Sadly I have to move on from Blackberry. Currently using a Leap and a Q10. I'm not tech savvy and am at a bit of a loss as to what to do now. A lot of lingo on here is out of my league so be simple if you can. I hate both Apple and Google which leaves me with no options? I'm considering to either buy a degoogled phone or try degoogling one myself. Is this realistic and doable?

Important things to me.
    1. Security and privacy.
    2. Phone signal reception. (I live in rural Manitoba)
    3. A workable web browser.
    4. A communications hub like Blackberry Hub.
    5. A phone that doesn't feel like I'm hauling a window pane around everywhere I go.

Things unimportant to me.
    1. 5G - I could care less. Probably never will have it way out here anyway.
    2. A camera for posting pictures in National Geographic. I'm not a photographer.
    3. Apps. Rarely use any.
    4. Maps. Handy once in a while but only used when I go on vacation. (I might go on a vacation again once Covid is over in 2043.)

All help offered is most appreciated.
    silent.one likes this.
    12-13-21 08:55 PM
    Sadly I have to move on from Blackberry. Currently using a Leap and a Q10. I'm not tech savvy and am at a bit of a loss as to what to do now. A lot of lingo on here is out of my league so be simple if you can. I hate both Apple and Google which leaves me with no options? I'm considering to either buy a degoogled phone or try degoogling one myself. Is this realistic and doable?

Important things to me.
    1. Security and privacy.
    2. Phone signal reception. (I live in rural Manitoba)
    3. A workable web browser.
    4. A communications hub like Blackberry Hub.
    5. A phone that doesn't feel like I'm hauling a window pane around everywhere I go.

Things unimportant to me.
    1. 5G - I could care less. Probably never will have it way out here anyway.
    2. A camera for posting pictures in National Geographic. I'm not a photographer.
    3. Apps. Rarely use any.
    4. Maps. Handy once in a while but only used when I go on vacation. (I might go on a vacation again once Covid is over in 2043.)

All help offered is most appreciated.
    What's the budget?

I would not buy a phone without 5G today. It's not about speed, it's about maintaining good reception as the 3G frequencies continue to be shut down.

If you want something (relatively) compact, maybe look at the Pixel 5a or iPhone 12 mini. Both can be had for under $750 and $800 CDN respectively.
    Last edited by conite; 12-13-21 at 10:03 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-13-21 09:10 PM
    What's the budget?

I would not buy a phone without 5G today. It's not about speed, it's about maintaining good reception as the 3G frequencies continue to be shut down.

If you want something (relatively) compact, maybe look at the Pixel 5a or iPhone 12 mini. Both can be had for under $750 and 800 CDN respectively.
    Pixel 5a? Compact? This a joke?

155mm tall is NOT compact.

The Pixel 5 is 144mm so that's closer to "compact".
    boogywstew likes this.
    12-13-21 09:26 PM
    Pixel 5a? Compact? This a joke?

155mm tall is NOT compact.

The Pixel 5 is 144mm so that's closer to "compact".
    I said relatively. Most screens are 6.5" to 6.7" now.

I'm only choosing from current 2021 available products for maximum support length - and only those from Google, Samsung, Nokia, or Apple (for security).
    Last edited by conite; 12-13-21 at 10:03 PM.
    12-13-21 09:27 PM
    My question is primarily about using a degoogled phone. From what I understand this is really the only way to true privacy.
    12-13-21 10:29 PM
    Should add I'm the OP of this thread. I told you I wasn't tech savvy!
    12-13-21 10:30 PM
    My question is primarily about using a degoogled phone. From what I understand this is really the only way to true privacy.
    If I were you, I would check out the following podcast to get a feel for what it's like to use a privacy focused "degoogled" Android phone:

The Privacy, Security, and OSINT Podcast
    Episode 221: Anonymous Mobile Devices
    Episode 232: Anonymous Phone Update 1
    Episode 233: Anonymous Phone Update 2 and 3

You can find them here: https://inteltechniques/podcast.html

Or you can find them on any major podcast platform

The author, Michael Bazzell, is a former FBI employee who focuses on LEGAL methods and reasons to secure one's privacy. He used to prefer iPhones but is now recommending the "Graphene" Android distribution, which would also be my recommendation as it receives reliable patches and seems professionally run. But there are also other options.

Here's a link to the Graphene OS site: https://grapheneos.org

Typically, to run a degoogled Android phone you'll need a combination of FDroid and the Aurora store to download Android apps and also imitate Google Play service as needed.

