etc), maybe because of failing hardware, or not, but not your cellphone provider (for other reasons). Don't know if the switching between cell and wifi for wifi calling could be problematic, but for straight wifi this shouldn't have been. Jamming or man-in-the-middle stuff, is not likely to be widespread...unless they got into some main trunk on the internet .

The chinese had alledgedly re-routed major parts of internet traffic in Europe and some parts of North America and other places some time ago to go through Chinese servers in the peoples republic)
    ..and there is this...
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/13/...-china-russia/
    02-19-19 02:25 AM
    I don't believe that is an issue....
    The existence of the issue doesn't require your belief. It had nothing to do with carriers. The issue was global.

https://www.blackberryempire.com/bla...-be-fixed-now/
    02-19-19 07:15 AM
96 1234