Hi all and Happy New Year!

Never posted before but I have been a BlackBerry owner of various devices since almost the very beginning. Having just seen the BBOS and BB10 discontinuance note (Blend etc. ending 2022/01/04) I've been spurred into sorting this out.

I have a 10 year old 9520 as my 'normal' phone on v5.0.0. Works fine, but now's the time to move. I'm probably going to sit on a bog standard modern Android for now.

The problem I have is that I would like to migrate all SMS (about 12,000) and MMS (about 100) if possible. Contacts and email (all the email accounts on the Storm have been terminated years ago and the handheld has the only copy of this remaining as it was the quickest way of searching the archive so to speak!) would be a bonus.

I have at my disposal to achieve this several new (unused!) Storm2's, a BB10 Passport (again unused but activated as I was going to migrate years ago), and copies of the various new and older editions of the BB desktop software plus access to Windows Vista, 7 and 10 PCs to run them on. I have also the target Android phone.

Looking through the forums I can see various attempts have been made at this, but all hit the buffers when transferring more than the original DB limit of 3,500 SMS. And, of course, many of these attempts took place in 2016, 2017 rather than now! (sites referenced in earlier threads such as the epicwindmill guide are gone).

Was there a way found to migrate SMS that still works today?

Thank you all!
    Chris.
    01-04-21 10:57 AM
    Better to keep up, than fall behind and have to play catchup.

It's sorta a hit and miss thing. Some have no issue, others might try multiple products and none work. Big databases that were never meant to be, can develop errors, and most backup/restore software can't handle errors too well. But I've seen some with even more messages, do it with no issue.

Give the BlackBerry Content Transfer for BBOS devices a try. I'd just select one item.... like SMS.

If that fails, then move on to the SMS Backup apps, save in an open format and then import them into your new app. If those fail, your usually going to need to trim your existing SMS messages to hopefully remove the ones causing the failure. Don't know of any utility to fix them....
    01-04-21 11:42 AM