One of the things that we BB10 owners never had to understand was the concept of a "skin" on Android phones. But now that we've transitioned to the Android world, it's opened up a whole new range of possibilities.

The basic BB skin is pretty good, although I do have some issues with parts of it. I'd like to try some other skins, particularly the new Huawei one, which looks as businesslike as BB10 was. New skins of all sorts and from most phone manufacturers are available in the Google Play Store. So, the question is, can I install a non-BB skin to use as my front end on what is currently a DTEK50 (although I may upgrade the phone in the next year or so) ? Is there something in the actual phone design that prevents or will modify a different skin? And if I don't like it, how can I get back to my BB Android skin?

Thnaks for any responses,

Nigel
    02-08-19 01:49 AM
    Do you mean launchers? Some launchers are full of adware. I like using the BB launcher, with a Pixel icon pack, and some HD wallpapers, but its up to you to experiment and see what results you get.
    02-08-19 12:22 PM
    Hi Denise: Thanks for your response. No, I don't think I meant just the launcher, although I need to do more research on that. I was playing with a Huawei P20 in a phone store this week and found that some of the things I have to do, like for instance pulling up a contact info and changing a phone number, etc., were much easier with their version of Android even than with the BB version; as I said, it was more like the way it's done in BB10, with fewer steps, and more intuitively. I don't know whether the contact app is part of the launcher, or whether it's part of the Huawei skin, but that's the kind of thing I'd like to try on my DTEK50 - always assuming that, if there are problems, I can get back to my original BB skin!
    02-08-19 01:10 PM
    Hi Denise: Thanks for your response. No, I don't think I meant just the launcher, although I need to do more research on that. I was playing with a Huawei P20 in a phone store this week and found that some of the things I have to do, like for instance pulling up a contact info and changing a phone number, etc., were much easier with their version of Android even than with the BB version; as I said, it was more like the way it's done in BB10, with fewer steps, and more intuitively. I don't know whether the contact app is part of the launcher, or whether it's part of the Huawei skin, but that's the kind of thing I'd like to try on my DTEK50 - always assuming that, if there are problems, I can get back to my original BB skin!
    You are referring to Huawei's android skin called EMUI and no, you will not be able to install it on your DTEK50. It's a proprietory skin created only for Huawei and Honor devices. Some hate it because it tends to copy the Apple desktop experience in look and feel. Some love it I guess for the same reason. For what its worth, I share your opinion. I like it on my Huawei device.
    02-08-19 01:18 PM
    Hi brookie229: Quite correct, I was referring to EMUI. Thanks very much for the reply; it's unfortunate that I can't install it on a BB phone. As a newbie to Android, I was under the impression that there were lots of customisations that one could do, and I guess there are, but only in certain areas. Maybe I'll have to investigate getting a Huawei phone....although I love the Hub and a lot of the BB ecosystem, so that would be hard to walk away from. Hardest was coming away from BB10, on my Passport, but I have to say that the Android system on the DTEK is much quicker and of course there are lots more apps that I can use. Oh well, life goes on! Thanks again for your help.
    02-08-19 01:26 PM
    although I love the Hub and a lot of the BB ecosystem, so that would be hard to walk away from.
    The Hub and BlackBerry suite of apps can still be used on practically any newer android device and I had it on my P9 for awhile but have since removed it.
    02-08-19 01:33 PM
    Yes, I knew they could be used on non-BB phones - I had a couple of weeks with a Samsung Note 9 before selling it because it was too complex, and I had installed the BB launcher and suite on it. Just out of interest, why did you delete the BB suite?
    02-08-19 05:31 PM
    Just out of interest, why did you delete the BB suite?
    It was just not the experience that I have on my Passport and I'm ok with the default settings on my android device but ymmv.
    02-09-19 12:28 AM