Hey guys, I have a couple questions for anyone with knowledge of the area and I'd appreciate any feedback. First off, I'm a Verizon subscriber here in the US, but will be moving to England for a couple of years. I have had my current phone number for a long time now and would very much like to keep it. What would be the best way to do this?

Secondly, any advice on carriers in the UK? I'd be moving to the Suffolk area (Lakenheath). And of course I'll be looking to keep the CrackBerry thing going with a blackberry passport probably (I have the z10 with verizon now).

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! Also general UK advice or best ways to keep in contact with US friends and family would be awesome as well

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 07:17 PM
    I have had my current phone number for a long time now and would very much like to keep it. What would be the best way to do this?
    There's no possible way for you to keep it unless of course you want to keep it active on a US account or activate some sort of forwarding system, which would likely end up with long distance charges or something. UK numbers don't even follow the same pattern as US ones.
    12-30-14 07:59 PM
    There's no possible way for you to keep it unless of course you want to keep it active on a US account.
    Thanks Bla1ze, though I probably should have worded my post differently. I expected to have to get a different UK number to use, however I was wondering if I could 'store' or save my US number? I will be moving back to the US after a couple years. Keeping a Verizon account active might be expensive I would guess.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 08:04 PM
    Thanks Bla1ze, though I probably should have worded my post differently. I expected to have to get a different UK number to use, however I was wondering if I could 'store' or save my US number? I will be moving back to the US after a couple years. Keeping a Verizon account active might be expensive I would guess.

Posted via CB10

Whether you're from US or Timbuktu. At the end, everything has a price.

I guess you have your number for many years and you are emotionally attached to it. If you wanna keep you gotta pay. Lets say you stay for 3 to 4 years. You can downgrade your monthly plan to the lowest price or transform it to prepaid. Then "pump" 200 to 400 bucks in advance. So they take 20 bucks (or what ever the condition you made) a month. It is important to have some money on it. Also call once in a time with that number to keep it active. It is possible.

And of course while in UK, you use a UK number.
    12-30-14 08:11 PM
    Well, looks like Google voice may be an option too. I'm not familiar with it but I'm looking into it for porting my number over.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 08:51 PM
    Just call verizon tell them you want to suspend service and they won't charge you but will keep your number active under your name.

Posted via CB10 | Q10
    viking87 likes this.
    12-30-14 09:32 PM
    12-30-14 09:33 PM
    What if you port the number to magicjack, use it in England if magicjack is supported there, when you move back port it from magicjack to new cellphone provider

Just make sure that once a number goes to magicjack that it can be moved out to another provider at a later date

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 09:50 PM