Help! I'm one of those that really didn't want to even try the KeyOne. My classic was giving me troubles not sending texts so I got another one. Started having troubles with it so switched to the Q10. It did great for quite a while then bricked a few days ago and I didn't have it back up recently. Went back to the last Classic but now it won't turn off the screen by pushing the button and the battery just didn't stay charged today.
    Sooo... I'm pretty sure Q10 is gone. Not sure if there's a way to fix the classics. What am going to get into trying to get another Q10 or Classic?? Are the latest updates ruining them?? Just want a Verizon phone that has a keyboard for texts and a decent phone.

Ideas? Thoughts? Really don't have the money to go buy a Verizon KeyOne and they're way too big to be my main phone. I'm pretty hard on them...
    02-14-19 09:27 PM
    Help! I'm one of those that really didn't want to even try the KeyOne. My classic was giving me troubles not sending texts so I got another one. Started having troubles with it so switched to the Q10. It did great for quite a while then bricked a few days ago and I didn't have it back up recently. Went back to the last Classic but now it won't turn off the screen by pushing the button and the battery just didn't stay charged today.
    Sooo... I'm pretty sure Q10 is gone. Not sure if there's a way to fix the classics. What am going to get into trying to get another Q10 or Classic?? Are the latest updates ruining them?? Just want a Verizon phone that has a keyboard for texts and a decent phone.

Ideas? Thoughts? Really don't have the money to go buy a Verizon KeyOne and they're way too big to be my main phone. I'm pretty hard on them...
    Only the KEY² LE is currently supported by Verizon.

It's a much better long-term solution than the essentially EOL BB10 devices.
    Sime0n_S likes this.
    02-14-19 09:45 PM

I'd say if you like the Classic trucker go ahead and pick up another (secondhand; they're relatively cheap). They're solid devices and the e-mail and texting functions are confirmed to be unaffected by the forthcoming shutdown of Blackberry World (or really any other Blackberry infrastructure, if it should be shut down).
    02-14-19 09:50 PM
    I'd say if you like the Classic trucker go ahead and pick up another (secondhand; they're relatively cheap). They're solid devices and the e-mail and texting functions are confirmed to be unaffected by the forthcoming shutdown of Blackberry World (or really any other Blackberry infrastructure, if it should be shut down).
    There are no longer any BB10 devices on Verizon's BYOD system.

There are also many reports of SIM swaps no longer working either.
    02-14-19 09:57 PM
    There are no longer any BB10 devices on Verizon's BYOD system.

There are also many reports of SIM swaps no longer working either.
    This is simply untrue. BB10 devices work perfectly on Verizon's BYOD system and I did a SIM swap just the other day, which also worked perfectly.
    02-14-19 09:59 PM
    This is simply untrue. BB10 devices work perfectly on Verizon's BYOD system and I did a SIM swap just the other day, which also worked perfectly.
    So that's what I did when the Q10 bricked. Big problem right now is not being able to put the classic to sleep. Phone calls are working fine. Texts so so. Appreciate all the thoughts so far.
    02-14-19 10:01 PM
    So that's what I did when the Q10 bricked. Big problem right now is not being able to put the classic to sleep. Phone calls are working fine. Texts so so. Appreciate all the thoughts so far.
    Isn't this the old Classic trucker? The one from which you switched to the Q10 originally?

