you are welcome .. I am not sure of those radio changes can help out or not but if you want to try them go ahead. FYI I also found that when the phone gets hot can be for any reason, either you are browsing the web, reading crackberry, watching you tube, making a video call. For the response i got from Blackberry support it will happen in any condition due to the metal frame, which will not absorb the heath .. don't worry about it // I am not worrying about it
    Yeah it always heats up a bit which is normal.
    I just noticed it is far less than on 799...faaaaaar less

Posted via CB10
    Aldo Rey Tongco likes this.
    09-13-15 12:09 PM
    Aldo, don't listen to anyone here.

The passport WILL always heat up in the top right corner when using heavily or even moderately. It's where the processor sits, and it's normal.

Things that can help cool it down:
    Turn off the screen
    Keep the brightness low
    Don't use android apps for a long time (big big big killer here)
    Close apps that you're not using
    Make sure you have no apps running in the background secretly, usually android apps.

If you have a battery drain, show us the 'battery' tab of your device monitor. The cpu tab is absolutely useless unless you are good at troubleshooting and look at each and every app separately.

Sometimes a reboot alone can help too, if you notice the phone is getting hot when you're NOT using it.
    09-13-15 02:28 PM
    Aldo, don't listen to anyone here.

The passport WILL always heat up in the top right corner when using heavily or even moderately. It's where the processor sits, and it's normal.

Things that can help cool it down:
    Turn off the screen
    Keep the brightness low
    Don't use android apps for a long time (big big big killer here)
    Close apps that you're not using
    Make sure you have no apps running in the background secretly, usually android apps.

If you have a battery drain, show us the 'battery' tab of your device monitor. The cpu tab is absolutely useless unless you are good at troubleshooting and look at each and every app separately.

Sometimes a reboot alone can help too, if you notice the phone is getting hot when you're NOT using it.
    For the 10000th time, yes it will always heat up a little but it is faaaaar less with 799 radio.
    I'm a really heavy user, tried al os versions with different radio's so i am sure there is a big difference

If you buy a smartphone, you buy it to use it...
    Not to dim the screen or lower your usage

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 04:48 PM
    For the 10000th time, yes it will always heat up a little but it is faaaaar less with 799 radio.
    I'm a really heavy user, tried al os versions with different radio's so i am sure there is a big difference

If you buy a smartphone, you buy it to use it...
    Not to dim the screen or lower your usage

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for the anecdote, but no one has ever proved changing your radio will reduce the heat. It may work for you, may not for others, and in general the phone doesn't get hot unless you are using it heavily, which the OP stated he was, which is normal.

Buy a smartphone to use it? That's weird iphone owners spend more time charging and that's a hell of a big sample that aren't using their smartphones lol.

The heating doesn't harm the device either, but just like a laptop or any device, it will get hot if it's processing. Your solution is not a real solution because it's not a real problem.
    09-13-15 06:07 PM
    I have found the following items can cause CPU usage/heat but most of this can be resolved because it isn't normal for long periods of time:
    - weak cell signal and/or wifi - phone struggles for a signal (what is your signal strength? Try moving phone closer to obtain better signal)
    - bad SD card or SD card with tons of files or corrupt filesystem (remove SD card from phone to see if issues clears up)
    - many headless apps running in the background - especially android ones
    - many email accounts on the device all sync'ing and indexing data usually for the first day or so after setting up after a wipe (system and PIM usage will be high CPU users until things "catch up" and "settle down"
    - apps - browser open with possibly multiple tabs with busy web pages (close the browser when you don't need it. Some websites will constantly refresh causing battery drain)
    - social media app settings - setting up social media apps to notify you of and check for updates too often can cause your battery to drain faster. Check twitter, Facebook, instgram settings and back these off if you can
    - screen brightness - dim the screen down on the passport or any amoled screen for that matter - 100% brightness which might be the default is usually overkill especially indoors and will drain the batter much faster
    - using GPS or navigation apps while charging - running a cpu/radio intensive app like BlackBerry maps while charging the device can cause the battery to become warm. However, ending the app and charging should allow the device to cool down within 5 mins.

Anything else, unless I am forgetting anything else obvious could mean something is wrong with the device and if a reboot or hard reset doesn't fix it, it may need to be wiped.

Typed from my AT&T passport
    Good morning Mulderler! Wow, those tips above were exhaustive and I like it. I agree with you, despite some being obvious I tend to overlook it. I'll do my best to make a better diagnosis. Thanks a lot my frieeend

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 06:49 PM
    Thank you for the anecdote, but no one has ever proved changing your radio will reduce the heat. It may work for you, may not for others, and in general the phone doesn't get hot unless you are using it heavily, which the OP stated he was, which is normal.

Buy a smartphone to use it? That's weird iphone owners spend more time charging and that's a hell of a big sample that aren't using their smartphones lol.

