Hey everyone. I know this has come up before & I've read up on it but can't seem to see a definitive answer. Is it software or hardware related? Would replacing the screen help or just be an exercise in frustration?

Here is what happened. I purchased a KeyOne second hand and it worked fine for about a year. But after receiving a crack on the screen the phone started to act as if it is being touched by unseen hands. Shuffling between apps, minimising apps, split screening, etc,etc. Sometimes very very rapidly! At the same time, the screen can be entirely unresponsive when trying to input anything such as opening the app drawer or going back a page, etc. Usually locking the phone or restarting it only helps for a short while. Have tried two factory resets & nothing has changed.

This all started as I said, after the screen got cracked (not even that bad a crack!) but however much I hypothesise that that is the cause, I'd like to be sure before paying for and taking the time to install, a new screen.

Have never had a phone of any OS or brand "flip out" like the KeyOne is doing, cracked screen or not.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-19 09:18 PM
    Hey everyone. I know this has come up before & I've read up on it but can't seem to see a definitive answer. Is it software or hardware related? Would replacing the screen help or just be an exercise in frustration?

Here is what happened. I purchased a KeyOne second hand and it worked fine for about a year. But after receiving a crack on the screen the phone started to act as if it is being touched by unseen hands. Shuffling between apps, minimising apps, split screening, etc,etc. Sometimes very very rapidly! At the same time, the screen can be entirely unresponsive when trying to input anything such as opening the app drawer or going back a page, etc. Usually locking the phone or restarting it only helps for a short while. Have tried two factory resets & nothing has changed.

This all started as I said, after the screen got cracked (not even that bad a crack!) but however much I hypothesise that that is the cause, I'd like to be sure before paying for and taking the time to install, a new screen.

Have never had a phone of any OS or brand "flip out" like the KeyOne is doing, cracked screen or not.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if the original "screen pop" issue could be adding to your problem or not? Is your KEYone the original SE and if so, what's the build date?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-19 09:34 PM
    Ah good question! Thanks.

My guess is it is a later build because I've poked it with a pry tool & so far it feels like it isn't going to come off easily. But that's just an impression & it could be wrong. Fwiw the back cover did come off rather neat & easily with just a bit of heat & prying; but I gather it's supposed to.

As for build date, opened the Traceability screen (*#2886#>Manu>Traceability) and the date does not appear. Just ********
    Would it make a difference if I put a SIM in the phone?

While there I also tried the Keyboard test & was able to observe the Back Home & Menu keys being activated although I was not touching them. Which explains the erratic behaviour I've seen. The Power Vol Up / Vol Dwn and every key of the actual Keyboard checked out fine, but Back Home & Menu failed as did Conv key (could that be because I have it disabled?)

I continued out of that & just now it kept glitching out, closing & opening the app drawer & cycling on & minimizing apps such as the Hub & camera, so it took a while to get into the About Phone part of the settings. From there:
    Serial number 1163847779
    IMEI 352948060100587
    IMEI SV 70
    Hardware Version 05
    Model BBB100-1

(Android version 8.1.0
    Build number ABY299
    Android security patch level 5 June 2019)

I will try to get the date again on the 2886 screen with SIM inserted, & come back here to report.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-03-19 08:12 AM
    Ah good question! Thanks.

My guess is it is a later build because I've poked it with a pry tool & so far it feels like it isn't going to come off easily. But that's just an impression & it could be wrong. Fwiw the back cover did come off rather neat & easily with just a bit of heat & prying; but I gather it's supposed to.

As for build date, opened the Traceability screen (*#2886#>Manu>Traceability) and the date does not appear. Just ********
    Would it make a difference if I put a SIM in the phone?

While there I also tried the Keyboard test & was able to observe the Back Home & Menu keys being activated although I was not touching them. Which explains the erratic behaviour I've seen. The Power Vol Up / Vol Dwn and every key of the actual Keyboard checked out fine, but Back Home & Menu failed as did Conv key (could that be because I have it disabled?)

I continued out of that & just now it kept glitching out, closing & opening the app drawer & cycling on & minimizing apps such as the Hub & camera, so it took a while to get into the About Phone part of the settings. From there:
    Serial number 1163847779
    IMEI 352948060100587
    IMEI SV 70
    Hardware Version 05
    Model BBB100-1

(Android version 8.1.0
    Build number ABY299
    Android security patch level 5 June 2019)

I will try to get the date again on the 2886 screen with SIM inserted, & come back here to report.

@yamahammer , lately you’ve been mister PKB man, any thoughts??
    10-03-19 08:25 AM
    @yamahammer , lately you’ve been mister PKB man, any thoughts??
    Plenty! A surfeit of thoughts on that matter but I'll keep it brief.