If so I'd say it may just have issues with the power button at this point and you may want to look into buying an additional Classic secondhand. A quick eBay and Amazon search shows them going for between $50-$125 or so (varying levels of quality of course; you want to make sure you get a good one...)
    02-14-19 10:04 PM
    If used on GSM like AT&T or T-Mobile or I’d say ok if swapping out coverage from old to new BB10 CDMA on VZW network. BB10 and CDMA EOL issues ar part of problem. Truckers name and probable zip code in Texas panhandle suggest BB10 phones LTE and CDMA bands are probably going to be not sufficient in the VZW repurposed LTE retrofit going forward.......
    02-14-19 10:05 PM
    If used on GSM like AT&T or T-Mobile or I’d say ok if swapping out coverage from old to new BB10 CDMA on VZW network. BB10 and CDMA EOL issues ar part of problem. Truckers name and probable zip code in Texas panhandle suggest BB10 phones LTE and CDMA bands are probably going to be not sufficient in the VZW repurposed LTE retrofit going forward.......
    What LTE retrofit? VZW is shutting down CDMA, but since the Classic runs on LTE bands that will not be an issue. Granted if there is not LTE signal where trucker is there will be a problem, but assuming they are getting LTE signal now there would be no problem with the CDMA shutdown as it will not affect the Classic or any other BB10 device.
    02-14-19 10:08 PM
    I would just go for a KEY2 LE honestly, just slap a case and screen protector and you'll have a very reliable Verizon-compatible keyboard device that's actually up-to-date and with very good weight balance
    howarmat likes this.
    02-14-19 10:12 PM
    I'm not on Verizon, so I can't say first hand, but there are a number of threads here complaining that Verizon will no longer activate new BB10 devices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    02-14-19 10:13 PM
    I'm not on Verizon, so I can't say first hand, but there are a number of threads here complaining that Verizon will no longer activate new BB10 devices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Since I've had new BB10 devices activated by Verizon, I know that they'll do it. I'll keep any eye out for any such threads.
    02-14-19 10:15 PM
    Since I've had new BB10 devices activated by Verizon, I know that they'll do it. I'll keep any eye out for any such threads.
    So were these CDMA BB10 devices that you had activated, or GSM variants?
    02-14-19 10:19 PM
    What LTE retrofit? VZW is shutting down CDMA, but since the Classic runs on LTE bands that will not be an issue. Granted if there is not LTE signal where trucker is there will be a problem, but assuming they are getting LTE signal now there would be no problem with the CDMA shutdown as it will not affect the Classic or any other BB10 device.
    That’s been the problem .. while LTE has been repurposed on GSM with AT&T or CDMA on VZW, 5-6 year old devices haven’t made the switch flawlessly. I don’t understand why. Don’t the specific radios only cover frequencies or bands originally intended? Kind of like when phones from different global regions have some compatible bands just not all...
    02-14-19 10:21 PM
    So were these CDMA BB10 devices that you had activated, or GSM variants?
    They were LTE BB10 devices. All BB10 devices support LTE, which is not affected by the forthcoming CDMA shutdown. Verizon is admittedly a little stingy about activating devices that were not "officially" Verizon, but the Classic, Z10, and Z30 should all be no problem.
    02-14-19 10:21 PM
    They were LTE BB10 devices. All BB10 devices support LTE, which is not affected by the forthcoming CDMA shutdown. Verizon is admittedly a little stingy about activating devices that were not "officially" Verizon, but the Classic, Z10, and Z30 should all be no problem.
    I'm asking what specific variant(s) you were successfully able to activate new.
    02-14-19 10:22 PM
    That’s been the problem .. while LTE has been repurposed on GSM with AT&T or CDMA on VZW, 5-6 year old devices haven’t made the switch flawlessly. I don’t understand why. Don’t the specific radios only cover frequencies or bands originally intended? Kind of like when phones from different global regions have some compatible bands just not all...
    The specific radios only support certain frequencies/bands, true, but if the phone in question is one that the carrier in question has supported there is no LTE issue. Since we're talking about Verizon-branded BB10 devices all around, there should be no issue with the CDMA shutdown or any related situation.
    02-14-19 10:22 PM
    I'm asking what specific variant(s) you were successfully able to activate new.
    A Z30 and a Z10.
    02-14-19 10:23 PM
    A Z30 and a Z10.
    Not model. Variant.
    02-14-19 10:24 PM
    For instance, my Z30 operates LTE on T-MOBILE but only with AT&T in certain parts of the country. Southern California seems to have the right bands for AT&T LTE but in Florida I only get HSPA on my Z30 so coverage not as good and worse going forward if LTE bands remain missing.
    02-14-19 10:27 PM
    Not model. Variant.
    You want the specific STs? An STA100-3 and an STL100-4.
    02-14-19 10:28 PM
    For instance, my Z30 operates LTE on T-MOBILE but only with AT&T in certain parts of the country. Southern California seems to have the right bands for AT&T LTE but in Florida I only get HSPA on my Z30 so coverage not as good and worse going forward if LTE bands remain missing.
    Right, I understand. Obviously if there is only CDMA where trucker is that would be an issue. However, given the robustness of Verizon's LTE network I suspect that will not be a problem.
    02-14-19 10:29 PM
    You want the specific STs? An STA100-3 and an STL100-4.
    So band 13 by itself is sufficient for good Verizon VoLTE coverage?

The STA100-3 only has band 4 and 13.
    The STL100-4 only has band 13.
    02-14-19 10:32 PM
    Right, I understand. Obviously if there is only CDMA where trucker is that would be an issue. However, given the robustness of Verizon's LTE network I suspect that will not be a problem.
    This discussion has been both confusing and helpful! Right now my classic shows 4GLTE for a signal. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at signal issues lately. I carry a GSM KeyOne activated on H2O for a backup. There are places in our area that are good for one and not for the other. That said, I would just use the KeyOne but life gets confusing when I switch phone numbers and I can't handle any more confusion. So I've been using the KeyOne for most of my smart phone needs and keeping the old phones as my easy to use everyday call, text and some email phones. I've not contacted Verizon for an activation on at least the last 3 swaps so wondering if that's part of the issue.
    02-14-19 10:35 PM
    This discussion has been both confusing and helpful! Right now my classic shows 4GLTE for a signal. I haven't spent a lot of time looking at signal issues lately. I carry a GSM KeyOne activated on H2O for a backup. There are places in our area that are good for one and not for the other. That said, I would just use the KeyOne but life gets confusing when I switch phone numbers and I can't handle any more confusion. So I've been using the KeyOne for most of my smart phone needs and keeping the old phones as my easy to use everyday call, text and some email phones. I've not contacted Verizon for an activation on at least the last 3 swaps so wondering if that's part of the issue.
    I hear you on the confusing part trucker....unfortunately these threads tend to get diverted from their original topic to become discussions on other subjects.

Contacting Verizon for an activation, assuming the devices you have are activated (sounds like they are), will not affect your service or situation. If you buy a new Classic (fully new mind you, not pre-owned and thus previously activated) you might need to call them, but otherwise you can just do a SIM card swap and be totally good to go.

Don't let the technical discussions between conite/Chuck and I get you down!
    02-14-19 10:38 PM
96 123 ...