It's becoming pretty common to find great step by step directions for all aspects of using these devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-21 10:47 PM
    Then, ironically enough, the Pixel is your best bet. You can install CalyxOS, GrapheneOS, or LineageOS on it.

If you can find an older Pixel 4a 5G, that would work too, since you wouldn't be depending on Google for the updates.
    12-13-21 10:53 PM
    I said relatively. Most screens are 6.5" to 6.7" now.
    Most hands are...the same exact size now.

I don't see what's wrong with picking up last year's Pixels. Why boast about the 3-4 years of support if we're just gonna consider them "obsolete" (for buying purposes) a year in?
    boogywstew likes this.
    12-14-21 06:39 AM
    Most hands are...the same exact size now.

I don't see what's wrong with picking up last year's Pixels. Why boast about the 3-4 years of support if we're just gonna consider them "obsolete" (for buying purposes) a year in?
    Pre-Pixel 6 devices have 3 years of updates. Cutting that to 2 years seems a bad idea.
    12-14-21 06:42 AM
    To deGoogle.... you really need to be tech savvy, as that can get a little complicated to do safely. But Google isn't the bad guy some want to make them out to be.... you can use an Android phone with Google Apps, and protect your privacy, still be secure and compatible with today's world. Just takes some work.

In the end I always suggest buying a phone that your Carrier sells and supports, and asking friends and family what works best for them. But I agree you DO NEED 5G! You might not understand that today, but 5G is about much more than super fast speeds. You might not get mmWave 5G where you live, but you'll get the midband and lowband 5G that will likely become the backbone of cellular communications in a few years.
    boogywstew and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-14-21 07:48 AM

In the end I always suggest buying a phone that your Carrier sells and supports.
    Which greatly limits the amount of options to basically the usual two giants and maybe a bit of Google/Motorola on the side...
    boogywstew likes this.
    12-14-21 09:34 AM
    Which greatly limits the amount of options to basically the usual two giants and maybe a bit of Google/Motorola on the side...
    Which still leaves you with dozens of options, ensured regional compatibility, and the highest level of support.
    12-14-21 09:36 AM
    Oh dear! This is only giving more questions so far not less. I don't get the 5G thing. My Blackberry runs on 4G but I often switch it to 3G to get better reception. I almost always can pick up calls better on 3G so my impression has been that newer tech = poorer reception. Just like the best cell phone reception I've ever had was with the first one - a bag phone. Are they going to shut down 4G? Is that why I need 5G?

Why so much emphasis on "support"? I assume my Blackberries haven't had support for years and they seem to be just fine. (With the exception of a slowly deterriating browser.)

I agree with the statement that its best not to do a DIY degoogle if you're not tech savvy. I'm looking to buy one ready to go if possible. Has anyone heard of Rob Braxman? He sells degoogled phones. Is he credible?

Is a Motorola G7 a reasonable unit? Again, not needing something with high end specs.
    12-14-21 02:55 PM
    Which still leaves you with dozens of options, ensured regional compatibility, and the highest level of support.
    Yeah, "options"...

Like walking in to a dealership and having to choose between different colors of Corollas, Civics, Elantra, Sentras...
    boogywstew likes this.
    12-14-21 03:03 PM
    Oh dear! This is only giving more questions so far not less. I don't get the 5G thing. My Blackberry runs on 4G but I often switch it to 3G to get better reception. I almost always can pick up calls better on 3G so my impression has been that newer tech = poorer reception. Just like the best cell phone reception I've ever had was with the first one - a bag phone. Are they going to shut down 4G? Is that why I need 5G?

Why so much emphasis on "support"? I assume my Blackberries haven't had support for years and they seem to be just fine. (With the exception of a slowly deterriating browser.)

I agree with the statement that its best not to do a DIY degoogle if you're not tech savvy. I'm looking to buy one ready to go if possible. Has anyone heard of Rob Braxman? He sells degoogled phones. Is he credible?

Is a Motorola G7 a reasonable unit? Again, not needing something with high end specs.
    4G is going no where, but those lower frequency bands that allow 3G to do better inside buildings and in rural areas... .will now be used by 5G technology. I've already experienced 5G offering better coverage than 4G does... with 3G still active.

Moto is a division of Lenovo which is a Chinese ran company... that's a questionable option if security is a big concern.

Support with carriers - we are talking about mostly USA Carriers and how they sometimes don't fully support non-carrier sold devices. In Canada you might not have as much of an issue.... but do need to make sure any device you buy, has all the right 4G/5G bands for your carrier - buying from the carrier takes the leg work out of that issue.

