Blackberry Key 2
    Model: BBE100-2
    Android version: 8.1.0

When I try to long press to type a capital letter, the letter is not capitalized. Instead the letter quickly repeats, just like on a PC keyboard.

I've looked hard to find some kind of setting that would control this, but can't seem to find one.

Long press to type capitals is the default Blackberry behaviour, right?

Currently I have to hold the shift key down with one hand and type the letter with the other, which is awkward.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Fred
    01-27-20 10:17 AM
    Blackberry Key 2
    Model: BBE100-2
    Android version: 8.1.0

When I try to long press to type a capital letter, the letter is not capitalized. Instead the letter quickly repeats, just like on a PC keyboard.

I've looked hard to find some kind of setting that would control this, but can't seem to find one.

Long press to type capitals is the default Blackberry behaviour, right?

Currently I have to hold the shift key down with one hand and type the letter with the other, which is awkward.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Fred
    If you have the Google Voice up on the screen, this will happen. Otherwise you'll get proper caps.
    01-27-20 11:31 AM
    Thanks so much for responding. I tried the following: create an edit field (by replying to an email). The Google Voice/Dictation screen opens. I close it (click on the "x" in the top right corner). Long key press does not capitalize but repeats letters. Have I followed the appropriate steps? Thanks for helping!
    01-27-20 11:40 AM
    Thanks so much for responding. I tried the following: create an edit field (by replying to an email). The Google Voice/Dictation screen opens. I close it (click on the "x" in the top right corner). Long key press does not capitalize but repeats letters. Have I followed the appropriate steps? Thanks for helping!
    Why is your Google Voice opening by itself?
    01-27-20 01:36 PM
    Is this not the default behaviour? It appears to be the default on my phone. The same thing happens if I open the Microsoft Word app. (However, if I click into the Google Search Bar, I get a popup that says "Google Voice Typing cannot be used for this field.")

I have looked in Settings >System>Languages and input>Keyboard Settings and it lists "Google voice typing - automatic". There is an option "+Manage keyboards", but when I follow this, I see only a single entry, "Google voice typing", and the option slider control. However, both are grayed out and the slider is unavailable (i.e. doesn't respond to touch). My phone is managed by our company IT department. Is it possible that there is a standard keyboard which has been removed and replaced with Google Voice? It doesn't appear that I am able to add some other keyboard than Google Voice.... I wonder if Google Voice is an app that I can remove.. hm... Thanks for sticking with me!!
    01-27-20 01:55 PM
    Is this not the default behaviour? It appears to be the default on my phone. The same thing happens if I open the Microsoft Word app. (However, if I click into the Google Search Bar, I get a popup that says "Google Voice Typing cannot be used for this field.")

I have looked in Settings >System>Languages and input>Keyboard Settings and it lists "Google voice typing - automatic". There is an option "+Manage keyboards", but when I follow this, I see only a single entry, "Google voice typing", and the option slider control. However, both are grayed out and the slider is unavailable (i.e. doesn't respond to touch). My phone is managed by our company IT department. Is it possible that there is a standard keyboard which has been removed and replaced with Google Voice? It doesn't appear that I am able to add some other keyboard than Google Voice.... I wonder if Google Voice is an app that I can remove.. hm... Thanks for sticking with me!!
    01-27-20 03:24 PM
    On my phone I only have "Google Voice typing", and I cannot add new keyboards or turn off "Google Voice typing". I suppose I will have to take it up with IT support and put in a ticket to see if they have restricted the use of this setting. Thanks for steering me to "Google Voice typing" as the likely source of my issues!
    01-27-20 03:30 PM
    IT doesn't know why my standard Blackberry keyboard has disappeared either. It is supposed to be there. So, they are thinking about it, but at this point it looks like I'm looking at a complete phone re-set...
    01-27-20 04:01 PM
    I think I have resolution. I found what I think is the standard Blackberry Keyboard app in the Play Store. I installed this and I can now long press for capitalization. I might be wrong but I think I may have fixed it... Thanks for your support and assistance!

Fred
    01-27-20 04:16 PM
    Talking about long press Is there any way we can change the keyboard settings and get the upper grey characters when we long press?
    01-28-20 08:55 AM
    Talking about long press Is there any way we can change the keyboard settings and get the upper grey characters when we long press?
    User the ALT button for grey symbols.
    Or use SYM for main keyboard on KEY2
    01-28-20 09:57 AM
    I think I have resolution. I found what I think is the standard Blackberry Keyboard app in the Play Store. I installed this and I can now long press for capitalization. I might be wrong but I think I may have fixed it... Thanks for your support and assistance!

Fred
    Why is Enpass under Keyboards?
    It is a clipboard manger type app, I had forgot about it's primary Password Manager Function. I did not know it has its on Keyboard Manger.

Something for me to look at. :-)

Thank you Fred and Conite.
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 01-28-20 at 10:32 AM.
    01-28-20 09:59 AM
    Why is Pass under Keyboards?
    It is a clipboard manger type app
    I think that's directed at me. Enpass is a password keeper and has its own keyboard for auto-filling. Although I personally don't use that feature. I use Google instead.
    Last edited by conite; 01-28-20 at 07:01 PM.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    01-28-20 10:05 AM