Hello ,

I bought a Blackberry 9220 like 1-2 weeks ago and I have a problem with App World. I connected my device to Wi-Fi when I bought it, as a new Blackberry user I clicked on App World but it said "To continue using Blackberry App World, you must upgrade your current version." I downloaded the Blackberry Desktop Software and upgrade my current os version to OS 7.1 (because when I try to click on upgrade button it opens browser and says 404 not found). When I upgraded I tried to open App World again but it gave me same error. I called my operator support number and they said I must buy "Blackberry Internet Service" to use App World and other Blackberry apps but I don't know what does BIS means . If I'll buy BIS does it solve my problem?
    07-15-17 07:52 AM
    My 9900 can use App World over WiFi. Also, you should check with your carrier. Some, like T-Mobile, will add BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) at no cost.
    07-15-17 09:02 AM
    You don't have to upgrade the os, just the BlackBerry App World app itself. You can't get it from BlackBerry either; that site is gone. You don't need BIS either.

http://www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/#DocsToGo

Try this site instead. It has over-the-air updates for key bold 9900 apps, including app world.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    07-15-17 12:12 PM
    I think you do need BIS for the app to actually work.

BIS is the network BlackBerry created to run everything through with compression to reduce the data needed over the mobile network. While there are some things that can be done over wi-fi without it, a lot of the basic functions of the phone that uses a data connection do require it. Email and App World access, being the big things. It's similar to a VPN, but your carrier has to set you up on it so the service books can be sent to your phone to give you BIS access. So... it goes from your phone (compressed), through your carrier, then directly to the BlackBerry Network Operations Center, or NOC (decompressed there) then out to the web. And the reverse back to your phone. It's the reason web browsing on the old legacy phones were so darned slow - especially with anything media-heavy (trying to compress already compressed data caused a lot of latency issues).

That connections also gives you that little 4-dot BB logo next to the network type symbol.

If your carrier still offers BIS, you will need it to make the phone fully functional. However, there is a thread somewhere that supposedly gives you ways to work around not having BIS.

It also depends on where you are. Some U.S. carriers have dropped BIS. Some are set to drop it in the future. I think AT&T still offers it, but not much longer. T-Mobile may have already dropped it - or at least isn't making it available to be added anymore.

In the U.S. and Canada (mostly, I think), BIS was/is free - meaning, not an added fee on top of the data service fee itself - it simply needed to be activated. But, in the rest of the world, carriers charged extra for BIS. Some had really expensive extra fees, some not so much.
    07-15-17 12:37 PM
    I have a 9930, not on any plan. I was able to use wifi to get on app world and install apps from it without BIS, in USA.

I also have a 9900, but that uses BIS. However, I accessed the app world before BIS was set up.

Maybe it depends on the device. I can't say for the 9220.

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    07-15-17 01:52 PM
    I think you do need BIS for the app to actually work. ...
    I don't think so. The only issue I had using my Curve without BIS was email and I solved that by using the LogicMail app.
    07-15-17 02:25 PM

It also depends on where you are. Some U.S. carriers have dropped BIS. Some are set to drop it in the future. I think AT&T still offers it, but not much longer. T-Mobile may have already dropped it - or at least isn't making it available to be added anymore.
    Not true. T-Mobile just this week added BIS to my account.
    07-15-17 04:26 PM
    Not true. T-Mobile just this week added BIS to my account.
    Could be Sprint or Verizon then. Not really sure.

Joel
    07-15-17 04:35 PM