Personally I wouldn't really want a de-Googled phone, as you would miss out on so much of the ecosystem. You can take steps to limit tracking and ads.... Use NetGuard on a Pixel 6 and watch a few "how to's" on limiting tracking and ads. And be selective when you install and setup apps... only give them limited permission.
    boogywstew likes this.
    12-14-21 03:16 PM
    Yeah, "options"...

Like walking in to a dealership and having to choose between different colors of Corollas, Civics, Elantra, Sentras...
    Most dealership around here have those sedans, plus a sports car and a truck option and several SUVs.... because that's what the market overall will buy (fewer and fewer of those sedans these days). Sorry if there weren't enough people willing to pay full price for a PKB phone in order to make it a viable option. Same thing happens all the time in the auto industry. still folks that would love to own a new full sized Crown Victoria. Police and Taxi companies still bemoan it end.... well they say that, but in the end I think SUVs are severing their needs better than expected. And as I mentioned those sedans are slowly fading away...
    boogywstew, pdr733 and ppeters914 like this.
    12-14-21 03:23 PM
    Most dealership around here have those sedans, plus a sports car and a truck option and several SUVs.... because that's what the market overall will buy (fewer and fewer of those sedans these days). Sorry if there weren't enough people willing to pay full price for a PKB phone in order to make it a viable option. Same thing happens all the time in the auto industry. still folks that would love to own a new full sized Crown Victoria. Police and Taxi companies still bemoan it end.... well they say that, but in the end I think SUVs are severing their needs better than expected. And as I mentioned those sedans are slowly fading away...
    Sedans aren't going anywhere. Not everyone wants an SUV. They're pricier and taller, not everyone wants to ride higher up.

If the mobile device market was anywhere near as diverse as the automobile market, we wouldn't be complaining about lack of true choice and that "everything is just another slab".

But here we are...You get AppleSung or SamApple, with a bit of Google/Moto/Sony seasoning, all with the same old form factor to choose from...just at different price points.

🥱
    boogywstew likes this.
    12-14-21 03:34 PM
    If the mobile device market was anywhere near as diverse as the automobile market, we wouldn't be complaining about lack of true choice and that "everything is just another slab".
    Who is doing the complaining? Not many.

Even when they were being offered, no one thought a pkb device was a real option anyway.
    Last edited by conite; 12-14-21 at 03:49 PM.
    12-14-21 03:38 PM
    Sedans aren't going anywhere. Not everyone wants an SUV. They're pricier and taller, not everyone wants to ride higher up.

But here we are...You get AppleSung or SamApple, with a bit of Google/Moto/Sony seasoning, all with the same old form factor to choose from...just at different price points.

������
    We are where the market drove us... demand has slipped for sedans and their numbers are greatly limited today, but yes still enough demand for some manufactures to keep them in their line ups. Demand for PKB phones just wasn't enough to make that a viable form factor..... for any OEM. Still shocked other markets don't have a PKB or two in them....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-14-21 03:47 PM
    That doesn't seem to matter to people who freely purchase the brands they choose to support 20-25 years into this exercise.
    pdr733 likes this.
    12-14-21 08:03 PM

������
    Sedans are going away from certain manufacturers already. More importantly, they're disappearing from driveways more and more. I walk around my street which is typical neighborhood of 40 residences. More than 50% of the vehicles are mid or large SUVs like my Excursion, Suburban, Expedition and 25% minimum are small or mid CUVs and SUVs like Equinox as well.

It's the same as PKBs were a few years ago. A few OEMs are making the lionshare and even those OEMs are shifting production. If consumers buy enough to make it worthwhile, they will continue, if not sedans will be like Oldsmobile and BlackBerry memories.
    12-14-21 08:25 PM

🥱
    Sedans are going away from certain manufacturers already. More importantly, they're disappearing from driveways more and more. I walk around my street which is typical neighborhood of 40 residences. More than 50% of the vehicles are mid or large SUVs like my Excursion, Suburban, Expedition and 25% minimum are small or mid CUVs and SUVs like Equinox as well.

It's the same as PKBs were a few years ago. A few OEMs are making the lionshare and even those OEMs are shifting production. If consumers buy enough to make it worthwhile, they will continue, if not sedans will be like Oldsmobile and BlackBerry memories.
    12-14-21 08:25 PM
    Sedans are going away from certain manufacturers already.
    Not every auto manufacturer is named Ford, you kno?
    12-14-21 08:42 PM
    Not every auto manufacturer is named Ford, you kno?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/b...t-sellers.html

"Sport utility vehicles outsold sedans two to one in 2019, just four years after surpassing them for the first time. This shift shows little sign of stopping."
    12-14-21 08:46 PM
64 123