The heating doesn't harm the device either, but just like a laptop or any device, it will get hot if it's processing. Your solution is not a real solution because it's not a real problem.
    Good morning Mad mdx and Ruben! Please don't argue or fight huhu. I know you have different perspectives on this heating issue but i'll try your suggestions and i'll let you know how my phone's working so far. If the heating is indeed just normal then I think that would be fine especially that the Passport is a powerhouse phone. But I just worry in the long term if it could have any effects especially that the battery is non removable. But i'll try my best to make a careful diagnosis and really check where could I have gone wrong. I'm quite new to Passport so probably a few days to weeks of testing will give me a clearer picture of my usage and how the phone behaves.

Nevertheless I really really really find all your suggestions very helpful. It was so kind of thing you guys to make an effort typing long suggestions to help out a stranger like me :') I feel so loved hehe. But yes, please give me some time to test all that you have suggested. Any updates I will definitely let you know.

From the bottom of my heart...Super thank you my friends! ^_^

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-13-15 06:58 PM
    I think this is a great suggestion, let the phone go to idle then see what the CPU is doing after, so clever eh hehe. But for the wipe omg that sounds too harsh lol, let me try the former first. Thanks so much dear Jerry! ^_^

Posted via CB10
    +1

If by "brand new" you were speaking in hours/day and "settings" was creating your accounts (like mail, TW, FB) and those have a decent amount of contacts and messages, then I won't be surprised this heating only reflects a required large radio usage (plus CPU for storage, sorting, indexing and so on).
    Are you linked to a wifi ? This should reduce the heating V.S cellular only.
    I for one would let it settle for a while, plugged to the wall charger and under wifi (i.e: no sleep mode tonight, just turn notifications off). At first, don't try to trick it, just leave it time to settle and clean the house (say up to 2 or 3 days after any major change like OS upgrade or big account addition)

Remember, this is the addition of CPU/radio solicitation that will hammer them.
    But at the end of the day and foremost, your device is equipped with HW security that should prevent it to warm excessively, even if you can obviously feel it.

BTW: My experience with the SE confirms what you noted about the metallic frame, i.e a slightly warmer sensation. But the more you actually feel it, the more it is dissipated ... so that's mostly a good thing, I guess !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-14-15 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Sorry, many moohs and typos, multiple edits ...
    09-14-15 11:01 AM

I can attest that changing Radio files does 100% make a difference to battery life, call signal, phone getting hot due to excessive battery discharge, CPU going crazy, system working way to hard.
    I've tried every Radio file that's been Officially dropped and the ones that are included from 2339 and 2639 make my phone and plenty of other users phones work harder than they should. And with the lower Radio versions all of those symptoms are gone.
    Once you've tried it and tested it you can say what it does, until you have you shouldn't be throwing your opinion in like you know. Just saying. Try it before you knock it.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    RubenDM and Aldo Rey Tongco like this.
    09-14-15 11:17 AM
    I can attest that changing Radio files does 100% make a difference to battery life, call signal, phone getting hot due to excessive battery discharge, CPU going crazy, system working way to hard.
    I've tried every Radio file that's been Officially dropped and the ones that are included from 2339 and 2639 make my phone and plenty of other users phones work harder than they should. And with the lower Radio versions all of those symptoms are gone.
    Once you've tried it and tested it you can say what it does, until you have you shouldn't be throwing your opinion in like you know. Just saying. Try it before you knock it.

Exactly
    And if they don't believe it, there are many people on CB who changed to one of the lower radiofiles and gave the exact feedback as you mention

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 11:49 AM
    I got mine about two weeks ago and noticed the same problem of heating up on the top right corner. I contacted BlackBerry Support and this was their response.

"We would like to inform you that the increase in temperature of the device when used is normal. The top right corner of the device is the location of the Snapdragon 801 processor. Like any device that uses a processor (ex: laptops, desktops), it will heat up when used. The metal panels of the device does not absorb the heat. It is also a conductor. With this we will now close the ticket"

Of course I did not like their response but.. what can I do? Since then I purchased the Flex Shell and helps some how. I am a little disappointed with BlackBerry regarding this issue. However I like the looks and feel of the phone so I am willing to let this issue go and it is working.. enjoy your phone

Posted via CB10
    The Flex Shell (or any other case/cover) will simply hide the heat and prevent it being dissipated to the surrounding air. If your car is overheating you don't wrap the radiator in a blanket!

What you describe is perfectly normal. The processor generates heat when it works, and the more work it does the more heat it generates. The heat is passed to the surrounding components, including in this case a part of the metallic frame and body which is able to conduct heat away to the air. Designing metallic case components to be part of the cooling system is good engineering design and is nothing to worry about unless the case becomes too hot to touch.

