Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I have a corporate phone on Verizon (S7).
    I was hoping to just pop the SIM card into Key2 and it would work.

First concern, if it will work at all w/o phone activation (company may not cooperate activating it). I've read some things like SMS may not.

Second concern, I almost always am on US Cellular network given where I live. The arrangement they have with Verizon, never allows LTE to work. At home I have very weak signal, and get 1X (2G?) connection.

I do have LTE coverage, although very weak one. I know that as I have a 4G US Cellular Router that works as backup to my DSL, but requires a directional antenna on the roof to work (router still shows no bars, but connection is surprisingly reliable)

Let's say it didn't work, or I gave up on Verizon (I really miss BB after two years with S7) and just got a US Cellular SIM, is LTE only phone going to be an issue living in the boonies?

I understand US Cellular has all same LTE bands that Verizon has.

Thanks,
    08-14-19 08:02 AM

First concern, if it will work at all w/o phone activation (company may not cooperate activating it). I've read some things like SMS may not.

Second concern, I almost always am on US Cellular network given where I live. The arrangement they have with Verizon, never allows LTE to work. At home I have very weak signal, and get 1X (2G?) connection.

I do have LTE coverage, although very weak one. I know that as I have a 4G US Cellular Router that works as backup to my DSL, but requires a directional antenna on the roof to work (router still shows no bars, but connection is surprisingly reliable)

Let's say it didn't work, or I gave up on Verizon (I really miss BB after two years with S7) and just got a US Cellular SIM, is LTE only phone going to be an issue living in the boonies?

Thanks,
    You have to have the SIM specifically provisioned for non-CDMA. If it is, then you can just pop it in.

If not, you will have to get a new SIM, and get them to activate it on a KEY² LE or other whitelisted CDMA-less device first (because they will probably not want to touch your KEY²).

CDMA will be gone within a year anyway.
    Last edited by conite; 08-14-19 at 12:06 PM.
    08-14-19 08:31 AM

Thanks,
    With Verizon shutting down their 3G network... soon, I'm not sure if you'll have a choice but to switch. Unless they install some newer long range LTE equipment before that happens in your area. It's a problem that many in more rural areas are facing...
    08-14-19 08:49 AM
    Is there another non-CDMA phone you recommend?
    And would current nano-SIM get "activated", or would I still require a new one.
    Read somewhere it's some profile change on Verizon end.

I think our company "standard" is iPhone7
    08-14-19 11:17 AM
    Is there another non-CDMA phone you recommend?
    And would current nano-SIM get "activated", or would I still require a new one.
    Read somewhere it's some profile change on Verizon end.

I think our company "standard" is iPhone7
    I understand it took a new SIM as well as special activation (in store or a call).

Another phone... with your signal issues, I might check to see how others that visit your home do with their signal.

There are sites that have tested many of the "main" phones to see which has best reception.... think last year one of the LG models came out really good. Apple and Samsung are pretty consistent these days as well.
    08-14-19 11:49 AM
    I have a whole house signal booster, but that don't boost anything 4G (WeBoost 3G-X), so everybody works off US Celluar. No other networks exist here. Verizon works of USC. Tmobile and ATT don't at all.

I will probably experiment with Blackberry, but what I am likely to find is that w/o CDMA it won't work well enough as a phone.

Couldn't find plans if US Cellular plans to shutdown CDMA. I hope not.
    08-14-19 12:54 PM
    I have a whole house signal booster, but that don't boost anything 4G (WeBoost 3G-X), so everybody works off US Celluar. No other networks exist here. Verizon works of USC. Tmobile and ATT don't at all.

I will probably experiment with Blackberry, but what I am likely to find is that w/o CDMA it won't work well enough as a phone.

Couldn't find plans if US Cellular plans to shutdown CDMA. I hope not.

No sure what you would experiment with?

KEY2 doesn't do CDMA 3G at all.... it's only an LTE phone on Verizon.

If you want to experiment, I'd find a CDMA KEYone.
    08-14-19 02:00 PM
    Thanks... Good call, ordered one to play with. Will report the results in a few weeks.

Suprisingly cost me more than Key2 would. Are CDMA phones are like diesel trucks with manual transmission--in demand, and they don't make them anymore?
    08-15-19 04:47 AM
    I don't know how "in demand" they are, but they definitely don't make them anymore. CDMA is really a 2G technology (it's used for phone calls only - data has always been separate bands and tech), and it's being retired in order to re-use those frequencies with LTE, which will be a much more efficient use of the limited spectrum. There's going to be a transition period, but eventually the frequencies used for CDMA today will be refarmed over to LTE, and you'll have LTE coverage in places where you had CDMA call coverage before. And all calls will really be using "data" (VoLTE) as there will be no dedicated phone frequencies as there used to be.

Bottom line: you may well lose call connectivity at home for some period of time (depending on when CDMA is shut down and when your local towers are refarmed), so you might want to make sure you have WiFi calling available, which will allow you to make and receive calls as long as you are connected to a WiFi/Internet connection.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-15-19 09:40 AM
    Got the keyone. It's awesome. It's fast. i can type w/o fixing typos all the time.
    the s7 is retired to a bedside reader and media player.

Sim card worked, even though I am roaming. I was most concerned about that.

As far as CDMA retireement goes, will deal with it when it goes away. suspect US cellular might not be a pioneer in being LTE only carrier, and the phone will work in LTE mode when necessary.
    Last edited by NetComrade; Yesterday at 07:00 AM.
    08-19-19 11:29 PM