I will always prefer a PKB to a VKB. That said, I have owned & operated various VKB phones & my current one is an Apple 8Plus. It might seem odd at first glance but I prefer the "swype" form of "typing" when it comes to using a VKB. I think that's actually entirely consistent (If you think about it carefully) with my preference for a physical set of keys! So glad that Apple finally got with that tech in iOS 13.

The KEYone is all right, but I'd have to rate it slightly lower than my 9320! In fact, the keys have about the same feel, a bit too stiff, a bit too plasticky, etc. However because the phone is a hybrid & the pairing of physical keys with Android is a bit clumsy (example: How do you dial a phone number on a KEYone?) I have to rate it lower than my Curve.

The best physical keyboards, IMO:

1. IBM Selectric
    2. Antique Underwood
    3. IBM Model M
    4. BlackBerry Bold 9900
    aka "Agent 99"
    4. BlackBerry Q20 aka Classic

Honourable mention to a Samsung slider I cannot even recall the name of

10-03-19 09:13 AM
    Anyway back to the K1 problem it really does seem to be centred around the three capacitive buttons above the keyboard so not sure what to make of that

10-03-19 09:57 AM
    Anyway back to the K1 problem it really does seem to be centred around the three capacitive buttons above the keyboard so not sure what to make of that

I'd suggest that it is your screen/digitizer that is at fault. The keyboard should not be of any concern. Since the current screen needs to be replaced anyway because of the crack I suggest purchasing the following (good seller, fast shipping):

https://www.etradesupply.com/blackbe...o-grade-s.html

No need to worry damaging the old screen, you'll be throwing it out anyway! Go ahead and order the screen and I'll follow up with my best advise on replacing it in the next day or so.
    10-03-19 09:37 PM
    OK thanks Yamahammer, that was the conclusion I was going ahead with as well. Will order screen & hope that does the trick.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 07:56 AM
    OK thanks Yamahammer, that was the conclusion I was going ahead with as well. Will order screen & hope that does the trick.

Posted via CB10
    You are in good hands for task at hand. Good luck... Thanks @yamahammer

We know it’s well beyond my abilities
    10-04-19 01:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    As you will see in the video below, a complete disassembly is not required.

1- Remove the back cover

2- Disconnect the battery and loosen up the bracket holding the screen connector in place so that you can disconnect it.

3 - Flip the phone and while in your hands apply just a bit of force with your thumbs on the battery and index fingers on the top front and bottom. This slight twist/flex will open up a little gap under the screen to slip in a pry tool (guitar pick,etc.) then start removing the screen.

4 - Prepare the mid frame for the new screen by placing double sided tape (very thin tape, thickness is about that of onion paper). Do not try use thicker double sided tape as the screen wont sit properly and you'll end up having to rip out the replacement screen....don't want to do that!!

5 - Pass the screen cable through the slit in the mid frame and carefully line up the screen and drop into place. Apply pressure on the screen to make sure you have good adhesion, and you're good to reconnect the screen cable and battery and replace back cover.

*Note I've done a couple of screen replacements and I personally did not use any glue. The video is just to help you identify the parts.. Good luck!

10-04-19 02:44 PM
    This is most excellently excellent. Thank you kindly for taking the time to quite literally spell it all out.

I actually have the back cover off already. Kind of figured it out serendipitously. So I can already see a lot of what you are referring too.

Something odd: The two screws that secure the connector on the end of the battery ribbon are absent! I checked all around my work surface etc to see if maybe they had just been loose & fell away when I popped the back cover off. No sign of the wee things.

The connector seems to hold its own once pressed into place anyway & there is also sticky stuff holding the battery. So guess I'm not overly concerned.

As for the screen & tools, I tend to use 60 mm (or thinner) guitar picks for my electrics. But I may have a couple of thicker ones for playing acoustic so I'll check around.

Will update as things progress

Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 05:44 PM
    LOL I sound like I'm ready to get to work & finish the thing anytime now! Am putting the KEYone safely away until the Post Office delivers my replacement screen.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 05:50 PM
    This is most excellently excellent. Thank you kindly for taking the time to quite literally spell it all out.

I actually have the back cover off already. Kind of figured it out serendipitously. So I can already see a lot of what you are referring too.

Something odd: The two screws that secure the connector on the end of the battery ribbon are absent! I checked all around my work surface etc to see if maybe they had just been loose & fell away when I popped the back cover off. No sign of the wee things.

The connector seems to hold its own once pressed into place anyway & there is also sticky stuff holding the battery. So guess I'm not overly concerned.

As for the screen & tools, I tend to use 60 mm (or thinner) guitar picks for my electrics. But I may have a couple of thicker ones for playing acoustic so I'll check around.