The other major source of heat is the cellular radio transmitter. Depending how much signal is received at the ground station (tower for my US friends) the cell control system will instruct the mobile device to adjust its transmit power so a standard strength signal is received. The phone will respond by adjusting the output between minimum 1 milliWatt (good conditions), to maximum 1 Watt (poor conditions, distant tower), and heat generated in the transmitter will be proportionate to the output. That is why you will also see battery life reduced when you are using the phone in poor radio conditions. The major power usage in the radio side is generation of Watts of radio power and the heat generated by the transistors is directly linked to the RF output. It is unlikely that different radio software will make a significant difference to power output and heat generation unless there is a serious bug in the software - which is unlikely because these things should be tested externally for approval before release.
    09-14-15 11:56 AM
    It is unlikely that different radio software will make a significant difference to power output and heat generation unless there is a serious bug in the software - which is unlikely because these things should be tested externally for approval before release.
    I love it when people try to explain something, while at the same time trying to disprove something else that they haven't tried, and in the end use words like unlikely because they can't prove their point.

You are correct about the poor signal draining the battery, but there are other issues with the Radio versions besides just poor signal. The system will run high doing whatever it's doing. The CPU will also run high since the system is constantly doing something. The phone is hot... like too hot to be held which means the battery is running high... since the system is running high... and discharging at a rate 2 to 3 times faster then it should.

After having actually tried the other Radio files, I can tell you, as a fact, that it solves those issues. So why do we need speculation when others have reported exactly the same thing? Why do some people need to disagree when they haven't even tried it? Why confuse people with your opinions? We have a fix, one that doesn't need a full blown technical explanation, it just needs to work and it does.

09-14-15 12:11 PM
    Some android apps like Firefox can cause the phone to heat up pretty quick.
    09-14-15 03:23 PM
    I love it when people try to explain something, while at the same time trying to disprove something else that they haven't tried, and in the end use words like unlikely because they can't prove their point.

You are correct about the poor signal draining the battery, but there are other issues with the Radio versions besides just poor signal. The system will run high doing whatever it's doing. The CPU will also run high since the system is constantly doing something. The phone is hot... like too hot to be held which means the battery is running high... since the system is running high... and discharging at a rate 2 to 3 times faster then it should.

After having actually tried the other Radio files, I can tell you, as a fact, that it solves those issues. So why do we need speculation when others have reported exactly the same thing? Why do some people need to disagree when they haven't even tried it? Why confuse people with your opinions? We have a fix, one that doesn't need a full blown technical explanation, it just needs to work and it does.

Some people have a ton of bugs by simply updating their OS. There are too many variables when changing these system files that it would be foolish to claim they are effectively responsible for your problems. If your OFFICIAL OS is faulty, a reload would usually resolve your issue. If you're installing a leak or unapproved OS for your carrier, then that's a different story. Hence carrier testing...
    09-14-15 05:03 PM
    Some people have a ton of bugs by simply updating their OS. There are too many variables when changing these system files that it would be foolish to claim they are effectively responsible for your problems. If your OFFICIAL OS is faulty, a reload would usually resolve your issue. If you're installing a leak or unapproved OS for your carrier, then that's a different story. Hence carrier testing...
    Have you personally gone through each 10.3.2 official update and tested them all on your phone? Because I have. And I stand by what I said as that is what happened, through research and testing, not by my opinion.

09-14-15 05:25 PM
    Have you personally gone through each 10.3.2 official update and tested them all on your phone? Because I have. And I stand by what I said as that is what happened, through research and testing, not by my opinion.

It took me 7weeks to find the best combo, how long did it take for you?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 02:03 AM
    It took me 7weeks to find the best combo, how long did it take for you?

Posted via CB10
    About two weeks. The best combo I found was 2252 and 840 radio, but it didn't have the DT fix. 2639 and 799 radio is the second best combo for my Classic with the DT fix and battery life.

09-15-15 09:52 AM
    About two weeks. The best combo I found was 2252 and 840 radio, but it didn't have the DT fix. 2639 and 799 radio is the second best combo for my Classic with the DT fix and battery life.

2252 gave my issues with prox. Sensor but it indeed was a good one batterywise.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 09:54 AM

2252 Os with 2253 Radio was good battery some device and passport but don't work proximity, ligth sensor on passport.

For the Gsm Network best combo, 2639 Os with 799 Radio but not work nfc service.

I'm not use nfc service, no problem for me

Send via CB10 by BlackBerry Passport
    09-15-15 01:32 PM
    2252 Os with 2253 Radio was good battery some device and passport but don't work proximity, ligth sensor on passport.

For the Gsm Network best combo, 2639 Os with 799 Radio but not work nfc service.

I'm not use nfc service, no problem for me

To bad that the 2253 radio file itself isn't in the wild...
    I would test it cause that os gave amazing batterylife but yeah the prox. Sensor was killing me

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 02:01 PM
    I would test it cause that os gave amazing batterylife but yeah the prox. Sensor was killing me

Posted via CB10
    Yea you are right.

09-15-15 02:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can always extract with Sachesi.

09-15-15 02:58 PM
    You can always extract with Sachesi.

Now you have good idea's mate!
    I'll look for the os and extract it.
    But does that also mean that i'll have to load it on a device before i can extract it?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 03:38 PM
    It's already loaded on my pp.
    Let's see how it handles the heat

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 03:50 PM
48 12