Thanks to the helpful advice I received here and on YouTube, I was able to take apart my Key2 and replace the battery. But now, there's a new problem. The PKB no longer works. I can make calls and send emails (using touchscreen input), but no PKB. I also can't use the thumbprint reader to unlock my phone.

And yet, the PKB is maybe not completely dead. There have been times, intermittently, when I've been able to make a letter show up on the screen by pressing down harder than usual on the PKB. The keyboard lights even came on at one point.

I have not yet tried to charge the phone (as I'm kind of afraid to).

The phone in question: Blackberry KEY2 BBF100-2 64GB 4G LTE GSM

Any advice?
    07-02-22 09:44 AM
    Thanks to the helpful advice I received here and on YouTube, I was able to take apart my Key2 and replace the battery. But now, there's a new problem. The PKB no longer works. I can make calls and send emails (using touchscreen input), but no PKB. I also can't use the thumbprint reader to unlock my phone.

And yet, the PKB is maybe not completely dead. There have been times, intermittently, when I've been able to make a letter show up on the screen by pressing down harder than usual on the PKB. The keyboard lights even came on at one point.

Any advice?
    The keyboard flex connector is most likely partially disconnected.
    07-02-22 02:17 PM

Any advice?
    I just bought the same model phone in what appeared on the surface out of the box to be in perfect condition that was guaranteed 100% functional or your money back if returned in 30 days.

Well, it turns out that I was unable to set it up on Wi-Fi because I couldn’t type in my Wi-Fi passphrase. Then managed to get a SIM activated on my MVNO to skip through any typing requirement and get to the main screen and open settings. Turned on the virtual touchscreen keyboard and started analyzing the physical keyboard issues.

Turns out, they are similar to yours and then some. All the physical keys do not work. Made me wonder if this was a refurb?

Intermittent where you can make a letter show up by pressing harder. Backlit keyboard showing up a little. Sounds familiar.

Not sure if this is due to age resulting in fatigue or the eventual breakdown of the keyboard and its related components and connections? Wonder if anyone knows how these keyboards wear and if they wear out after a certain period of time or just progressively?

Remove the thumbprint requirement, if you can, with touch screen access to the settings. Run a Keyboard Diagnostic on the phone. I don’t know how to do so, but others do. Get complete instructions. Watch videos. Just be sure you learn how to do it and are very comfortable with every aspect of doing so and can exit the diagnostic mode. You don’t want to brick your phone.

Then look into the cost of keyboard replacement and how to do it. I wouldn’t try it, but there are expert technicians that know how to do this. You may then salvage your phone.

No one has told me that software configuration or settings will resolve these issues, but if you learn of any, please let me know?

Can’t comment about attempting to charge it. You certainly don’t want to fry it if something is wrong, but you’ll need expert advice if there is any harm in trying. Most won’t give any advice on a DIY project such as yours.

I took mine to a Blackberry Repair Center Owner who also showed it to his Technician. He told me that I would encounter keyboard issues and to send it right back.
    07-02-22 03:13 PM