Will update as things progress

Posted via CB10
    My best guess is that the first owner must have done some work on the phone and never reinstalled those two screws. Carry on and let us know the end result in its eventuality!
    10-04-19 05:54 PM
    You are in good hands for task at hand. Good luck... Thanks @yamahammer

We know it’s well beyond my abilities
    Well it's ultimately a thanks to CBK. I traded a ring of sausage for 3 busted Keyones that he had used in the throw at the wall tests way back when! Thanks CBK!
    10-04-19 11:42 PM
    LOL great story! So well, thanks to you Yamahammer, CBK, Finley & anyone in this thread I might've forgotten.
    I'm thinking I'm going to order a toolkit-- & also wondering whether to invest in a new battery? I mean seems to make sense to change the battery while I have it open anyroads.

Thing is I'm wondering if it's worth putting all this time & effort into a device I don't use all that much & that is pretty much moribund. And moribund might I add -- in a way that would seem to me to be more open to security issues than my Q20 here, or my 99. After all, "no one" is devising hacks or viruses for BB10 or BBOS(?). But Android phones are the biggest consumer tech target on the planet.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. It's good to be wrong.

So another way to look at it is, I'd like to have the experience of repairing the KEY, and it's basically ready for the recycle bin the way it is, so why not? Only other phones I've ever repaired are my old Samsung, an iPhone 4, and of course various BBOS devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-19 10:40 AM
    LOL great story! So well, thanks to you Yamahammer, CBK, Finley & anyone in this thread I might've forgotten.
    I'm thinking I'm going to order a toolkit-- & also wondering whether to invest in a new battery? I mean seems to make sense to change the battery while I have it open anyroads.

Thing is I'm wondering if it's worth putting all this time & effort into a device I don't use all that much & that is pretty much moribund. And moribund might I add -- in a way that would seem to me to be more open to security issues than my Q20 here, or my 99. After all, "no one" is devising hacks or viruses for BB10 or BBOS(?). But Android phones are the biggest consumer tech target on the planet.

So another way to look at it is, I'd like to have the experience of repairing the KEY, and it's basically ready for the recycle bin the way it is, so why not? Only other phones I've ever repaired are my old Samsung, an iPhone 4, and of course various BBOS devices.

Posted via CB10
    If you can see sticky stuff around the battery, it sounds to me that the first owner has already changed the battery! Do me a favour and post a photo of the back of the phone with the back cover off of course ;-)
    10-05-19 07:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just Do It !!!!

Thinking I should trademark saying that or something.
    10-05-19 07:22 PM
    Hah! I have an old 1970s or 1980s pin on a yard jacket that says "Let's do it!"

Posted via CB10
    10-06-19 08:44 AM
    If you can see sticky stuff around the battery, it sounds to me that the first owner has already changed the battery! Do me a favour and post a photo of the back of the phone with the back cover off of course ;-)
    No sticky stuff around just underneath (thin lines of tape). But i'll take a couple of photos. Have been feeling unwell, nursing some kind of pathogen, but when I feel a bit improved I'll get to it & post them here.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-19 08:47 AM
    Couple of pics. Still dealing with this virus or bug. Blargh
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone flipping out!?-p_20191007_143632_edit_edit.jpg   KEYone flipping out!?-p_20191007_143355_1_1_edit.jpg  
    10-07-19 03:06 PM
    Couple of pics. Still dealing with this virus or bug. Blargh
    Ok, what I see is that the battery is the original, but the original owner must have broken the screen and bought the replacement LCD screen already installed in a new frame and as such transferred the innards from the old frame to the new frame. If it was the original frame there would be a big patch of yellow adhesive on the frame just as you see on the battery. Everything looks good otherwise, just make sure that you find screws to hold down the battery connection.

See example below for a frame replacement

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295...chweb201603_53
    Last edited by yamahammer; 10-08-19 at 05:20 PM.
    10-08-19 04:26 PM
    OK thanks for the continuing input. Might sound like a dumb question but where would I procure such tiny screws? Guess I'll have to turn to the Internet again. Not like my local Source or Staples would have such things. (And when I was a little kid I would've got such things, had they existed, @ Radio Shack.)

Posted via CB10
    10-08-19 08:46 PM
    OK thanks for the continuing input. Might sound like a dumb question but where would I procure such tiny screws? Guess I'll have to turn to the Internet again. Not like my local Source or Staples would have such things. (And when I was a little kid I would've got such things, had they existed, @ Radio Shack.)

Posted via CB10
    PM me and give me your address and I'll pop a couple in the mail for you.
    10-08-19 09:06 PM
    PM me and give me your address and I'll pop a couple in the mail for you.
    Done! And thank you muchly!
    10-09-19 08:11 PM
    Done! And thank you muchly!
    Will mail tomorrow
    10-09-19 08:14 PM
61 123