My display/screen started flickering a few weeks ago. Happens most frequently when viewing sms texts and photos and entering text...
    My 2yr old Z30's DISPLAY IS FLICKERING-img_20151225_050309.png
    Attachment 385638
    Why is this happening and what can be done to fix it?

My Marvelous BlackBerry Z30
    12-25-15 08:14 AM
    Could be the OS version.
    12-25-15 08:17 AM
    Is this a common problem with my OS?

12-25-15 08:20 AM
    Not sure but I've seen similar complaints on here about the text and MMS screens.
    12-25-15 08:28 AM
    I don't believe it's a common problem on Z30 although it has been reported on some devices.
    If it occurs with specific functions it's more likely related to software or an app installation. Any recent installs?

As suggested update your OS and see if it resolves. There are more recent builds available to you.

If problem continues it could be a hardware issue e.g. screen, battery ??? But hopefully not. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    12-25-15 09:42 AM
    The flickering was happening daily and randomly, while using apps, viewing the Hub, composing/reading emails and texts, posting to social media etc. I've had one instance where while making a call, the screen flickered and then went black for over a minute. Crazy thing is after two weeks of dealing with the flickering screen it didn't do it at all yesterday or so far this morning.

12-30-15 12:22 PM
    Flickering while loading SMS's has been a fairly rare occurance on both my Z30 and my Z10's. It usually 'appears' to happen when it woken while doing some sort of shopkeeping in the background. I've never been able nail down the cause of it so far.
    12-30-15 04:32 PM
    Having the same issue, upon waking screen flickers, when the display goes to sleep, top 1/3 black, middle 1/3 darker, bottom 1/3 bright....while using the phone the display flickering mildly.....

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 07:51 PM
    Software Release 10.3.2.2474
    OS Version 10.3.2.2639
    Build ID 857461
    Cryptographic Kernel Version 5.6.2.44214
    WLan Version 1.1

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 07:57 PM
    Your screen may be failing.
    01-01-16 10:09 PM
    Having the same issue, upon waking screen flickers, when the display goes to sleep, top 1/3 black, middle 1/3 darker, bottom 1/3 bright....while using the phone the display flickering mildly.....

Posted via CB10
    I'm having some similar issues although it is random. During a recent phone call the screen stayed completely black for more than 45 seconds. The bottom third of the screen sometimes has a red color to it. I've used my device daily as a tablet and phone for an average of 5 hrs / day so I wouldn't be surprised if the flickering is due to wear and tear. I'm hoping my Z30 lasts at least another month as I'm waiting on Verizon's release of the PRIV as a replacement.

01-02-16 12:42 AM
    Your screen may be failing.
    Do you know if it's possible or what's involved cost wise to replace a Z30 screen?

01-02-16 12:47 AM
    Do you know if it's possible or what's involved cost wise to replace a Z30 screen?

It is possible to replace and if you are comfortable handling small tools and parts it's a relatively easy fix. See link...

Screen will set you back about $45- 60 US and are readily available on Amazon and EBAY. Any competent mobile repair shop should be able to replace it for no more than $50 if you aren't comfortable doing so.

Before you consider a replacement run the Display tests in BBVE in case it is a touch issue (unlikely) and do try OS reload or upgrade.

I have never had any flicker issues with my Z30 but I have with my PP and it was corrected with a reload of OS.

Keep your device backed up too just in case any other hardware issues are causing the flicker.

Posted via CB10
    lady of the lake likes this.
    01-02-16 01:20 AM

It's easy to do but if you have a Verizon one the screen is different so make sure you get the right screen.

I'd also make sure you can return it if it turns out it isn't the screen. Not sure if BBVE will test it enough to tell.
    01-02-16 08:17 AM
    It is possible to replace and if you are comfortable handling small tools and parts it's a relatively easy fix. See link...

Screen will set you back about $45- 60 US and are readily available on Amazon and EBAY. Any competent mobile repair shop should be able to replace it for no more than $50 if you aren't comfortable doing so.

Before you consider a replacement run the Display tests in BBVE in case it is a touch issue (unlikely) and do try OS reload or upgrade.

I have never had any flicker issues with my Z30 but I have with my PP and it was corrected with a reload of OS.

Keep your device backed up too just in case any other hardware issues are causing the flicker.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the link. It looks pretty straightforward. I did notice in the comments some had issues with antennas and mics after replacing their screens.

I completely forgot I've got insurance on my Z30 so I'm going to contact Verizon and see if the screen replacement is covered.

kbz1960 likes this.
    01-02-16 09:18 AM
    It's easy to do but if you have a Verizon one the screen is different so make sure you get the right screen.
    I just purchased the Verizon screen with the frame. It ran me $50 shipped off Ebay. The GSM (4G) version tends to run a little cheaper.
    STA100-3 (Verizon) or best offer.
    Replacement LCD Touch Digitizer Screen Assembly Frame for Blackberry Z30 | eBay

Etrade supply which seems to be recommended quite often.
    Search results for: 'z30' - ETrade Supply
    lady of the lake and kbz1960 like this.
    01-02-16 09:25 AM