Was super excited about my Passport until I discovered I wasn't getting immediate email like on my 9780. I HAVE to have this feature for my business and if I can't I will return my Passport. I do not have an exchange srver and will not change everything to go through a paid Gmail account.

Any ways to get instant email?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 08:07 AM
    Its fast as any good mobile, sometimes due to coverage it may take longer, don't hurry up, wait and see,
    A hard reset might work

Helal
    01-02-15 08:23 AM
    Legacy devices required BES or BIS for data and had the extra benefit of BlackBerry's Push email.
    If you were on BES, it should be able to allow your Passport to be added, check with your IT.
    If you were on a standard BIS plan through your cell carrier, it may not be possible to have it activated to your Passport, check with your carrier.

Otherwise you can adjust the check-email refresh time period on your device to as low as 5 minutes.
    Hub/Settings/Email Accounts/Tap the email account you want to change/Edit Account/Scroll to the bottom to Sync Interval and choose the time from the drop down.

If you must have push email, but can't get the BIS plan moved to the Passport, I'm not sure how to proceed.

I had the same decision moving off my old 9850 to a Z30. It was a bitter pill to swallow, but I soon found the extra few minutes of wait was well worth the extras the BB10 device had.
    You can always force check for email or messages at anytime in the Hub by Refresh.
    01-02-15 08:27 AM
    Your Passport should be set to Push. My phone half the time beats my laptop with Outlook open as far as receiving messages.
    01-02-15 08:27 AM
    I would say e-mail delivery is immediate on my Z10. Have four separate mail account on the Z10, gmail, outlook.com, and two IMAP accounts from different providers. Sitting at my desk with phone on, Playbook tablet and computer all running its a crap shoot which might get it first, but generally shows up on all three within 10 seconds of each other. I would say more often than not, the Z10 gets it first.
    01-02-15 08:42 AM
    In my line of work I can lose a deal if I don't respond to an email in 5min. This sucks. I don't have BES. I'm on T Mobile. Didn't have to do anything to get BIS before. Just set up my email and BOOM, email just worked. Looks like I'm destined for the 9900.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 08:43 AM
    I use outlook.com on my Classic and email comes very quickly, even before my computer with Outlook
    01-02-15 08:47 AM
    I received emails instantly. No delays at all. On the passport too.

Via Passport and Q10
    01-02-15 08:50 AM
    I don't use outlook nor BES.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 08:53 AM
    In my line of work I can lose a deal if I don't respond to an email in 5min. This sucks. I don't have BES. I'm on T Mobile. Didn't have to do anything to get BIS before. Just set up my email and BOOM, email just worked. Looks like I'm destined for the 9900.

Posted via CB10
    Double check with T-Mobile to see if they can switch the BIS to your Passport.
    While BB10 devices do not require BIS/BES like legacy devices, they can still be used on them if the BIS/BES version will except them.
    01-02-15 08:54 AM
    If instant email is critical for your business needs, you might consider hosted exchange or a paid IMAP account. I use both and delivery is immediate.

Although if you don't want a paid solution, these options may not work.
    01-02-15 08:59 AM
    Exchange, gmail, and outlook emails are instant on my Z10
    01-02-15 09:28 AM
    I'm confused. From what I understand, Outlook doesn't matter, right? It's the servers from my email provider that determine the time it takes to get my email. Correct?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 09:30 AM
    My email arrives on my passport ahead of my desktop, currently have three email addresses
    01-02-15 09:33 AM
    I'm confused. From what I understand, Outlook doesn't matter, right? It's the servers from my email provider that determine the time it takes to get my email. Correct?

Posted via CB10
    I believe masterscarhead1 was referring to outlook.com, not outlook the email client.

I don't have email on any Exchange servers, but gmail and outlook.com emails show up right away, there is no delay.

Is your current email server POP3?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-02-15 09:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    In a very basic sense, there are two type of email retrieval:
    • One is a "standard" email, your email client checks the email server for new messages via manual command or a time interval set. If it detects a new message, it flags and may download the message.
    • The other is "push" email, the email server send a notification to your email client the moment a new email comes in, then your client responds by downloading it. This is your "instant" email and this is also how most Exchange servers are ran for email. As long as the email client is online, it will receive emails nearly instantly.

If you current email address ends in "blackberry.net" then you are on BlackBerry's BIS data/email plan, which uses push email.

