Hi just a question.
    Doe's anyone have the may security update on their keyone.
    I'm still on April.
    Any help much appreciated
    Many thanks
    william
    05-15-17 12:18 PM
    I don't think any KEYone has it yet, no.
    05-15-17 03:04 PM
    Cool thanks
    05-15-17 03:07 PM
    Will be interesting as more devices make it into the mix. At one time I taught that this was a simple pass through type update, but from issues they have had with skipping a few months for certain devices... it seems that isn't the case.

With the DTEKS and PRIV on Android 6.0.1, Aurora on 7.0 and KEYone on 7.1.... that's going to make things busy. Add another five devices by the end of the year.... we will see how BlackBerry handles it all.
    05-15-17 03:11 PM
    Add another five devices by the end of the year.... we will see how BlackBerry handles it all.
    Yikes!
    05-15-17 03:14 PM
    Yikes!
    I assume TCL will do the two more they promised (having a hard time with one).
    Optiemus I would expect two from them.
    BB Merah Putih should put out one more.

I would "think" all of them would want one PKB and one VKB in their line up, under the BlackBerry brand.
    05-15-17 03:24 PM
    How long did BBRY promise security updates for the Priv?
    05-15-17 03:31 PM
    How long did BBRY promise security updates for the Priv?
    I don't think they ever mentioned it, and if they did, it's BlackBerry, so whatever duration they said is subject to change.
    05-15-17 04:53 PM
    Will be interesting as more devices make it into the mix. At one time I taught that this was a simple pass through type update, but from issues they have had with skipping a few months for certain devices... it seems that isn't the case.

With the DTEKS and PRIV on Android 6.0.1, Aurora on 7.0 and KEYone on 7.1.... that's going to make things busy. Add another five devices by the end of the year.... we will see how BlackBerry handles it all.
    Good reason for all blackdroid devices to be on the same os
    05-16-17 05:38 AM
    Good reason for all blackdroid devices to be on the same os
    Not really:

updates for KEYone and Aurora and Unknown Indian X = Revenue stream associated with licensing.

Updates for DTek50, DTek60 and Priv = Costs associated with a business you've left.

I'm guessing that the 50 and 60 get one OS update (maybe) but otherwise...
    05-16-17 06:18 AM
    Not really:

updates for KEYone and Aurora and Unknown Indian X = Revenue stream associated with licensing.

Updates for DTek50, DTek60 and Priv = Costs associated with a business you've left.

Yeah wouldn't hold my breath for priv update
    05-16-17 06:24 AM
    I could be wrong, and I have no confirmation for this, it's just a gut feeling.

But I don't think BlackBerry is actually doing any software for the Keyone or maybe any other devices.

I think it's up to TCL to do them, as well as the other partners. Blackberry may be only doing updates to the BB apps.

Just a gut feeling, I dunno...
    05-16-17 06:24 AM
    Not really:

All the blackdroids being on the same os means far less input for the update of all BlackBerry apps, not just the security patch.
    cgk likes this.
    05-16-17 06:28 AM
    I could be wrong, and I have no confirmation for this, it's just a gut feeling.

But I don't think BlackBerry is actually doing any software for the Keyone or maybe any other devices.

I think it's up to TCL to do them, as well as the other partners. Blackberry may be only doing updates to the BB apps.

Just a gut feeling, I dunno...

I will say it is strange that the KEYone was running 7.1 at Barcelona, and yet the Aurora only had 7.0 in April, and none of the legacy Android devices have gotten anything. If BlackBerry had been working on 7.0 for the last year or so, why is the Aurora the only device to get it? And now that 7.1 is "out", why hasn't the Aurora been updated?

This is what BlackBerry says is different...
    Bringing BlackBerry Security to Android

BlackBerry has applied its world-renowned security model to Android, including:

• BlackBerry’s Hardware Root of Trust, a unique manufacturing process that injects cryptographic keys into the device hardware, providing a secure foundation for the entire platform.
    • Verified Boot and Secure Bootchain, which uses the embedded keys to verify every layer of the device from hardware to OS to applications in order to make sure they haven’t been tampered with.
    • A hardened Linux kernel with numerous patches and configuration changes to improve security.
    • FIPS 140-2 compliant full disk encryption on by default to protect your privacy.
    • The BlackBerry Infrastructure, a secure distributed global network that transmits petabytes of encrypted data to and from the world’s most powerful leaders and professionals.
    • BES12, the leading Enterprise Mobility Management platform used by the world’s most powerful governments and corporations.
    But how much is something they created vs. a "configuration change" made possible by others... that's not totally clear. But it is possible that BlackBerry could provide the "details" of how to do it, and leave the doing of it up to the manufacturer's.

The real key to Android Security... is updates - both security patches and feature updates. Many new "security" features built into Nougat that improve or "patch" issues in Marshmallow... that montly security patches can't solve.

Bottom line... TCL is going to have a hard time convincing Enterprise that they will provide those needed feature updates , along with the security patches in a timely and continuing process. As we have already seen some breakdowns in the process with those legacy Android devices. It is going to take TIME to rebuild "trust" in the process. Which is why I'd think it would be in TCL favor to cover the cost of having the PRIV and DTEKS updated.
    cgk likes this.
    05-16-17 08:09 AM