Anyone know if Assistant can read my texts, emails etc audibly?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 01:21 PM
    Yes. Feel free to look at Assistants's help for examples.

BlackBerry has amazing built in help. It amazes me people don't do a first pass before asking for spoon.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 02:19 PM
    Mike you are splendid lol. Do I need to rephrase my question? I am well aware of the Help. And I know what my BlackBerry is supposed to do. But the question is does anyone have luck getting Assistant to read their messages? If so then what could be wrong? I'm on Bell if that makes any difference

Posted via CB10
    blackguy07 likes this.
    02-27-15 07:34 PM
    Mike you are splendid lol. Do I need to rephrase my question? I am well aware of the Help. And I know what my BlackBerry is supposed to do. But the question is does anyone have luck getting Assistant to read their messages? If so then what could be wrong? I'm on Bell if that makes any difference

Posted via CB10
    Yes, yes you do need to rephrase it, obviously. You asked a yes or no question. I answered yes. I guess this annoyed me a little because I was on a tech call today, where I had to pull out every little bit of information from the person instead of the person just saying what the issue was and what was already tried. Could have made a 20 minute call into 2 minutes. It makes me not trust the person on the other end is giving me the truth, sometimes because they are lazy, stupid, or think they know better.

"can" means, "is it possible?". What your second post is saying, without proper detail, "I tried to get Assistant to read my emails, but it doesn't seem to work". Add in "this is what help said", and "this is what I said", and you'll get a much better response next time. Also including information about your OS or your email accounts might be helpful. How are we going to be able to suggest what you might be doing wrong when you don't tell us what you tried? Sometimes features break after working... or fixed after not working...

I just said, "Read my last text from Tara". It took it as "Read my last text from Tyra".

It still pulled up the correct SMS from Tara. It did not read it audibly. It said at the top the message can be read to me or I can reply or forward.
    I tried different variants of "read it", "read it to me", "read last message". It doesn't complain about what I said, its more like it ignored it and beeps (prompts) to say it again. It then changes the message at the top to say it can be replied or forwarded and doesn't mention reading it anymore.

So it seems you found a bug.

It might also be worth trying when on blutooth. They may have code that does different things based on the input method (blutooth might be considered 100% handsfree and voice just semi-handfree?).
    02-27-15 08:25 PM
    Yes, yes you do need to rephrase it, obviously. You asked a yes or no question. I answered yes. I guess this annoyed me a little because I was on a tech call today, where I had to pull out every little bit of information from the person instead of the person just saying what the issue was and what was already tried. Could have made a 20 minute call into 2 minutes. It makes me not trust the person on the other end is giving me the truth, sometimes because they are lazy, stupid, or think they know better.

"can" means, "is it possible?". What your second post is saying, without proper detail, "I tried to get Assistant to read my emails, but it doesn't seem to work". Add in "this is what help said", and "this is what I said", and you'll get a much better response next time. Also including information about your OS or your email accounts might be helpful. How are we going to be able to suggest what you might be doing wrong when you don't tell us what you tried? Sometimes features break after working... or fixed after not working...

I just said, "Read my last text from Tara". It took it as "Read my last text from Tyra".

It still pulled up the correct SMS from Tara. It did not read it audibly. It said at the top the message can be read to me or I can reply or forward.
    I tried different variants of "read it", "read it to me", "read last message". It doesn't complain about what I said, its more like it ignored it and beeps (prompts) to say it again. It then changes the message at the top to say it can be replied or forwarded and doesn't mention reading it anymore.

So it seems you found a bug.

It might also be worth trying when on blutooth. They may have code that does different things based on the input method (blutooth might be considered 100% handsfree and voice just semi-handfree?).
    I just tested it and it works for me both on or off Bluetooth. I followed your voice commands exactly and when given the choice to have it read to me, I just said 'read it'. In the car, I have also told it to delete the message after saying 'read my last email' it all works. (for me).

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243 O2 UK
    BCITMike likes this.
    02-28-15 01:34 AM
    I just tested it and it works for me both on or off Bluetooth. I followed your voice commands exactly and when given the choice to have it read to me, I just said 'read it'. In the car, I have also told it to delete the message after saying 'read my last email' it all works. (for me).

Tara texted you, too!

Z30/10.3.1.2267
    Last edited by BCITMike; 02-28-15 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Added version
    02-28-15 01:49 AM
    Tara texted you, too!

Z30/10.3.1.2267
    Lol, yeah, she's popular.

02-28-15 02:45 AM
    Thanks folks. My apologies for being that way. Really I appreciate your help. After connecting to my car on bluetooth and finding it works perfectly, I checked the settings again and found the voice response was set to bluetooth only. My other z10 was set to 'on' so I was confused at first but then found the media volume was right down. We win. Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    BCITMike likes this.
    02-28-15 10:56 AM
    Thanks folks. My apologies for being that way. Really I appreciate your help. After connecting to my car on bluetooth and finding it works perfectly, I checked the settings again and found the voice response was set to bluetooth only. My other z10 was set to 'on' so I was confused at first but then found the media volume was right down. We win. Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    For me it still does not work and all my settings are set properly. It does the same what BCITMike described, shows the last message - shows "the message can be read" - but not reading at all.
    Q10 - OS. 10.3.2.2226
    08-07-15 09:40 AM
    For me it still does not work and all my settings are set properly. It does the same what BCITMike described, shows the last message - shows "the message can be read" - but not reading at all.
    Q10 - OS. 10.3.2.2226
    Just tried it again, "Read last text message from Tara". It pulled up the text conversation, read out the date of the last message (which was sent by me), but did NOT read out the last message RECEIVED from her. It did not give me the option to read last message after that, reply, forward and read out the recipients.

They could do different things based on "with", "to" and "from", but obviously not smart enough implementation.

Buggy.
    08-07-15 04:02 PM