Generally, push email systems are more expensive to operate, as they are constantly talking back and forth with the email clients, so they are generally a pay service. BIS is a pay service, as you pay the monthly fee for the plan.
    However, other push services are free and paid for by advertisements.

Others are mentioning that their Gmail comes in instantly.
    At one time you could trick Gmail into becoming a push email by setting it up as an Exchange account on your device.
    If it was set up as such, last year IIRC, then it will still work as such, but you can't set it up that way now nor move that setting to another device, at least as far as I know.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 01-02-15 at 09:53 AM.
    01-02-15 09:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    Who's your email provider? There is plenty of email provider out there that provide free push email.

You should seriously think of changing your provider if you don't... before it's too late. As a business owner, you should know that you should adapt quickly to new technologies or else your business will suffer. BIS will be gone soon, legacy Blackberry devices were the only ones that can "create" push email.

Now imagine with kind of risk you are exposing your business to if Blackberry goes under? Or if they discontinue BIS? Take my advice and switch to an email provider that offers push email! Outlook.com is a good one!
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    01-02-15 09:43 AM
    I get emails from outlook.com instantly. Forward your account there or something.
    01-02-15 09:45 AM
    OP: Here is what you need to do.

REPLACE you BIS address ([email protected]) with an address from outlook.com

I assume this is what you were previously doing: you have a email address with your own domain ([email protected]) and you instructed email to that address to be forwarded to the BIS address to appear instantly on the BlackBerry, as well as any other place you want it to go, and may have also used pop3 to get email on computers, other deivces etc.

NOW, you need to replace the push of BIS. Sign up for an account at outlook.com. Then, you forward your email to the outlook address you just created, which in turn pushes to your new BlackBerry (or any other device that will handle active sync). You can configure outlook.com to respond using your preferred return address (which may require that you tell it to use alternate SMTP servers, such as ones you have from another account). This way, no one sees that you have an outllook.com address or even knows outlook.com is involved.

You can also do this with Gmail, but they don't support Active Sync, only IMAP, which is still very fast.

You cannot sign up for BIS on BB10 devices.
    01-02-15 09:59 AM
    Who's your email provider? There is plenty of email provider out there that provide free push email.

You should seriously think of changing your provider if you don't... before it's too late. As a business owner, you should know that you should adapt quickly to new technologies or else your business will suffer. BIS will be gone soon, legacy Blackberry devices were the only ones that can "create" push email.

Now imagine with kind of risk you are exposing your business to if Blackberry goes under? Or if they discontinue BIS? Take my advice and switch to an email provider that offers push email! Outlook.com is a good one!
    Thanks, bobshine.
    Just to add to your suggestion on switching carriers, T-Mobile and BlackBerry flipped each other the proverbial bird earlier this year.
    So if any US carrier were to completely walkout on BlackBerrry, T-Mobile is closest to the door.
    01-02-15 10:02 AM
    You get instant new emails pushed to you even with free Gmail if you set it up correctly.

Now syncing email folders is a separate thing and is done at an interval only with IMAP.

If someone sends you a new email and it does not come to your device right away then something is not properly configured.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-02-15 10:03 AM
    Can I respond with different email addresses thru outlook.com?

Thanks for all the terrific, info. I think I need to address the email config rather than giving up the Passport. I love this device.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 10:06 AM
    Just to add that it is not the carrier, emails are instant on my TMo Passport - at least for Gmail accounts. Just checked by emailing two different accounts from each other from desktop and it took exactly 4 seconds from sending to my PP vibrating.
    01-02-15 10:23 AM
    Can I respond with different email addresses thru outlook.com?

Thanks for all the terrific, info. I think I need to address the email config rather than giving up the Passport. I love this device.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, of course. Same with Gmail. Both can be used completely behind the scenes and no one will know you are using it. The key for either is to configure them to use different SMTP server than it's own.

OTHERWISE....you will see something like "[email protected] on behalf of youractualadres(at)yourdomain.com" in the return address of emails that people recieve from you. The only way to beat this is to instruct those services to push out the emails using a different SMTP server (one you already had access to previously).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-02-15 10:29 AM
    Pretty much instant here but varies really, between my iPad, Nexus 5, PassPort and Laptop, pretty much at the same time or one after the other....
    01-02-15 10:35 AM
42 12